PDA

View Full Version : JCW stuttering..

Burple
11th September 2015, 10:20 AM
Mornings!

Just a quick question to see if anybody can shed some light..

I've noticed this happening a few times on a particular bit of road, so I thought I was just losing traction, but I tested it this morning and I think something might be up..
So when I accelerate reasonably hard (not foot to the floor) and the car gets to just about 4.5k revs, it stutters briefly. I tried it a couple of times to test this morning, and it happens every time in 3rd and 4th. feels like the traction control is coming on, or misfiring.
Any quick ideas as to what it might be? Could it be a dirty air filter? maybe a dodgy plug? Didn't have time to check the filter this morning, but I'd be surprised if it was that, it runs perfectly well the rest of the time, and the stutter seems to go at higher revs...
Could it be something more expensive?:confused::confused:

Cheers!

MINI William
11th September 2015, 10:33 AM
Mornings!

Just a quick question to see if anybody can shed some light..

I've noticed this happening a few times on a particular bit of road, so I thought I was just losing traction, but I tested it this morning and I think something might be up..
So when I accelerate reasonably hard (not foot to the floor) and the car gets to just about 4.5k revs, it stutters briefly. I tried it a couple of times to test this morning, and it happens every time in 3rd and 4th. feels like the traction control is coming on, or misfiring.
Any quick ideas as to what it might be? Could it be a dirty air filter? maybe a dodgy plug? Didn't have time to check the filter this morning, but I'd be surprised if it was that, it runs perfectly well the rest of the time, and the stutter seems to go at higher revs...
Could it be something more expensive?:confused::confused:

Cheers!

N14 or N18 as it could be the ever so common coking issue

Burple
11th September 2015, 11:33 AM
N14 or N18 as it could be the ever so common coking issue

14... I was hoping it wouldn't be that cos it gets a good run every day, it doesn't do 'round town' pootling about that often.
Is that known to just affect a certain rev range? I though it made the car sluggish all round..
I'll maybe pull a plug at the weekend if I get a chance and have a look. Are there any places around that do reasonably priced decoke/ walnut blast?

Cheers!

badwolf340
11th September 2015, 12:20 PM
Douglas from B&M (one of NMS sponsors) carrys out de coke and most other MINI related work

EcosseGP
11th September 2015, 12:36 PM
I think like the others have mentioned it's maybe a de coke that's required ... How many miles has it done ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MINI William
11th September 2015, 12:36 PM
As above Ewan, B&M do a decoke. I know Andrew has used them before for other bitd and bobs and has always rated them

Burple
11th September 2015, 05:54 PM
Might have to look into that then :( car's done 48k now so pribably about time to be fair.

Cheers!

MrMischief
11th September 2015, 10:18 PM
Ewan, if it's not the decoke issue, it sounds like it's stuttering as it comes on boost at 4.5k.
When was the fuel filter last changed, could be starvation...any pinking/retarded timing - does it feel sluggish?
Get it checked for error codes?

Burple
12th September 2015, 01:01 AM
Ewan, if it's not the decoke issue, it sounds like it's stuttering as it comes on boost at 4.5k.
When was the fuel filter last changed, could be starvation...any pinking/retarded timing - does it feel sluggish?
Get it checked for error codes?

Weirdly enough.. it didn't do it on the way home tonight. As far as I know the fuel filter has never been changed, unless that's done as part of a service. It doesnt feel particularly sluggish, and this has only happened a few times.. and only at that rev range.. so I was doubting the coking issue especially because it gets a good spirited run most days. I gonna check the air filter tomorrow as a start. Probably should get a code reader too ;) is it easy to change the fuel filter? Never tried :D makes sense that it could be the filter tho..

MrMischief
12th September 2015, 02:15 PM
I've never looked at the filter on the JCW yet, so look forward to hearing if it's an awkward bugger :popcorn: Most are normally just inline...just depends on their location as to how easy the job is! :thumbs up:

Burple
15th September 2015, 04:26 PM
Well...

Tested it again yesterday morning and on the way home and again this morning on the way in to work, as I thought the car being cold might have something to do with it (on the way home the car runs for longer before the faster bit of road) and would you believe it? no stuttering at all, either time..
This is just weird. Same fuel, same bit of road, car running for the same length of time, and nothing wrong.
Could it be a dodgy plug or lead?

MrMischief
16th September 2015, 04:49 AM
Could still be a partially choked fuel filter...or maybe a coil pack on the way out...or some dodgy fuel (pinking?)

Burple
18th September 2015, 03:52 PM
Could still be a partially choked fuel filter...or maybe a coil pack on the way out...or some dodgy fuel (pinking?)

No idea now.. I'll start with the cheapest option... different fuel. It always gets super unleaded, I'll just have to try some other stuff - that was Tesco super the last time cos it was closest..:hand::blush:

Anybody here tried Seafoam? (Lights touchpaper and legs it) ;):popcorn::dance::stirpot::D:D:smilewinkgrin:

Eddie_JCW
19th September 2015, 10:14 AM
Have you tried an ECU reset?

Burple
23rd September 2015, 12:18 PM
Have you tried an ECU reset?

Not tried that yet, could be a good shout if it happens again!

Did the Seafoam treatment over the weekend, with a new tankfull of fuel, and the car feels to be running more smoothly now.. might just have been the fuel, but there was plenty of crap came out with the treatment :D

MINI William
23rd September 2015, 12:44 PM
Thats good Ewan, Sounds like the seafoam done its job

MrMischief
24th September 2015, 05:08 AM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI/17-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_and_Filter_Replacement/17-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_and_Filter_Replacement.htm
Not tried that yet, could be a good shout if it happens again!

Did the Seafoam treatment over the weekend, with a new tankfull of fuel, and the car feels to be running more smoothly now.. might just have been the fuel, but there was plenty of crap came out with the treatment :D

Hope it lasts mate...here's a guide to changing the fuel filter if the stutter comes back. Bit of a PITA that BMW reckon it's a lifetime item :argh:

Burple
25th September 2015, 01:45 PM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI/17-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_and_Filter_Replacement/17-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_and_Filter_Replacement.htm

Hope it lasts mate...here's a guide to changing the fuel filter if the stutter comes back. Bit of a PITA that BMW reckon it's a lifetime item :argh:

Cheers! I have read about it beng a PITA to change as well, and a few folk on NAM saying that BMW reckon that it should only be changed 77-100K miles....
..you know that guide is for the R50/3? ;);) I'm not 100%.. but I *think* the pump is in the same place on the r56?

jonnie
29th October 2015, 07:21 PM
So my R53 s JCW has developed the same sort of problem, a stutter around 2-3000 revs under partial throttle, like during an easy overtake. My mechanic has suggested fuel filter or pump. Both are inside the tank. Filter is £20ish plus labour, if its the pump closer to £500 all in. Not sure whether to just go with the filter and hope that cures or just get both done while he's in there. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Eddie
31st October 2015, 08:50 AM
Check your plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie
31st October 2015, 08:51 AM
Check the maf sensor too jonnie

jonnie
31st October 2015, 02:09 PM
Plugs are new, just had service. Maf sensor good shout, I'll mention it when it goes back in on weds. Cheers guys.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

MrMischief
8th November 2015, 08:32 AM
How'd you get on?

jonnie
8th November 2015, 08:46 AM
How'd you get on?
Fuel filter changed and it was really dirty, even the little holder was full of crud. Also done the seafoam and its running much much better. Hopefully thats it cured.

badwolf340
8th November 2015, 03:55 PM
Fuel filter changed and it was really dirty, even the little holder was full of crud. Also done the seafoam and its running much much better. Hopefully thats it cured.
Hopefully that's it sorted :thumbs up:

MINI William
8th November 2015, 07:48 PM
Great that's it's running better

jonnie
10th November 2015, 07:44 PM
Cheers

EcosseGP
11th November 2015, 12:49 AM
Fingers crossed its sorted ... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burple
30th November 2015, 03:13 PM
So.... The Seafoam helped a little bit for a couple of days. Then it started happening again. Same as before, intermittent times at 4.5 - 5K revs :ragin::ragin:

SO I bit the bullet and started with the next cheapest option, got a new set of plugs from Lohen - £50. They're about the same price everywhere. Took a few days till I found the time to do it and.. well.. see the pics...

Spot the odd one out?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/burple72/12235019_10153773547058343_5596980351957245652_n_z pstikglduy.jpg

And again.. think there might be something up?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/burple72/12274418_10153773547148343_5917075545328660593_n_z psow5gysmf.jpg

:smilewinkgrin::hand:
So.. problem solved. One ruined plug. so now the car is back to running as normal. :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:
Last TLC service is due in 2K miles too.. Are the plugs included in that one?

Craig
30th November 2015, 03:52 PM
Great news Ewan that you got to the bottom of it :). Not sure what's in the services tbh...

MrMischief
30th November 2015, 05:59 PM
Ewan, they only change anything if the car requests it. Mine had completed 16k miles since previous service, car did not request oil, plugs, air filter, microfilter so they only carried out inspection service!! I created hell & everything was changed under TLC in the end, as per the little document you get when tlc is purchased, see my other post about it.

Plug looks goosed anyway!!

Burple
1st December 2015, 11:35 AM
Ewan, they only change anything if the car requests it. Mine had completed 16k miles since previous service, car did not request oil, plugs, air filter, microfilter so they only carried out inspection service!! I created hell & everything was changed under TLC in the end, as per the little document you get when tlc is purchased, see my other post about it.

Plug looks goosed anyway!!

Cheers!
Well when I take it in they'll be getting told NOT to touch the air filter or plugs:hand: (ITG filter and brand new plugs:smilewinkgrin:)
TBH, that's what I thought it felt like when accelerating, strange that it was intermittent tho. The spark from that one plug must have just been rubbish at those revs :D