PDA

View Full Version : boot hard to shut

ScottyC
12th September 2004, 09:13 AM
does anyone else find that they really have to slam their boot shut so it closes properly? everytime i shut mine i have to check its sitting flush with the rest of the bodywork otherwise i'm not sure its shut right. is this common or is mine just not right? i know its heavy but it seems a bit ridiculous.

sleepyrascal
12th September 2004, 10:46 AM
eh, i find that even the slightest protruding object can shift the boot lid from flush to slightly squint. Otherwise, mine is fine!

Gismo
12th September 2004, 05:17 PM
With the hatch open, look outside of the seal, approx in line with the rear light cluster, there are 2 rubbers stops, one either side ;) turn each one clockwise one turn and try and shut the hatch.
If this cures your problem adjust in or out as required until satisfied, but, be prepared for a rattle :evil: if this occurs then apply some electricians tape to the "D" hook of the catch
Let us know how you get on :)

smiler
12th September 2004, 06:17 PM
How old is your car? I took my 53 plate MC to the garage this week as the boot lid was rattling. It turned out that they replaced the boot lid latch, as the old one was faulty, now I find that it takes 2 goes to close it properly, not sure which was worse!! The rattle or having to get back out the car to close it again!!

lightbody
12th September 2004, 08:09 PM
Mine (51 plate) has always done this. WHen I shut it, i see if there's any movement - if i can pull the handle a bit and it moves, then i open it and slam it harder. This has been a pain ever since the car was brand new. Especially when my friends shut it and i have to yell at them to slam it harder.

Wul
14th September 2004, 05:27 PM
There's another problem with your friends shutting the boot - they put their hands on the edge of the boot lid to shut it - if your boot is dirty this then causes loads of scratches on the paintwork!! :eek:

On newer models they've also added two little rubber bumpers on the rear bumper section where it is secured next to the seals and light clusters. They look like the blobs you screw to the floor to stop doors from hitting things!

Big Col
14th September 2004, 06:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

There's another problem with your friends shutting the boot - they put their hands on the edge of the boot lid to shut it - if your boot is dirty this then causes loads of scratches on the paintwork!! :eek:

coughgetoveritalreadycough ;)

Wul
14th September 2004, 09:11 PM
coughneedtogetalifecoughorsomemoremeguiarscoughcou gh :D

ScottyC
19th September 2004, 06:26 AM
cheers guys. i forgot i even posted this and obviously hadn't checked for replies! Its a 53 plate (oct), i've had it since new and thought that it was close better in time but after more than enough trips to asda and back it aint getting any better. Its due a service quite soon so if i don't have any luck i'll get them to have a look at john clarks. I closed a mates boot last week and he screamed at me for nearly bouncing his car down the street.

ScottyC
24th September 2004, 03:22 AM
had a play around with the knobs (ooh er!):I. Not sure if its done the trick or not. i already came close to getting sectioned by a couple of passers by (i'm sure it only takes 3 people) as they watched me constantly open and shut the boot lid like a fascinated kid. no rattle though so i'll just have to see if its any easier to shut over the next couple of weeks. first service due very soon so if i'm not happy i'll get them to look at it along with the squeeks in my dash.