PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Run 18/6/05 - are you scared of the dark?

The Dogfather
19th September 2004, 04:34 AM
Check out this thread (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4612)

Anymore takers for this groundbreaking run?

Notice I've brought the date forward as not to clash with the international MINI event.

How about some sleep deprivation? Fancy venturing into the twilight zone.........:evil:

I've had an idea for run which takes in the most deserted roads and interesting scenery in Scotland, but this run is a bit different because it'll be done during the early hours of the morning:eek:. As most of you will be aware during the middle of summer it doesn't really get dark in the far north of Scotland, so here is the plan: -

Set out from Inverness (or Ullapool) about 8-9pm drive up to John O'Groats for a late night BBQ and maybe a quick couple of hours kip :sleepy: (in the cars) whilst it's dark(ish). Then set out at first light (after a shed load of coffee, proplus and redbull) about 2-3am and drive along the north coast through Thurso, Tongue and onto Durness. Then down the west coast road to Ullapool for Breakfast and then back to Inverness.

The roads between Thurso and Ullapool are the most amazing in the UK and are practically deserted even at weekends. I just driven the route and apart from a few question marks over fuel stops this can be done. So who's interested? Just notes of interest for now!

The list (no limits - even may allow some non mini's to join us:eek:)

1. BDM
2. Martin S
3. Sean and Una
4. Duncan Stewart
5. Sheilz
6. Julz (mibee)
7. Crombers
8. Sleepyrascal (mibee)
9. Eggy
10. Nenah
11. My Boss (BMW M3)
12. My mate (lotus esprit)
12 a. Fiona MINI
14 Fiona 4x4
15. DNV122
16. KinghornCheck out this thread!!! (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4612)Check out this thread! (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4612)http (http://)

MartinSullivan
19th September 2004, 04:40 AM
Me!!!!!

seany
20th September 2004, 10:09 PM
me and una.

applecross has good roads to.

The Dogfather
20th September 2004, 10:11 PM
True - but Applecross would add an extra 150 miles and is worth a run in it's own right!

Eggy7496
20th September 2004, 11:54 PM
count me in paul, do u have a rough date?

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 12:13 AM
Eric - Erm, midsummer night is always the 21st June, just as the title of the run says. A bit far off but there's a lot of planning to be done!

seany
21st September 2004, 03:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

True - but Applecross would add an extra 150 miles and is worth a run in it's own right!

true at that.

Duncan Stewart
21st September 2004, 04:50 AM
Sounds like a great ideal Paul. Sign me up :D

Sheilz
21st September 2004, 07:51 AM
Sounds MAGIC. Would love to do it. One thing. the 21st is the longest day of the year, Midsummers Day is actually the 24th ( sorry to be a smartass, but they really aren't one and the same thing). I often chose either of these dates to go up Bennachie to watch the sunrise. Its pretty cool being on the hillside and hearing loads of other people having their picnics even though you cant see them. Some people are more ambitious with the climbing and do Lochnagar.
:D:D:D

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 04:14 PM
Doh! Looks like it'll be the 24th then, glad you chose to be the smart ass otherwise I could have looked really silly! That's actually a lot better as it's a Friday.

Julz
21st September 2004, 06:28 PM
I'll have to be a mibee, as that is the weekend of the INMM in Belgium.... chocolates and beer mmmmmmmmmmmm....:p:clown:

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 06:29 PM
I'll put you down as a mibee then Julz.

Crombers
21st September 2004, 09:02 PM
Great idea , add me to ra list

seany
21st September 2004, 10:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I'll have to be a mibee, as that is the weekend of the INMM in Belgium.... chocolates and beer mmmmmmmmmmmm....:p:clown:

you wishing Julz.

sleepyrascal
22nd September 2004, 07:11 AM
Ill be a maybe if thats ok BDM. Dates etc would be the only thing stopping me going..

Eggy7496
22nd September 2004, 11:45 PM
im not on the list, lol. im comming. (5th post down)

PS. how do u do the copying thing were previous people posts are shown but smaller?

The Dogfather
22nd September 2004, 11:59 PM
Sorry mate, missed you out. Click on the reply with quote icon in the post you wish to quote.

Eggy7496
23rd September 2004, 06:59 PM
aaahhhh thanks, theres always a simple solution, see that now you learn something everyday (at actually applies to me, lol)

The Dogfather
24th September 2004, 04:04 AM
Should I post this on MINI2?

MartinSullivan
24th September 2004, 04:44 AM

Should I post this on MINI2?

Depends - I think you would get a hell of a lot of interest on Mini2, but it might end up "being too much interest" and make it very hard to organise.

Its early days yet, give it time for people to sign up - I have a few non mini driving friends who fancy it so I am sure we will get plenty of interest.

The Dogfather
24th September 2004, 06:23 AM
Good point I'll wait. There's quite a few M2 people who come onto this site anyway....

Gismo
24th September 2004, 05:23 PM
Feel free to post up on MINI2, it's where we all began, i know a few don't post anymore, but, as the event organiser you can limit the attendee's as you see fit.
One thing though, it means you'll have two sites to keep updated.

Personally i wouldn't have thought there would be much interest from MINI2, mainly due to the location of your run

The Dogfather
24th September 2004, 05:30 PM
Cheers Alan, I'm going to keep this NMS only as I lot of the M2 people come here anyway. Are you interested in coming along depending on work?

MartinSullivan
24th September 2004, 05:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Feel free to post up on MINI2, it's where we all began

I thought it all started with Adam and Eve??? Or is this the new revised bible according to Bonnie Scotland :D

And on the seventh day god created the mini......

Gismo
24th September 2004, 06:10 PM
Are you interested in coming along depending on work?
Hmm, I don't commit to runs now as it only leads to disappointment nearer the time when i can't go :( I'll just wait and see what happens, will advise nearer to the event

Nenah
25th October 2004, 06:44 AM
I'm happy to be added as a maybe to the list please. :)Its a little advance for me also but the run sounds like good fun as I'm def. a night person and love the idea of traffic free roads and a sunrise finish! :cool:

sleepyrascal
25th October 2004, 08:51 AM
The roads up there are pretty awsome. I have only ever done it in a Defender, but I had as much fun as I could have.... well, actually as much fun as I could have whilst driving.... well, actually as much fun as I could have whilst driving alone... eh.. DOH!! You know what I mean!

I especially liked the big gravel pits on the down slopes just before Wick for when your pushing a few to many MPHs!

Duncan Stewart
25th October 2004, 05:31 PM
Date change is great Paul - suits me better. Are you looking at Sat Night / Sunday morning run now? I think that would suit folks more than the Fri / Sat plan.
Cheers :D

The Dogfather
25th October 2004, 05:33 PM
Duncan - Yes, I know it's not quite mid summers eve but I think this date is better all round.

Scottie
25th October 2004, 05:45 PM
Now the date has changed can I come but could it be one Mini and one non Mini 4x4. Please

MartinSullivan
25th October 2004, 05:51 PM
Date change is fine by me Paul - let me know if you are planning on opening it to non minis - got a few people that would be interested

The Dogfather
25th October 2004, 06:36 PM
Definately open to non minis - So far a Lotus Esprit and New M3 maybe joining us!

The Dogfather
9th November 2004, 07:48 PM
I've decided to post this on MINI2 as I'm hoping to get a big turn out.

I'm keen to get other Car Clubs involved so far the Capri and Scooby Club have been suggested.

Sheilz
10th November 2004, 09:05 AM
Change of date is fine with me too. Save me fibbing to me ma about why I'm not visiting her on her birthday! :I:D

Duncan Stewart
10th November 2004, 05:51 PM
Don't forget to invite the scottish mini clubs
http://www.miniclan.com/
http://www.caledonianminiclub.com/
http://amoc.8k.com/
http://minisininverness.co.uk/
More minis the better :D

The Dogfather
10th November 2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks Duncan will do!

Julz
10th November 2004, 06:27 PM

I've decided to post this on MINI2 as I'm hoping to get a big turn out.

I'm keen to get other Car Clubs involved so far the Capri and Scooby Club have been suggested.

Does that mean we could come in Robs car for a change??:D

The Dogfather
10th November 2004, 06:48 PM
Or even bring both!

The Dogfather
10th November 2004, 09:45 PM
That's the other MINI/mini clubs notified....

DNV122
15th November 2004, 02:03 AM
Paul,

After your description yesterday, put me down as a 'mibee's aye' - hopefully it'll all become clearer nearer the time....

KINGHORN
21st November 2004, 06:10 AM
ohohohohoh mememememememe providing im onshore offcourse

KINGHORN
24th January 2005, 06:38 AM
ok im defo onshore for this( at the mo anyway) got a mate in an audi s3 that wants to join, that cool

Heather
24th January 2005, 07:41 AM
The miniclan already have a run on the 18th. Its their midsummer run.

The Dogfather
24th January 2005, 05:38 PM
Kinghorn - As long as you can vouch that this guy isn't some raving loony then I've no problem with him coming along.

Heather - Shame that the miniclan have a run on this day as well, would have been good to do a joint event.

KINGHORN
24th January 2005, 09:31 PM
nope he aint no looney its me u got to watch out for

The Dogfather
24th January 2005, 09:40 PM
Yeah I know;).

Mind you I reckon you'll calm down after next months date with destiny. :eek:

KINGHORN
25th January 2005, 03:01 AM
TRUE, im letting the bird drive on main roads hehe

sleepyrascal
30th January 2005, 12:56 AM
Sorry again Bad Dog, Im out of this one.

Its not just your runs im diving out of, its cullen etc also so no offence!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

Cheers BD!!

DNV122
30th January 2005, 03:56 AM
Paul,

I'm still planning for this experience and trying to persuade a friend of mine also (I wont tell you what he drives until I get him to agree !)

(sorry about all the hassle with the mats etc. I hust find it impossible to get organised during the week and I need most of the weekend to recover...)

Phil.

Scottie
30th January 2005, 04:14 AM
Paul,

not forgotten about petrol stations.

Our nothern retail rep is finding out who would open for us and if any of the national sites (BP) have Ultimate or if any of the Shell Gleaner sites have opitmax..

The Dogfather
30th January 2005, 04:16 AM
Thanks Fiona!

Why the change Sleepy? You not selling the Mini R U?

Phil, no problem with the mats, more the merrier on the Twilight Run.

sleepyrascal
30th January 2005, 09:26 AM
No BD. As I was saying to Nenah, I am on a work placement at the moment which is taking me all over the place during the week. Unfortunately it is an unpaid placement so i'm working every hour of every weekend. Just trying to keep my spending as low as poss at the moment, not helped by Having forking out just short of £600 on new run flats after one tyre was over inflated, the other punctured and the other two at 3 mil. I'm getting my fuel paid by the company i'm working for which is a bonus though!

The Dogfather
30th January 2005, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear cash is tight, hope it'll be worth it in the long run!

DNV122
12th February 2005, 04:06 AM
It's awffy quiet in this thread with 4 months to go (not long now !).

I've got some plans to take some good photos - anyone got ideas on where (or even have a good hi-res digi cam) ?

The Dogfather
12th February 2005, 07:18 AM
Phil, I'm going to reccie the route next month, I'm trying to get hold of a video camera and mount so I can film the drive, no luck so far. Scottie Coop is finding out which garages will be opening late so everything is coming together.

There's some great views just before and after Tongue one of Ben Loyal and Ben Hope. We also go past that hill that Clarkson drove the Land Rover up..... There's fantastic scenery all the way round the route. My camera 6 MP so I should be able to get to good pictures weather permitting.

sleepyrascal
12th February 2005, 10:13 AM
http://www.hammerheadtv.com/

BD, these guys can supply everything you could ever want. For hire. It can get expensive though!

You get a thing called a magic arm. BAsically it attaches to anything and can be angled to any direction. You would not be able to use a DV cam on a car mount unless you like broken cameras. Moisture, debris and flying stones are a death sentance to a camera!

The Dogfather
12th February 2005, 07:18 PM
But it'd be OK on the inside right?

DNV122
13th February 2005, 02:10 AM
Paul,

I presume you've got a video. If not, I guess my trusty Sony miniDV would do. I remember guys on Mini2 jamming it in between seat and headrest !

When are you thinking of doing the recce...

sleepyrascal
13th February 2005, 10:35 AM

But it'd be OK on the inside right?

Oh yeh its fine inside. I thought you were doing tracking shots or something..

minimadtez
20th March 2005, 03:28 AM
Yeah im up for that.....loads of classic runs/shows coming up so as long as Im free ill be there :)

can i be thick and ask for the date to be clarified?! as loads of dates have been mentioned (i aint even blonde!).

Gismo
20th March 2005, 03:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by minimadtez
can i be thick and ask for the date to be clarified?! as loads of dates have been mentioned (i aint even blonde!).
You could always check the thread title ;)

minimadtez
20th March 2005, 03:45 AM
i was going by the thread title but ppl mentioned other dates....that just COMPLETELY confused me! lol (doesnt take much!)
i dont wanna be turning up on the wrong day :D (and NO, dont get any ideas :cool:)

I Want A Works
29th March 2005, 09:31 AM
Just to prove what a saddo I am (NO comments TEZ) I've got a program on me pc that tells me sunrise times etc etc. On Sun 19th June 2005, sunrise at John O Groats will be at 0402, with first light being about 0330ish. Just discoved that I'm on night shift that night :( so can't come and see you all!:( aw well, will just have to see if I can get the nights off!

EDIT! OOPS!:blackeye: those times are GMT, so add an hour on so first light will be about 0430ish! silly me!:clown:

The Dogfather
30th March 2005, 02:53 AM
Graham according to one of the golfing websites first light is around 3.30am for Central Scotland given that it's further North then sunrise should be 3.02 so it must be take an hour off.

This sounds about right 'cause when I used to walk home from the nightclubs in summer it was just coming light.

I Want A Works
30th March 2005, 03:04 AM
mmm 0402 gmt is 0502 bst, aint it??
I'll warn you though that petrol here is running around 90p a litre just now (can u see why i drive a diesel!!!!) Mind you, as you will all have to drive through Wick (poor yous) to get to John O Groats, there is always ELMTREE FILLING STATION
http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=949
It is open till 11pm on a Saturday night, and is on the A99, the road you have to follow! Not to bad, and I'm sure that if you got in contact with them, they might open bit later!

The Dogfather
30th March 2005, 03:50 AM
11pm - Cheers Graham I'll pop in when we do the reccie next week.

I Want A Works
15th April 2005, 05:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by I Want A Works

Just to prove what a saddo I am (NO comments TEZ) I've got a program on me pc that tells me sunrise times etc etc. On Sun 19th June 2005, sunrise at John O Groats will be at 0402, with first light being about 0330ish. Just discoved that I'm on night shift that night :( so can't come and see you all!:( aw well, will just have to see if I can get the nights off!

EDIT! OOPS!:blackeye: those times are GMT, so add an hour on so first light will be about 0430ish! silly me!:clown:

DOH! Stupid me! That weekend is midsummer weekend isn't it! I remember last year cos I was sober cos I was driving after a night out and first light was about 230ish!

Sorry for sounding stupid and causing any distress :D