PDA

View Full Version : Spare tire for runflats

norbu
8th October 2015, 08:40 AM
1) The car came with runflats. Not my choice/decision.

2) The runflats are on 19" wheels. :frown: Again not my choice/decision.

3) Some of the places that I go to I would be struggling to get 50 miles to a tire fitter. :frown:

4) Can't afford a complete set of "ordinary" tires.

So what are my choices? Buy another complete runflat tire/wheel?

Buy a spacesaver? Not bothered if it doesn't fit in the boot. If so what size of wheel/tyre. Looked on E-Bay but all the spacesavers I could find came with tires that weren't new. Not too keen on that!

Anyone got any good ideas?(sensible ones please :thumbs up: )

bpirie1000
8th October 2015, 08:59 AM
Tyre foam that goies in the shell should you get a flat..

be very nice to Mr recovery truck....

Angib
8th October 2015, 11:19 AM
If you have 19" wheels, that sounds like a Countryman or Paceman. I don't know what they have in the way of a spare wheel well but hopefully someone who knows will chip in.

Mini do not list a spacesaver for these models but they do sell a 16" steel wheel for use with winter tyres. If there is a big enough spare wheel well, you could buy one of these and fit it with a 195/60R16 standard tyre. This would be a temporary spare wheel, not something to drive around on much, but better than a spacesaver. You would also need to buy a jack and wheelbrace to be able to change the wheel.

There is no problem driving with three 19" wheels and one 16" wheel as the different tyre heights make the outside tyre diameter about the same. Not a combination to practice your racing skills with but, again, better than a spacesaver.

Or you could just not worry about it and when more than 50 miles from civilisation, use the runflats to get you to where there is a phone signal to call for a recovery truck. A flat runflat driven for 50 miles is scrap, so you could also just drive on the runflat more than 50 miles. The official guidance is no more than 50 miles for people who may or may not stick to the 50mph runflat limit. Drive slowly and carefully and I bet the flat runflat will a hundred miles. particularly as you won't be on major roads much, if you started 50 miles from anywhere.

And when you get to a tyre place, will they have a 19" runflat in stock? If not, and you've destroyed the flat runflat by driving the 50 miles, you are just stranded somewhere with a bad coffee machine and a toilet.

I think runflats are largely a mental reassurance for those who like to worry (and for guys who want to say "oh, my girlfriend/partner is far too attractive to be able to stop at the roadside"). In reality, they are probably better off calling out a rescue service when they get a flat tyre, runflat or not.

CiderFex
8th October 2015, 01:37 PM
I always carry one of these in the back of the GP.....

Slime 1800330 10914 Tyre Repair Set for Automobile Tyres with Dispensor by Slime http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003QHY000/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_LnMfwbSHH04V7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueboy
8th October 2015, 02:59 PM
aye that will get you home. We use a similar kinda stuff in the tyres of our Harleys, get a puncture and it automatically seals and even save you from a blowout, we have it in our tyres all the time!

norbu
8th October 2015, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. As regards slime/foam I've tried this in the past & the phrase chocolate teapot comes to mind. It won't seal a large hole & that's also a problem, of course, with the runflats. Try getting out of the far reaches of Assynt with a knackered tire, no mobile signal & being eaten alive by midgies...when it isn't raining or indeed snowing.

It's got to be totally reliable. Is there an answer apart from a spacesaver? Can't see any other way at the mo. :frown::frown:

Angib
8th October 2015, 07:02 PM
The point about a runflat is that it can be driven flat, whatever the size of puncture. So you might be one of the few people who would actually benefit from runflats.

Get a puncture, drive slowly home, get the runflat replaced. Replacement may not be easy so the totally reliable solution might be to buy a spare runflat tyre (tyre only) and keep that at home so that if you ever have to drive on a runflat, you have a replacement waiting to be used.

norbu
8th October 2015, 10:44 PM
Appreciate the sentiment but at approximately 220 miles from home I feel that this could be a tad too far. Especially if the tire is goosed rather than just an icky puncture. :sad:

Just for further info I have been with someone who completely ruined a runflat. Think bits of shredded rubber rather than a round black thing.:huh:

norbu
9th October 2015, 09:29 AM
So I'm thinking that a spacesaver is the most reasonable bet. Where to get one though. The stealers are pretty (VERY) expensive for this. Quite a lot on E-Bay but with old tyres. not keen on that. Looked at: http://www.minimotors.com/parts/MINI_Countryman_Paceman_Spare_Tire_17__Space_Saver _R60_R61--G2NMW7610 but somehow getting it from the good old USA isn't really on.

Any suggestions?

Ivano
9th October 2015, 01:23 PM
So I'm thinking that a spacesaver is the most reasonable bet. Where to get one though. The stealers are pretty (VERY) expensive for this. Quite a lot on E-Bay but with old tyres. not keen on that. Looked at: http://www.minimotors.com/parts/MINI_Countryman_Paceman_Spare_Tire_17__Space_Saver _R60_R61--G2NMW7610 but somehow getting it from the good old USA isn't really on.

Any suggestions?

Remember you get a NMS discount at Harry Fairbairn.

Drop a note in the Parts enquiries of the Harry Fairbairn section on the forum with your requirements and our Team will be happy to provide you with a quote.

norbu
10th October 2015, 04:43 PM
Thanks. Done that.