PDA

View Full Version : Staying with MINI

CraigR53
15th April 2015, 06:35 PM
So I think I want to stick with mini and probably an oppertunity for myself to upgrade my car ever so slighty, unfortunately Im still one of those poor students that has expensive taste :hand:

I loved my R56 S to bits, had many plans but I never had the chance over the winter and now she is unfortunately probably for sale in bits on Facebook somewhere. I'd love to jump to an R56 JCW but probably unrealistic at this stage, however scrolling through Autotrader over the past month by the looks your can pick up a low mileage R53 JCW for a good price.

Suppose my questions of, jumping ship to an R53? What do you guys think, only ever driven one round a car park so not a realistic feel for the car and I'm assuming there will be more than a few on here that have had a go in both.

What are the problems surrounding the r53? Things to look outfor in my search.

My other problem is im not sure if I trust myself to buy from a private seller, I'm no mechanic, as much as i like to think I am :hand: and I doubt there will be many in garages these days. So anyone know of a quality mini for sale also?

MINI William
15th April 2015, 06:39 PM
Pleased to hear that your staying with MINI Craig. There is an R53 JCW up for sale under MINIs for sale on the site. I've never had a R53 so can't comment on them

badwolf340
16th April 2015, 11:04 AM
Would be good for Rob,Craig and Davy and Pete and others to comment on R53's

CiderFex
16th April 2015, 11:41 AM
I'm not really in a very knowledgable position to be honest as GP1499 is my first and only MINI, but I can say that I love it to bits.

...enjoy the journey.

Craig
16th April 2015, 12:21 PM
Craig, if your ever up Stirling way I can give you a run in my S. I've had R56 and R53 and without going into a long winded story I'll always choose R53.

Things to look out for ...

Chain rattle - tensioner is normally the issue, IMO get it fixed ASAP.

Power steering pumps failing - not that bad in the facelift models but still look out for it.. The reservoirs do weep tho so don't worry about a bit of fluid.

Just usual wear and tear things... Bushes, exhausts, clutches, brakes etc which there are hundreds of options to replace etc...

Hope that helps - bring on the whine !!!!! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney
17th April 2015, 07:00 AM
R53 well I loved mine they are food cars just depends on what your looking for and how much you want to spend !!
One other thing to look out for os the water bottle splitting this is a common fault as well

jdl_1967
17th April 2015, 07:23 AM
They're fantastic cars, my wife has a Coupe and i much prefer my R53, sadly she doesn't agree with my love and opinion.

Faults that I'm aware of;

Low speed fan resistor can fail and cause overheating
Heat exchanger / oil cooler can fail internally causing what appears like head gasket failure
Expansion bottle can spilt at seem.
Heads have been known to crack.
Serpentine belt tensioner damper can fail causing belt to come off and damage pulleys.
Return valve in oil filter housing can get damaged during filter change and give low oil pressure warning.
Oil leaks from just about anywhere, both crank seals, valve cover, oil cooler etc.
Power steering pump and power steering pump fan.
Thermostat housing can leak coolant.

Every car has its weak points, but the R53's engine and gearbox are generally very reliable.

They are amazing cars and you wont be disappointed.

Coop1
18th April 2015, 08:03 PM
Good to hear Craig. More sensible/fun than an S2000! You dont fancy sticking with R56 MCS? Maybe add some choice bits to over time? I had almost as much fun in S for 18 mths I had it before getting current JCW. Never driven R53. Guessing supercharger feels good bit different to turbo.

EcosseGP
18th April 2015, 09:37 PM
I love the R53 and you can never get too much whine ... Johns got his R53 JCW up for sale maybe give him a shout. It's had a load of work done to it and a wee change of the alloy wheels and you'll be sorted. Never really had any issues with the R53s but there again I do seem to change bits for the hell of it ... :):)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CraigR53
18th April 2015, 11:02 PM
It was a toss up between the 53 and 56 when I was first looking at buying a MINI last year, couldn't turn down the 56 at the price I got her for!
I gotta admit, the whine is a good reason to switch!, little bit of change is always good too. Looking for probably an face-lift 06/56 plate I think. I think finding one I love being a bit of a problem! as I said not sure if I trust myself to buy privately! We'll see Im not finished with the mini fun yet!

illegalhunter
21st April 2015, 09:07 PM
Road tax is huge

Chrisj
22nd April 2015, 11:43 AM
Got one up for sale at the moment... Not a jcw but has the aero kit and been tuned so equivalent power..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk