PDA

View Full Version : Pads and Discs - Again

jdl_1967
21st March 2015, 09:44 AM
I'm looking for pads and discs for my R53.

Having bought cheap discs before that have warped within a few months, I've decided to buy something decent.

I've found front and rear Brembo sets on eBay for about £150, I'm guessing not performance orientated, but at least decent quality.

I haven't checked OEM prices yet, but imagine they'd be more, but would provide excellent quality.

I'm not a track frequenter, it's just a road car, so Any thoughts or other recommendation / considerations greatly appreciated.

Craig
21st March 2015, 10:15 AM
I've got the MTEC discs (grooved and vented) front and back with Mintex pads and HEL lines and they are superb and also great value :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig
21st March 2015, 10:16 AM
You can have a shot in it john if you want to test them ... ;)

jdl_1967
21st March 2015, 10:38 AM
Cheers Craig, I may want more bits once I've been in your car with all your toys ;-)

EcosseGP
21st March 2015, 11:10 AM
Like Craig says John MTEC discs seem to be highly recommended and they're coated too so you don't get the rusty edges ... Certainly work well on the big fellas car.

CiderFex
21st March 2015, 01:04 PM
I've had the M-Tec drilled and grooved for nearly three year and I personally love them.
If you order them you'll need to add the coating as an option.
I went for the Black Edition and the coating is still going strong after 15K miles.

...enjoy the journey.

CiderFex
21st March 2015, 01:07 PM
There's 10% off at the mo.

http://www.mtecbrakes.com

...enjoy the journey.

jdl_1967
21st March 2015, 03:47 PM
Magic thanks, what's the difference between dimples and fully drilled?

Craig
21st March 2015, 05:00 PM
Nae idea john... Lol. Make sure your order is right as when I ordered mine, I added the black coating to my cart and without me noticing, it removed this part so when they arrived they didn't have the coating and my hubs are rusting (as expected)...

stoney
21st March 2015, 05:23 PM
The dimple will fill up with brake dust quicker and need cleaning out more often than the holes but won't where your pads out as quickly [emoji106]

jdl_1967
21st March 2015, 05:33 PM
Perfect, thanks

nobbyclark
2nd April 2015, 10:10 AM
I have Brembo discs all round on my R53 but the weak link is the Green Stuff pads. I am going to upgrade them to Mintex M1144 pads and also fit some of these fancy HEL lines that everyone seems to rave about. I drive crappy rental cars with better brakes than my Mini.

jdl_1967
2nd April 2015, 06:32 PM
Thank you, sadly my problem has moved from not being able to stop, to not being able to go :-( car in garage as I type

EcosseGP
3rd April 2015, 11:10 AM
You should notice a difference with stainless steel lines as it firms up the brake pedal. You should also have a good pedal with standard lines though they're just not up to hard and prolonged use.

nobbyclark
8th April 2015, 01:27 PM
I've just ordered HEL lines and Mintex 1144 pads to go with my existing Brembo discs. And some expensive brake fluid too. Hopefully that will improve matters.

Colin
9th April 2015, 01:16 PM
Mintex pads are def the way to go, avoid greenstuff!