PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone live in DUMBARTON???

gillianmcd
29th May 2015, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone! Not been on here for AAAAGES!! But I know you are all lovely people who will be able to help me out!

My other half and I are looking at buying a house in Dumbarton but don't know much about the area.... What are the schools like? (don't have kids yet but we will do eventually!)

Is it generally a nice place to live? The house we're looking at is on the Helensburgh side of the town!

Any info will be gratefully received!! Thanks folks!!!

PS still got my 61 Cooper S and loving it! XXXXX

Crombers
29th May 2015, 03:25 PM
Yup I used to live there 1999 to 2008 and worked at the Ballantines Whisky plant from 1991 to 2006. The Helensburgh side is the West Dumbarton area (are you looking at Lennox Gardens per chance?)

I rented a flat on Glasgow Rd near Dumbarton East Station up till 2000 then bought a new build on the east side of the town. Laterly I moved to a property near Dumbarton Central Station, just on the outskirts of the town centre.

As for schooling you have various primary schools (my best mates wife is a teacher in one of them) & your main secondary schools are Dumbarton Academy & St Patricks High, both of which have a good name (& two successful Amateur Football teams, well it is my sport & funnily enough I'm going to watch 'The Accies' play in the final of the Challenge Cup at Broadwood Stadium this evening).

I still pop over from time to time and enjoyed the majority of my time there. You are 10 minutes from Loch Lomond & some of the finest scenery Scotland has to offer. Other areas to consider would be Cardross, Helensburgh or Balloch all of which have rail links to Glasgow.

Any other questions PM me & I'll give you more pointers on the good & the bad :thumbs up: