PDA

View Full Version : Engine replaced.

AndyP & Lenore
20th October 2015, 01:00 AM
I've posted about all this on Facebook but I thought I should share this experience here for those not on our Facebook group.

About 8 weeks ago we started noticing a slight rattle from behind the dash Of our Countryman JCW. We just figured it was the usual 'MINI rattle' so just turned up the radio to drown it out. But it started to get worse and became a very slight knock. It also seemed to get worse when moving from engine idle to putting it into 'drive'. It's an auto box. We were due to go on holiday in another car for the second week in September so booked it in to Vardy in Edinburgh for them to have a look at when we got back.

So first Monday in October and we took it up to Vardy and on the way up we noticed the noise got very loud and it turned into a noticeable shudder along with loss of power if we put the car under load - overtaking. So we ended up cruising up to Vardy with Lenore uncharacteristically driving like miss daisy for half the journey.

Vardy initially thought it was the air con condenser so they replaced that but that wasn't the problem. They then took 10'days to diagnose the fault eventually using electronic stethoscopes on the enhpgine housing to try and figure out what had gone wrong inside, sending reports back to MINI for their input.

Eventually they reckoned the cam shaft was buggered. Either bent or off kilter or something had gone very very wrong with it. So the decision was taken to replace the entire engine.

Replacement engine was on back order so it was another 10'days before we got our car back but it's been fine since.

So the next time you detect a slight rattle from your dash it may not just be the usual MINI dash rattle, it could be your camshaft is shafted. :sad:

Andy.

badwolf340
20th October 2015, 06:27 PM
never good ,but the main thing is its fixed and you have it back....what sort of miles where on it ??

Craig
20th October 2015, 07:02 PM
Glad they fixed it for you... Hopefully no more mishaps with the car :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINI William
20th October 2015, 09:31 PM
Pleased that it's all fixed now.

AndyP & Lenore
20th October 2015, 11:45 PM
never good ,but the main thing is its fixed and you have it back....what sort of miles where on it ??

Only about 3,800 ish. :thud:

ELFMAN
12th November 2015, 10:18 PM
Just read this. Glad you got everything sorted Andy, not a very good advert for MINI though... Hopefully a one-off. Still, it's a hell of a lot of hassle just to get Lenore to slow down... :smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
12th November 2015, 10:37 PM
Just read this. Glad you got everything sorted Andy, not a very good advert for MINI though... Hopefully a one-off. Still, it's a hell of a lot of hassle just to get Lenore to slow down... :smilewinkgrin:

"Slow down" What are you on about? She's got a split new engine to raj! PMSL. :lol: