PDA

View Full Version : Tire Choice?

CraigR53
24th October 2015, 02:14 PM
A subject thats like asking 'Whats the best wax?'...
but my front to Runflats are about to end their life and I want to get rid of all of them all.

Im not looking to break the bank just want some decent tires.

Heard decent things about Kumos coming in about £77 a tire...

Had P Zeros on the front of my R56 last winter and they were good but were almost needing replaced at easter, wasn't too impressed with longevity.

Any input would be great :)

Ianstwt_r59
24th October 2015, 02:15 PM
Iv got kumho ku39s on mine. Great grip

badwolf340
24th October 2015, 03:11 PM
Iv got kumho ku39s on mine. Great grip
Think Pete has these and speaks highly of them

Crombers
24th October 2015, 04:21 PM
Changed to Kumho 39's after a decade of Pirelli run flats on the 17's & will probably fit them to the 18's at refurb time next year.

Well impressed thus far :thumbs up:

Craig
24th October 2015, 04:58 PM
Yeah Pete loves his KU39's and raves about them in all conditions.

I have Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on the Panda and I love them. For the cash they are tremendous in the wet (well we do live in Scotland! :) ) and I haven't had any issues with them in the dry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
24th October 2015, 06:00 PM
Cat has those tyres on her One too and says they are good, although compared with the Colway Sliders she had on previously that wouldn't be hard.
I've got Continentals on mine and love them. They are equally as good in the wet as they are in the dry and I'm happy to rate them very highly, Not too much road noise with them and they appeared to have lasted well through the punishment they've had. Think I'll be replacing them with like for like unless a deal springs up for something else :):)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eddie_JCW
24th October 2015, 06:52 PM
I also run Uniroyal RS3's and they are by far the best tyres I've used. Contis would be my second choice but if you're looking for a tyre for every day it has to be the RS3's I can get all my power down in the wet with no issues, I honestly don't know how they can be so good for relatively little money.

Angib
24th October 2015, 07:11 PM
For 17s, having read good things about them, I thought I had to try the Michelin Super Sports (made for the GP2). I had trouble believing just how much better then even the Contis they are - head and shoulders above everything else I've driven under all circumstances (though not brilliant in mud!). While they are expensive, I reckon they are the cheapest handling upgrade going. Probably not worth it for suburban use, but out in the country they are spectacular. Switching to winters this year is going to be a nasty shock.

badwolf340
24th October 2015, 08:07 PM
For 17s, having read good things about them, I thought I had to try the Michelin Super Sports (made for the GP2). I had trouble believing just how much better then even the Contis they are - head and shoulders above everything else I've driven under all circumstances (though not brilliant in mud!). While they are expensive, I reckon they are the cheapest handling upgrade going. Probably not worth it for suburban use, but out in the country they are spectacular. Switching to winters this year is going to be a nasty shock.
Just to be clear ,GP2 did not come with MSS ,they came as standard with Kuhmo V700 tyres but in the USA you could chose normal road tyres

Angib
24th October 2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the correction - the good thing that it was for the GP2 that Michelin were persuaded to make the Super Sports in a 'normal' size as almost all the other sizes are 18 and above in 25-40 aspect ratio, which include OEM use on some Porsches and Ferraris. And I'm not surprised as they feel good enough for that use.

CraigR53
24th October 2015, 09:04 PM
So Kuhmos or RS3 hmmmmmm

badwolf340
24th October 2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the correction - the good thing that it was for the GP2 that Michelin were persuaded to make the Super Sports in a 'normal' size as almost all the other sizes are 18 and above in 25-40 aspect ratio, which include OEM use on some Porsches and Ferraris. And I'm not surprised as they feel good enough for that use.
Super sports are great tyres ,why they went with Kuhmo must have been down to purely the grip they provided as they only lasted about 2000 miles on our GP's

CraigR53
24th October 2015, 09:12 PM
That's a big factor for me, I've achieved 6k to shows runs and work since MMM, which has best lifespan?

CiderFex
25th October 2015, 09:06 AM
As mentioned above I swear by Kumho KU39's.
The ones that I had on my OEM GP alloys had done well o'er 15K had still had 5mm on the fronts with quite a lot of "spirited" driving.
When I fitted my T.D. Imola R.S. another full set of 39's were fitted as soon as the weather improved enough to remove The Winters.
I have only had a couple of "moments" when using them but that was when I hit about 2" of standing water on the M74 on the way back home after The Glencoe Run.
I fear that a lesser tyre would not have left me still on the tarmac.
For my driving ability they suit all conditions that are thrown at them.
In the wet they give out loads of confidence, in the dry they are nice a grippy but not enough to wear them out too quickly and the even once got me home through 2" snow but I honestly wouldn't use them as a permanent Winter tyre with everyday use.
To say that they are a "Ultra High Performance Summer Tyre" they are quiet, comfortable, great in the wet (they have an A wet rating) and they last for ages.
Will I buy them again, yes.
Would I recommend them to anyone, yes.

Davy can vouch for how far I pushed 1499 when these had been on the car for less than two weeks as he followed me for quite a while on The H.B.T.

I didn't too bad following William with them on on The Glencoe Run either.

The only thing that let them down was my confidence and ability.

Just to prove their use and value Sussex Road & Race now use them on their race MINI's.
(they must've heard about my driving on The H.B.T.)
;)

p.s. Myself, my wife, all of my close relatives do not work for Kumho or any of their subsidiaries and I do not receive any financial gain from recommending their products.
It's a shame really 'cos if I did I'd be minted.
:)

ELFMAN
26th October 2015, 04:07 PM
I've been running Continental Sport Contact 3's for a couple of years or more now and have been happy with them. Especially after the runflats! Looking to change in the near future as a couple of them are getting a bit low on tread now (done the back to front swap already), so I could either go for the same again or maybe the newer CSC5's which are supposed to be good according to the EVO tyre test from a while back. I could probably get away with just getting 2 to be honest, but fresh rubber all round quite appeals! Interesting to read others' experiences though. Tyres often get overlooked despite being arguably the main thing that separates you from a rather large accident!

Any tips on where's the best place to buy from? I got my CSC3's from my Mini dealer as they actually sourced them cheaper than the prices I got from the usual online outlets... Strange but true!

ps Sorry not been on here for ages - family situation etc. Anyway, I'm still alive!!!!

Blueboy
26th October 2015, 05:27 PM
I buy all my tyres from Skidz in Falkirk, always get a good deal

DigitalLemming
26th October 2015, 06:23 PM
I'm running Continental Sport Contact 3's as well, haven;t had any problems with them, had them on all last winter as well and didn't get stuck, a bit slippy one day, but that was my fault for going out in the snow :thumbs up:

Got my last set from black circles bought online and delivered to a local garage for fitting, saved a decent amount over National and Kwik Fit from what I can remember.

Angib
26th October 2015, 06:33 PM
I've been running Continental Sport Contact 3's for a couple of years or more now....
Given the list of performance improvements in your signature, you sound like someone who could make use of Pilot Super Sports - they really are a big step up from the Contis. The extra bite in the steering on turn-in would amaze you.

jo123ke
26th October 2015, 06:39 PM
I'm running them just now brilliant tyre
Pilot super sports

CraigR53
26th October 2015, 06:53 PM
Interesting to me that there is so much hate for run-flats. On the r56 I had p-zeros front and some mid range on the back (can't remember) all standard tires. I don't know if it's a change of model related feeling but I feel 10x more confident throwing my r53 (with run flats) about over the r56.

Also enjoying this discussion! I think the Kumhos might be on my shopping list however, really good price for the reviews you guys are giving

EcosseGP
26th October 2015, 08:19 PM
^^ I have no issues with run flats and once you know their limits they're just as good as any other tyre. I know that they can't be pushed to the same limits as non run flats but they serve a purpose for those looking for peace of mind travelling big distances or in the fear "what if I get a puncture" :)

badwolf340
26th October 2015, 08:33 PM
ps Sorry not been on here for ages - family situation etc. Anyway, I'm still alive!!!![/QUOTE]
Really great to see you posting Euan

CiderFex
26th October 2015, 08:42 PM
I never really gave the run flats a hammering on 1499 but when I drove GP0002 around Silverstone I ragged the nuts off it with run flats fitted and they amazed me !!
I suppose that my confidence was sky high as I knew that I was not paying for any damage caused but they held their own on a track with my limited driving talents.
The first thing that I really noticed when changing to normal tyres was just how quiet they are in comparison.

CraigR53
26th October 2015, 08:45 PM
I have Dunlop Sport RF on mine right now, not going to lie, pretty bad in the wet. But don't really have a bad thing to say about them apart from how bumpy my life is in town

EcosseGP
26th October 2015, 09:18 PM
Like Pete says Craig you'll notice a massive difference in the ride quality for starters and also the tyre noise just changing from RFs to NRFs

ELFMAN
27th October 2015, 12:17 PM
Given the list of performance improvements in your signature, you sound like someone who could make use of Pilot Super Sports - they really are a big step up from the Contis. The extra bite in the steering on turn-in would amaze you.

Cheers. Yes, definitely food for thought... I do like the Contis, but anything which makes the car better to drive is certainly worth the extra few £££. I do a relatively tiny mileage, so they'd last for ages! I have Works suspension which can be a wee bit lumpy on a lot of our roads (its great on the smoother stuff!), so having the best rubber would make the most of it. Certainly highlights the importance of 'joined up thinking' when it comes to tyres, wheels and suspension.

:off topic:Still swithering about going for Rota Blitz or similar lightweight alloys, rather than just sticking new tyres on my Crown Spokes. Having less unsprung weight at the corners has to be a good thing! Not sure exactly how much less the Rotas weigh, but it could improve things. Have to "weigh" up the possible improvement of a wheel swap versus the extra cost though. Also takes away the 'standard' look of the car... Hmmm.

- - - Updated - - -

Like Pete says Craig you'll notice a massive difference in the ride quality for starters and also the tyre noise just changing from RFs to NRFs

I scared myself far too many times on my runflats! Especially in cold/greasy conditions. More skip than grip on my setup. I still have to watch want I'm doing from time to time, but it's SO much better without the rather 'wooden' feeling I had with the runflats. I know runflats have improved in recent years though, so the difference might not be as huge as it used to be?

- - - Updated - - -

Really great to see you posting Euan

Cheers, it's good to get the old MINI part of what's left of my brain back in gear! I may be on less these days, but I'm still NMS!

ELFMAN
28th October 2015, 12:34 AM
Found this on Blackcircles for the
Michelin Pilot Super Sport;
205/45 R17 Y (88) £120.36 Fully Fitted Price

Does the price look right?
Is the weight rating correct for MINI?

Angib
28th October 2015, 12:49 PM
Does the price look right?
Is the weight rating correct for MINI?
The price is good. For a laugh, I asked my dealer how much these would be and the screen showed about £100 and £170 per tyre - £170 was the retail price, so my guess is that £100 is the wholesale price to the dealer. I ended up paying £155 per tyre with my local tyre shop who I prefer to use.

88Y is the correct rating - this is an XL tyre which the Mini doesn't need (my original tyres were 84V) but it also has a * or (*) on the end, indicating it is a tyre approved by BMW/Mini.

ELFMAN
28th October 2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks for that! Before I read your post I had just nipped out to confirm my Contis as '84V'

Just out of interest, I checked the difference between the 84 and 88 rating on Black Circles chart and it seems the 88 is good for an extra 60kg load over the 84. Is this down to tyre construction and does it have any effect on how the tyre operates on a 'lighter' vehicle? ie If the Mini only needs an 84, will an 88 be 'stiffer' as it's made to handle more load, or is any difference negligible (which it must be if BMW/Mini approve it). Obviously preferable to have more load capacity than not enough. I'm probably thinking too much about the minute details here!

Angib
28th October 2015, 08:23 PM
Some people seem to believe XL-rated tyres have stiffer sidewalls than regular ones, but I suspect that is a cast-iron fact because they once read it on the internet, where no misinformation is ever spread....

Do the XL Super Sports feel stiffer than the non-XL Contis they replaced? In bounce, no, though the steering response and bite is so increased that it's hard to tell if they are stiffer laterally. Basically the first week on the Super Sports I spent turning in and then taking steering lock off since they seem to dive into a turn so fast. I'm dreading going to my winter Contis as I think the steering will feel like genuine blancmange after the Super Sports.

There isn't a non-XL-rated Super Sport in this size, so XL is wot yer gets.

ELFMAN
29th October 2015, 12:48 PM
Many thanks again, most helpful! :thumbs up:

digi
10th December 2015, 06:17 PM
just my tupence worth . i fitted a set of general altimax on my roadster in the summer as i had no confidence in the runflats . so far im very impressed with them massive grip wet or dry and no skipping round rough corners .as a bench mark in the dry i can take the m876 to m8 corner at 70 with ease in the dry :-)
in the wet ive never had any problems with grip and still have them on the car now even though i know i realy should be on winters . for breaking efectiveness in the wet check out this wee youtube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-Z4Fwk8XU

EcosseGP
10th December 2015, 10:09 PM
No problems stopping there ... as a by the by what Garmin dash cam are you using ?

digi
11th December 2015, 02:44 AM
its this one Davy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Dash-Vehicle-Driving-Recorder/dp/B00I003X0Q

Blueboy
11th December 2015, 08:07 AM
Just bought couple of these for myself and Bruces wifes car as he has one in the Clubman and is great bit of kit, very unobtrusive under the rear view mirror
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snooper-DVR-1HD-HD-Dash-Camera/dp/B00O1VQZ3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1449817285&sr=1-1&keywords=snooper+dvr+1hd