PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Neil - TXJ
20th August 2015, 08:29 PM
Hi

A non mini question if anybody can help.

As anybody any experience of insuring a car for someone on a provisional licence and then newly qualified?

We are getting another car (not a mini!) that will be used for my son to learn in and then use once passed but will also be used by me and the wife.

Anybody got a recommendation for the best way to insure the car?

Not sure if I should look for a multi-car policy or best just to insure on its own.

I will check comparison sights but wondered if anybody has any advice.

Cheers

stoney
20th August 2015, 09:03 PM
Could always try are sponsors they are brokers and can often help with 2nd cars young drives ect

I would recommend using you of your wife as the main driver and your son as a named driver till he passes then look in to geting him his own once passed he will struggle to get insurance for under 1k with out having a black box installed

Hope this is of some help

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gez
20th August 2015, 11:31 PM
When I was learning to drive about 4 years ago I got insurance for a month at a time. I think it cost around 100 quid and was great.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

CiderFex
21st August 2015, 06:31 AM
I'd go with what Rob has said but if I remember correctly it won't count towards your Sons no claims.
My Mam was the second driver on mi Dads policy but when he died she had to start from scratch on her no claims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MINI William
21st August 2015, 08:44 AM
Neil I would give our 2 insurance sponsors a shout and take it from there.

ianking
21st August 2015, 01:09 PM
Direct line are good for this.
They will allow your son to amass his own NCD on the policy as a named driver. That way when he goes on his own his insurance will be a better price.

My brother has recently done this with Direct Line and was very pleasantly surprised at the price.

jimb
21st August 2015, 08:04 PM
As per Stoney' suggestion. My wife insured the car with me and my daughter named drivers, updated when
she past her test. Insurance then increased by £800.

Neil - TXJ
22nd August 2015, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys will give sponsors a call and Direct Line also looks as an option as they do a Named Driver Discount but can only be used with them.

Other thing I discovered today is that you can only use your No Claims Discount on one car, that doesn't feel right but appears to be the case.

stoney
23rd August 2015, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys will give sponsors a call and Direct Line also looks as an option as they do a Named Driver Discount but can only be used with them.

Other thing I discovered today is that you can only use your No Claims Discount on one car, that doesn't feel right but appears to be the case.

Yes but if you tell them that you have x amount on another policy then they should give you sum I was given 5 years on the mini when I got it as had 8+ on my other car as long as you use the same insurance company

EcosseGP
24th August 2015, 06:10 PM
Neil they've always done that and I run two policies separately for that reason. It's unusual for them to offer you any discount on a second policy even if you're with the same company but Rob clearly has managed it ... sometimes pays to ask your existing company if they'll give you a discount :)

Neil - TXJ
24th August 2015, 07:35 PM
Neil they've always done that and I run two policies separately for that reason. It's unusual for them to offer you any discount on a second policy even if you're with the same company but Rob clearly has managed it ... sometimes pays to ask your existing company if they'll give you a discount :)

Thanks. Currently looking like will be going with Direct Line - they will give me various discounts as a named driver on the wife's policy with them and have house and pet insurance with them as well. Best part of deal is that when Jamie moves from a provisional to a full licence premium stays the same. Checked this with them and got it in writing as everywhere else premium at least doubles when he passes.

Think having a group 3 car helps with the added bonus of no road tax! Might have to push it up hills though!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
24th August 2015, 08:47 PM
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. We have a number of scheme for provisional or newly qualified licence holders. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Neil - TXJ
24th August 2015, 09:28 PM
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. We have a number of scheme for provisional or newly qualified licence holders. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi Dan, will try and call tomorrow - what number should I call on. Easier for me to call you guys

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
25th August 2015, 10:57 AM
Hi Dan, will try and call tomorrow - what number should I call on. Easier for me to call you guys

Hi,

0800 089 0035 is our dedicated club line.

Kind regards,
Dan.