PDA

View Full Version : Mods for GP2

GP_Den
1st July 2015, 03:45 PM
Hello. New owner of a GP2 and I'm looking into a few mods. Wanting to have a wee bit more noise so was thinking a new air intake might do the trick for starters. :cool: Ive searched through previous posts on here and there seems to be a few folk running with the Alta intake. Ive had a look online and the only ones i can find are for a Cooper S R56 turbo? Now this might seem like a stupid question but is that the same engine and would it work on my GP2? Also does anyone recommend any particular sites to buy stuff from?

Cheers

Den

MINI William
1st July 2015, 04:19 PM
The Alta will fit the GP, we have them fitted to both our GPs. Not the same engine but for the purpouse of the intake its the same. The best place to get would be Lohen

GP_Den
1st July 2015, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. Have you noticed any difference with them fitted? Looking at a few other bits and it says for N14 or N18. Which one is the GP2? There doesn't seem to be any drop down options for it on any of the sites I've looked at.

Gismo
1st July 2015, 05:31 PM
You're most likely to have the N18 engine as that came out in late 2012, but, do more research :thumbs up:

If you go the Alta route, check the jubilee clips fit over the relevant boot, i can't remember which one, but, the package comes with one of those clips that is right on the limit of the clip.
They may have changed the clip, but check anyway, saves hassle during the install process

Great increase in noise is the best benefit, but, your bum speedo may notice more BHP :lol:

GP_Den
1st July 2015, 05:56 PM
You're most likely to have the N18 engine as that came out in late 2012, but, do more research :thumbs up:

If you go the Alta route, check the jubilee clips fit over the relevant boot, i can't remember which one, but, the package comes with one of those clips that is right on the limit of the clip.
They may have changed the clip, but check anyway, saves hassle during the install process

Great increase in noise is the best benefit, but, your bum speedo may notice more BHP :lol:

Haha :thumbs up: cheers mate. Ill have a look.

MINI William
1st July 2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. Have you noticed any difference with them fitted? Looking at a few other bits and it says for N14 or N18. Which one is the GP2? There doesn't seem to be any drop down options for it on any of the sites I've looked at.

GP is N18. No difference in performance but it does sound good

GP_Den
2nd July 2015, 08:34 AM
:thumbs up: Thanks for clarifying the engine William, don't want to buy any of the wrong kit. Alta sounds good then. Also saw a cool looking AEM kit with an air feed from the bonnet scoop. Looked quite smart but not sure how it will sound, bit more pricey too.

Is there something that can get done to the exhaust? I know with my M3 i had the perforated pipe in the back box replaced for a solid one and the noise difference was immense. Really released the sound of the V8. Is there something similar you can do?

Apologies if these questions have been asked a hundred times before but i cant find much online about it.

Gismo
2nd July 2015, 10:57 AM
Is there something that can get done to the exhaust? I know with my M3 i had the perforated pipe in the back box replaced for a solid one and the noise difference was immense. Really released the sound of the V8. Is there something similar you can do? There are several companies, Play Mini probably being the best, but, there is a company called stainless creations (or similar) that offer a custom option and can be tailored to your individual noise level or threshold :lol:

MINI William
2nd July 2015, 11:08 AM
Can can go for a new exhaust if you wish. PlayMINI dont do anything for the R56. You can change the downpipe for a Decat or Sports Cat but this will bring on the CEL light

Gismo
2nd July 2015, 12:33 PM
PlayMINI dont do anything for the R56Doh, i meant Miltek :thumbs up:

MINI William
2nd July 2015, 02:58 PM
You could go for the AEM but you will loose your GP strutbrace

Eddie_JCW
2nd July 2015, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't recommend the AEM on the N18 but I might have just got a bad one I had that before getting the Alta and regret not just going straight for the Alta. The AEM is a great idea but it doesn't sound half as nice as the Alta ;)

Eddie_JCW
2nd July 2015, 03:04 PM
The N14 AEM kit just seems better put together compared to the more expensive N18 kit.

Eddie_JCW
2nd July 2015, 03:14 PM
+1 for decat if you have a "friendly" MOT examiner :p it makes my JCW sound amazing! One of the best sounding inline 4 engines in my opinion :)

GP_Den
2nd July 2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. :thumbs up: Ill definitely look for a friendly MOT examiner as i like the idea of a decat. :D

stoney
2nd July 2015, 07:46 PM
The de cat defo sounds good on the hatch you get some real nice pops and bangs from it [emoji41]

Ianstwt_r59
4th July 2015, 10:17 AM
Yeah just watch you don't raz it through towns. Nice wee asbo

GP_Den
9th July 2015, 05:31 PM
Just fitted the Alta intake today. Loving the sound. noticed more burbling and popping from the exhaust too :cool: