PDA

View Full Version : Calling all dog owners; transporting canine friends in a Mini...

tangledfeet
24th March 2015, 10:23 PM
We're getting a puppy in several weeks... never had a dog before so I'm quite excited. Mrs Tangledfeet works from home so I'm obviously concerned that she'll 'imprint' herself on him - so he and I will need lots of time together just so he appreciates who's Daddy; trips to the pub, trips to the beach, trips to the park, trips to the cinema, theatre, butchers...

He's a whippet so at the smaller end of the dog spectrum but I'd like to know that he'll be safe and constrained - and also that the interior of my F56 Cooper will be safe too.

How do you transport your canine friends in you Mini? I'm thinking that rear seats folded and a small cage (I could easily make a wooden platform to level the rear area) might be the way to go.

Thanks!

Oh - and...

stoney
24th March 2015, 10:49 PM
Loverly dog
I have a big dog faith (Briard ) I just let her in the back seats as she us to big for the boot and that's in my clubman as long as you keep on top if the cleaning it's fine [emoji106][emoji106]

You do get harnesses and seat belt buckles that attach

stoney
24th March 2015, 10:54 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seat-Belt-restraint-harness-Black/dp/9822489242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427234049&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+harness+seat+belt

Crombers
25th March 2015, 05:51 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seat-Belt-restraint-harness-Black/dp/9822489242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427234049&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+harness+seat+belt

That's what I use for Alfie, our 5 year old Westie in the back (covered) seat of the Fiesta.

gauldrymini
25th March 2015, 11:45 AM
...nice wee hound :thumbs up:

we use "dog hammocks" in our cars but both cars have rear doors for access, a waterproof rear seat cover and seat belt harness is a good shout, however my mum has a 12 yr old lab who still gets in and out of the boot of her KIA Picanto...

badwolf340
25th March 2015, 08:13 PM
You can get small travel cages ,and in the case of a whippet may last a little longer.We used a Cage when Blue was a puppy but no need to use one now as he is fairly large (GSD) and quite happy in any of the MINI's ,you will get into a routine that suits you :thumbs up:

tangledfeet
26th March 2015, 09:42 PM
Thanks all!

Hadn't heard of hammocks before now but they do seem quite practical as I guess you can just lift the whole caboodle (incl. dog) if they're mucky?

Must get round to doing some research on wee crates for the car... this is a whole world of pet hardware for me!