PDA

View Full Version : Car Jacking

Big Col
17th September 2004, 03:45 PM
Lightbody has got me all worried in another post. He's said that using a BMW dealer to get tyres is a good thing as "they know how to jack the car". Is there anything I should be telling the guy that's doing my tyres tomorrow as he aint a BMW dealer...

Edit: moved to correct forum

Willie M
17th September 2004, 04:22 PM
Most standard trolley jacks don't fit under the MINI as it sits quite low to the ground. A simple solution is to drive the front or rear wheels, whichever you're attending to, onto a wooden block, slab or suchlike, thus raising the ground clearance :approve:

Alternatively use the MINI jack ;)

Julz
17th September 2004, 04:25 PM
Nothing fits under my car except a sheet of paper, I require 3 blocks of wood, 14 concrete blocks and a roll of sellotape!!:p

Big Col
17th September 2004, 04:53 PM
or Yoda...

Wul
17th September 2004, 05:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
or Yoda...

Hmmmm...car to the jack I see up you're going!:p

The reason trolley jacks have problems is that the MINI's jack points have a plastic surround and the scissor jack supplied fits neatly inside these to touch the chassis.

Cut a small block of wood which fits inside the plastic surround and sticks about 10mm below the edge to allow a trolley jack to get a good flat bit to jack on!

Scottie
17th September 2004, 05:54 PM
Well I ended up buying a Sealey low entery trolley jack 80mm my car has a clearance of 90mm.

Got it a trade.

Solves a few problems. Was fed up with bits of wood.

Big Gordy
17th September 2004, 06:00 PM
See I told you Wul knew more than just about Maguires stuff :p:D:approve:

Wul
17th September 2004, 06:08 PM
Sometimes i even work for my employer...sometimes!!:D

X30YES
18th September 2004, 06:01 AM
Jacking ,Polishing , wings , whats going on here

lightbody
18th September 2004, 08:53 PM
My comment about 'knowing how to jack up the car' was from experience of owning Classic Minis. They suffer damage to the floorpan if jacked up by an inexperienced mechanic shoving a trolley jack underneath willy nilly.

broken_brian
19th September 2004, 01:19 AM
yup last time i went to get tyres the numpty jacked the car up on the floorpan instead of the subframe and he wondered why i was anoyned at him :evil:

so i now get my mate to change my tyres for me and it only costs me a beer or two :D