PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

Jamie1875
21st May 2015, 09:42 PM
Evening folks,
Quick question
Lowering springs or coilovers? And what makes?
Thanks

john
21st May 2015, 11:00 PM
What are you after? Lowering springs have only one setting and are not expensive, coilovers are adjustable but can be costly, is it a road car! Or will you have it on track?

Jamie1875
22nd May 2015, 12:47 AM
It's for a road car

Blueboy
22nd May 2015, 03:28 AM
Im going to be fitting either Gaz, KW or ST coilovers to mine, when I find a cheapish S

Gismo
22nd May 2015, 01:49 PM
I wasted money on lowering springs, significantly altered the handling for the worse, ended up with coilovers, not the best, but, improved the handling again, so, coilovers gets my vote.

john
22nd May 2015, 03:09 PM
I think they are pretty good as standard

MINI William
22nd May 2015, 03:43 PM
Really depends on what you are looking for Jamie. If its just lows your looking for then go springs but if its the adjustability that your wanting then you need coilivers. We have BCs on the van and they are very noisy

Gez
22nd May 2015, 04:37 PM
I had a similar experience to Gismo. Coilovers are thr answer and they also seem to maintain some value if you want to sell them :)

stoney
22nd May 2015, 08:23 PM
I liked my coilovers but would look at spending a bit more for better sets after going down the budget route they where good but as William said the BC's can be noisy but I did not find it to bad in the clubman

EcosseGP
23rd May 2015, 12:21 AM
I've got 30mm lowering springs on the S and I've not had any hassle with them at all. The car sits well and handles as it should. I didn't get any banging or knocking and it sits at just about the right ride height ... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrMischief
23rd May 2015, 07:47 AM
It depends on so much, as has already been said, how you use the car (track or road), your budget, your aim (purely cosmetic or functional reasons)...

I've got a set of BC coilovers on my track car (GTiR) & they're great for adjustability but even on the softest damper setting they're very firm for road use but I'm surprised to hear the Mini BC's are noisy?? I had a set of Leda coilovers developed for my MR2 Roadster (a few :rolleyes:) years ago as there were none available at the time, it proved expensive but worthwhile, it was my daily driver but I used it on track too.

Lowering springs are a good option if you just want a mild lowered look but maintaining similar to factory handling characteristics on a budget.
You could always approach different spring manufacturers if you want a firmer spring rate than what they offer to the public.

If you're intending on going on track, have you uprated all rubber bushes? No point spending thousands on coilovers & having elastic bands holding it all together :hand:

Also, you should look at strut braces, additional body braces and/or rollcages & seam welding if you want to really stiffen the shell. :thumbs up:

For me, I'd choose coilovers, simply for the adjustability. It'll allow you to set up the suspension to the "nth" degree, have it corner-weighted & improve the handling. If the spring rates are too firm for you, they can always be changed.

Eddie
23rd May 2015, 09:13 PM
I've got 30mm lowering springs on the S and I've not had any hassle with them at all. The car sits well and handles as it should. I didn't get any banging or knocking and it sits at just about the right ride height ... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk