PDA

View Full Version : R50 rear brake caliper question.

Big Gordy
7th April 2015, 02:00 PM
Mutleys due its MOT next month and whist checking him over I find yet again that the offside rear caliper is sticking. This will be the 4th offside rear caliper I've had to fit and he's only done 30000.... :ragin:
So my question is.......has anyone else had this issue..:confused:
Its now getting beyond a joke that a car with so little mileage is now on its fourth caliper :frown: Or is the low mileage part of the problem :confused:

Craig
7th April 2015, 02:51 PM
I don't think the low mileage will help Gordy, but advice I was always given for low mileage cars was to alternate the hand brake on-off each time you used it so the piston isn't sitting in the same place all the time and touch wood I've had no issues with rear calipers thus far :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crombers
7th April 2015, 05:10 PM
No issues here either. 73K on the R50 & don't think I've replaced a caliper yet.

EcosseGP
7th April 2015, 06:45 PM
Think it must just be luck I changed a rear and a front one on my R53 just before selling it because they were sticking. Car only had 50k on the clock but just put it down to age ... never really had issues once I've changed stuff. Are you putting OEM stuff on it ?

john
7th April 2015, 08:42 PM
I'm pretty sure I have a new one in my garage ( much cheapness)

EcosseGP
7th April 2015, 08:49 PM
If the calliper hasn't been on two years and if it's an original part it's still under guarantee ...

Big Gordy
8th April 2015, 08:39 PM
If the caliper hasn't been on two years and if it's an original part it's still under guarantee ...

last one was changed 4 years ago unfortunately :frown:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure I have a new one in my garage ( much cheapness)

Thanks for the offer John but I've already sourced a replacement :thumbs up: (Probably cost a fortune to post :hand:)

Ohhh and like some others on here I've gone down the mtec disc/mintex pad route as well :smilewinkgrin: