PDA

View Full Version : Static Shock From My Mini

Cybermenace
22nd March 2015, 10:23 AM
Hi folks,
I have no idea what's happened but I am now getting static electric shock from my 58 plate R56,

It's driving me insane and seems to be every time I get out the car now I get a shock!!

It's quite nippy also and cracks when I get it.

Any mods or ideas on how to stop this as I am scared my little girl gets a shock.

Thanks
Billy

jdl_1967
22nd March 2015, 11:19 AM
Have you got new shoes recently? Or changed the mats?

It could be the two materials (shoes soles / carpets) are producing a positive charge in you when you're in the car and you are discharging that (earthing) when you get out.

I used to get it in one of my cars when I wore a particular pair of trainers.

To avoid it, grab hold of a metal part of the door as you get out and you will earth without it arcing and causing you the shock. Or close the door by pushing the glass and don't touch any metal whatsoever.

digi
22nd March 2015, 04:10 PM
back in the 80s the trend was to fit an earth stap on the car to stop this happening but the above do the same job and are cheaper and not a chavy looking lol

badwolf340
22nd March 2015, 04:14 PM
Weird but most likely down to what you are wearing and as said grab hold of a metal part of the door to earth yourself ,but rather annoying all the same

EcosseGP
22nd March 2015, 11:37 PM
Usually a jacket or shoes cam cause this .. Mind what you're wearing when you get the shock and try changing the following day and see if it illuminates you getting "shocked" :)

gauldrymini
23rd March 2015, 11:15 AM
...most probably your shoes, my trainers do this :explode:

CraigR53
23rd March 2015, 03:43 PM
Be careful it doesn't happen when your at the petrol station! Have we all seen that video on youtube?

Kristeen
23rd March 2015, 09:46 PM
I get it when I wear my uggs. It's horrible lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk