PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise

Captain clean
30th September 2015, 04:42 PM
Got a bit of a strange one here, see if anyone can shed some light. When i bought the Cooper diesel it had just passed a mot, and it has been checked over twice by my local garage(struts,springs,suspension bushes,wheel bearings etc). The problem is a strange semi metallic sound ping type noise. It happens if a slight undulation in the road(man hole cover etc), but not if going over a speed hump or pot hole,which has ruled out anything suspension wise. It has made this noise at low speed as i turned a slight corner, but there was a lip on the road surface.

There is no pulling to the steering or any effect on the handling,just a very annoying noise. It is not a constant noise as only heard every now and then.

Car is on 17 inch wheels with some cheap ish tyres, they are brand new tyres.

I have read that there has been an issue with the mini having a noisy steering rack.

Any suggestions to problem would be greatly appreciated.

Blueboy
30th September 2015, 05:04 PM
couldn't be the heat shield could it, seen a few asking about this on the Mini

EcosseGP
30th September 2015, 05:25 PM
Or the rear diffuser under the exhaust ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burple
1st October 2015, 03:28 PM
I know you said it just passed an MOT and had all the bushes checked.. but is the noise coming from the rear? Could be the rear anti roll bar bushes are starting to give out..
If you can jack up the car try to wobble the bar and see how it is?

Had this happen to my last car.. it seemed really random and always at low speeds, sometimes when turning too..

Hope that helps!