PDA

View Full Version : run flats etc

redpoint rallying
17th September 2004, 05:40 AM
Well Ive been toying with the idea of doing away with the runflats on the 'S' and was handed the opportunity last night driving home from work at night. I hit something in the road, hard........very hard....expensive sounding hard.

Anyway, when I stopped, expecting at least a flat tyre I couldnt see what had been lying in the road. It must have been bounced into a field. Anyway, I digress....

The low pressure indicator didnt come on so I drove home.

In the morning the suspected flat tyre had materialised so I had my first go of running on a run flat and can report, you can, with no problems.

At the tyre dealer I found that I had a very buckled inner rim on the front o/s alloy and it is now to be binned. Luckily I have spares from the rallycar so that saved some expense.

The biggest laugh (if there was one to be had) Is the price of runflat tyres, which I'm sure many of you will know about. So I finally got my opportunity not to buy them!

I now have BMW's bottle of 'ACME Puncture Goo' and their wee compressor and I'm now running much more sensibly priced 'non' run flat tyres.

The best bit so far is the difference in performance. Those runflats are just SO HEAVY!!! Stuff yer run flats.......

So there you go, just my experience so far. The pick up without the run flats is noticable. Unless I have a bad experience with my bottle of 'Goo' and compressor, I dont think I will bother with them again.

Cheers!
:)

Edit: moved to correct forum

3GGG
17th September 2004, 05:55 AM
Gonna try that tyresafe stuff in the tyres? - There is another thread on NMS about this - What make/size tyres did you get?

Starky
19th September 2004, 01:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by redpoint rallying

Well Ive been toying with the idea of doing away with the runflats on the 'S' and was handed the opportunity last night driving home from work at night. I hit something in the road, hard........very hard....expensive sounding hard.

Anyway, when I stopped, expecting at least a flat tyre I couldnt see what had been lying in the road. It must have been bounced into a field. Anyway, I digress....

The low pressure indicator didnt come on so I drove home.

In the morning the suspected flat tyre had materialised so I had my first go of running on a run flat and can report, you can, with no problems.

At the tyre dealer I found that I had a very buckled inner rim on the front o/s alloy and it is now to be binned. Luckily I have spares from the rallycar so that saved some expense.

The biggest laugh (if there was one to be had) Is the price of runflat tyres, which I'm sure many of you will know about. So I finally got my opportunity not to buy them!

I now have BMW's bottle of 'ACME Puncture Goo' and their wee compressor and I'm now running much more sensibly priced 'non' run flat tyres.

The best bit so far is the difference in performance. Those runflats are just SO HEAVY!!! Stuff yer run flats.......

So there you go, just my experience so far. The pick up without the run flats is noticable. Unless I have a bad experience with my bottle of 'Goo' and compressor, I dont think I will bother with them again.

Cheers!
:)

Edit: moved to correct forum

RR, I know someone selling a set of alloys + runflats very cheaply :p, minted as well BS :p:p:D

mgemie
19th September 2004, 10:52 AM
When i went to buy my R90s from my local BMW/MINI dealer they wouldn't sell them with non-runflat tyres:evil: but i think that when i eventually need to replace the tyres i'll find somewhere that'll sell me 'normal' rubber!!

lightbody
19th September 2004, 07:15 PM
From the sounds of your story though, your runflats might have made a serious incident far less serious... a normal tyre would have had an immediate blow out or something...

My previous car suffered a blow out at speed on the motorway and it was terrifying - I am very glad to be on run flats - despite the expense and poor ride.

redpoint rallying
20th September 2004, 07:19 AM
Hi Lightbody - possibly so, we'll never know of course. Its one for each individual and its just my experience. I'm happy that I can reconcile that the odds of something similar being a 'regular' occurence are low, versus the better performance from the car on the non runflats. I did however do an experiment to see if a non runflat would run on the damaged rim. I did about 50 miles to see if it would stay inflated, which it did. Its the sort of thing that can happen to any car with a whole variety of consequences so like I say, its up to each individual if they stick with the runflats or not. The first time I get a puncture in the driving snow/rain/hail at night when I'm late for something, may however change my mind back to runflats if that bottle of 'goo' or the wee compressor let me down!

ELFMAN
20th September 2004, 07:36 AM
I started a thread about the "Run-Flats Vs Non-RF's" a while ago, now lost in the mists of time.

I'm getting a set of 16" Minilites (old traditionalist!) at the end of the month, and after loads of thought, I reckon I'm going to stick with the Run-Flats. 16's aren't as bad as the 17's for the usual Run-Flat drawbacks, and the thought of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere at midnight with a U/S tyre doesn't appeal. Don't really trust tyre goop, especially if you've got a ripped sidewall.

Alternative is to stick a spare wheel/tyre in the boot, but obviously this knackers up the already rubbish storage space - it'd also have to be tethered as you wouldn't want 3 tons of Run-Flat wheel & tyre combo whacking you on the napper in the event of a crash..... I suppose that's what we get for having the FAB 'Z-Axle' type set-up - nae room - but then again, a MINI on 16" Runflats will still out-handle most things, and the ride would be better if our roads in Central Scotland weren't so crappy.

3GGG
20th September 2004, 10:32 PM

Hi Lightbody - possibly so, we'll never know of course. Its one for each individual and its just my experience. I'm happy that I can reconcile that the odds of something similar being a 'regular' occurence are low, versus the better performance from the car on the non runflats. I did however do an experiment to see if a non runflat would run on the damaged rim. I did about 50 miles to see if it would stay inflated, which it did. Its the sort of thing that can happen to any car with a whole variety of consequences so like I say, its up to each individual if they stick with the runflats or not. The first time I get a puncture in the driving snow/rain/hail at night when I'm late for something, may however change my mind back to runflats if that bottle of 'goo' or the wee compressor let me down!

RR - Have you considered the preventative TyreSafe injected stuff? - You don't get a puncture with it inside the tyre allegedly. Its about £20 for 4 tyres.

X30YES
20th September 2004, 11:45 PM
What about the space saver wheel as a stand by (for everyday driving and runs ).. does it come in 17'' would it fit in the boot or am I talking P%^$

redpoint rallying
21st September 2004, 02:23 AM
3GGG - can you tell me more about the stuff you have mentioned?

Ta!

X30YES
21st September 2004, 04:08 AM

Ta!

http://www.kcall.free-online.co.uk/ or search google Tyre sealant,
more info here
http://www.carkeys.co.uk/feedback/3264.asp

The Dogfather
21st September 2004, 04:59 AM
But if you have breakdown cover and you can't repair your tyre they'll come out and fix it or at keast get you home.

3GGG
21st September 2004, 05:34 AM

Ta!

Wul has it in his tyres - you might want to ask him about it - here is what he wrote in a previous thread.

quote:As for puncture goo - I can highly recommend all of you with or without run-flats to go and get tyresafe put in the tyres £19.99 for all 4 wheels and can plog a puncture up to 6mm! It takes a few days to coat the tyre inside properly and loses the slight judder when pulling away - but after then you'll never know it was there - had it in both my MINI's with no quibbles and i believe mr bonnie scotland had it in his MINI too!

Seafield Coachworks in Edinburgh do it http://www.seafieldcoachworks.co.uk/ 0131 554 2583

Hope that helps :approve:

MartinSullivan
22nd September 2004, 08:20 PM
Redpoint

AOS Supplies Ltd, Units 9 & 10 Badentoy Place Portlethen (01224 784048) are authorised installers of ultraseal - which seems to be similar to the tyresafe stuff

Check it out here

www.ultraseal.biz

Eggy7496
22nd September 2004, 09:59 PM
does the run flats weigh a lot heavier than non run flats?

MartinSullivan
22nd September 2004, 10:04 PM
yeah a lot heavier eggy

Eggy7496
22nd September 2004, 10:14 PM
didnt realise that, how much quicker 0-60? about 0.5sec roughly? if so then thats heaps!

redpoint rallying
23rd September 2004, 06:52 AM
Eggy,
I'm amazed at the extra performance of the 'S' without the heavier runflats. I would not have believed just how big the difference is had I not changed to 'normal' tyres....it really is, well, amazing!

Cheers!

redpoint rallying
23rd September 2004, 06:58 AM
Eggy,
Not sure on the 0-60.Cant be bothered timing it! I'm too busy enjoying the transformation and the daft grin on me face! Honestly I'm laughing out loud in the car (go on, admit it, you all do it too!)
Where the difference is on the 'S' is that it feels much more 'torquier'. There is just so much more pull in 2nd and in particular 4th and 5th. There is just less weight for the engine to have turn. Its like the car has been fitted with a lightened flywheel, it 'spins up' much more quickly and freely.....magic.

Cheers!

Wul
23rd September 2004, 05:35 PM
Hey guys - just go round to reading this thread! Tyresafe is good stuff IMHO - When i come to tyre change time - i'm gonna ditch the run-flats and get some good rubber and put tyresafe in them. First used it when i had a slow on my coop - no-one would repair it at that time (now found kwik-fit mobile will!) so got tyresafe put in - wen't from filling the tyre every morning with air to never having to do it again for over a year! despite checking the pressure every couple of months. Even with a nail in the tyre it will seal around it and as the tyre wears the nail will too, and should the nail work loose the stuff can plug a 6mm hole and lasts for 10,000 miles or so. It has been developed from bike and tractor use to suit the high speed of car tyres and i've had no problems with it.

Eggy7496
23rd September 2004, 06:51 PM
Wul what exactly is tyresafe? never heard of that

Eggy7496
23rd September 2004, 06:52 PM
im thinkin of ditchin the run flats too now!! its sounding that the cooper is much faster then! it wont do anything in terms of insurance would it? i mean supposedly if yer pressures are not right then ur not insured - what the heck??

MartinSullivan
23rd September 2004, 07:06 PM
Eggy7496

The pressure monitoring system etc will still keep working - it works on the rolling radius of the tyre. You will just need to make "alternative" arrangements for your punctures - compressor and tyre weld, spare wheel on the back seat, or the tyre safe stuff permanently installed in your tyres.

Eggy7496
23rd September 2004, 07:14 PM
after reading Wul's post about the tyre safe i'm happy enough with that, but what is it? how much does it cost? anyone know? cheers

MartinSullivan
23rd September 2004, 07:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Redpoint

AOS Supplies Ltd, Units 9 & 10 Badentoy Place Portlethen (01224 784048) are authorised installers of ultraseal - which seems to be similar to the tyresafe stuff

Check it out here

www.ultraseal.biz

Eggy check back in the thread a bit you will find some info - such as the above. Its usually less than 30 quid for all 4 tyres. I will be getting it installed in mine once my new wheels arrive :D

Eggy7496
23rd September 2004, 07:28 PM
it wont weigh the car as much as the run flats though? sorry guys my knowledge here is bad

MartinSullivan
23rd September 2004, 07:38 PM
Nope, definitely not - the runflats weigh a ton.

New wheels should be here in a few more weeks - once I have had the ultraseal installed I will post another review

Eggy7496
23rd September 2004, 07:44 PM
ur gettin the x4 ones arent u? they guy at turriff tyres can get them for £7?? i cant remember the last 2 figures. good price though!

MartinSullivan
23rd September 2004, 07:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Eggy7496

ur gettin the x4 ones arent u? they guy at turriff tyres can get them for £7?? i cant remember the last 2 figures. good price though!

He cant get the Dare X4 18's in a Mini fitment unless he has bought them from the same group buy as me - they dont exist, only 4 sets were made by Dare previously for West Tuning's Demo Car. Mine are costing £6?? something with Toyo Rubber - which is a VERY good price!!!! :D

Eggy7496
23rd September 2004, 08:39 PM
ok u win sully, but he did tell me he could get them but it would about 2 months, that was a month ago and he mentioned something about a special order.:D:D