PDA

View Full Version : ECU Reset

Eddie_JCW
15th March 2015, 10:26 PM
I know a lot of you will already know this but it's amazing what an ECU reset can do every once in a while. I have been running the car on Momentum for a while but I've recently been filling up with V-Power and it seemed a little off, almost as if it was normal unleaded. After the reset it felt a lot more lively even after the calibration period, the pops sounded a little more brutal (always good :p) it just felt more like I wanted it to. So if you feel like your car is maybe down on power I'd recommend it.

Steps-

1.Google "secret menu r56" you'll see a video (I watched this one -Clicky (http://youtu.be/aDhIFgkEZX0)) on how to access it. I didn't need it really but it'd been that long I thought it'd be best to refresh my memory on the unlock sequence.
2.Select menu 21 reset then press the trip 0.0 button and voila it's done without disconnecting the battery :)
3. Drive how you normally would, I reset mine on a country road so I could get it how I like it, I don't know how important the calibration period is but I think it's best to do it in a place where you'd like to get the most out of it.

If anyone has any hints or tips, please feel free to share. It's going to be something that everyone does differently.

EcosseGP
16th March 2015, 12:06 AM
This only work on an R53 model Eddie ?

Eddie_JCW
16th March 2015, 12:56 AM
Davy I'm 99.9% sure it'll work on all MINIs.

Here is a how-to for the earlier models, which don't have a lock probably only R50/2/3. The R55/6/7/8/9/60/61 models require a lock code from adding the last 5 digits of the VIN (eg VIN is 12345 code=1+2+3+4+5 so the code is 15).
the how-to below is pretty much identical for both variations.

How to Reset the ECU:
With the key in the ignition, but in the off position, press and hold down the odometer reset button with one hand, while holding the button down, switch the key in the ignition to position 1 (first click) with the other hand. The screen will have a number and the word “tESt”. Scroll through the numbers by pressing the odometer rest button, through to 19 and wait a moment. (Note: the number order is: 1,2,10,19) The message will say 19 "L i-off", flash to "L i-on", and back to "L i-off" again. When "log i-off" appears, press the odometer rest button again. You are now in the system. Scroll through to 21. tESt and wait a moment. 21.0 rESEt will come up. Press the button once.
Your gauges will now make some sounds and movements.
Once the lights come back on start your car. You have now reset your ECU and your MINI is now ready to relearn the new mods and your driving style.
Here is a list of all the tests on your MINI:
1.0 Chassis number
1.1 Kilometer count
1.2 Parts number
1.3 Coding-, Diagnostic- and Bus-index
1.4 Production Date (Calendar week/year)
1.5 Hard- and Software status
1.6 Injector status, Cylinder count, Engine factor.
2.0 Comb system Test
3.0 Service interval counter
4.0 Actual fuel consumption in l/100km. eg.0154 = 15,4 liters/100kms.
4.1 Consumption in liters/100kms.
5.0 Distance consumption in l/100kms.
5.1 Actual rest distance with available fuel in Kms.
6.0 Actual amount of fuel in tank. eg. 123321 =12,3liters left 32,1 liters right
6.1 Total amount of fuel in tank.
6.2 Show value of Fuel gauge.
1= both senders OK, 2= sender failure, 3=ti signal implausible (no reading)
7.0 Actual coolant temp.
7.1 Actual outside temp.
7.2 Actual engine revs.
7.3 Actual speed
8.0 Hexadecimal readings of menu 7.0 to 7.3
9.0 Actual on board voltage (Battery)
10.0 Land codes
11.0 Unit codes
12.0 No function
13.0 Gong test
14.0 - 14.4 On board diagnostic codes. eg 000000 = no failures
15.0 - 18.0 No function
19.0 On/Off for Test menu.
20.0 Correction factor for Fuel consumption Formula for correction:
Shown consumption x 1000 / user defined consumption
Push the trip reset button to begin the correction. Numbers count up from 0-9, when correct number shows push trip reset button.
20.1 Sets 10ths. for consumption factor
20.2 Sets 100ths. and 1000ths. For consumption factor
20.3 saves the new consumption factor and shows new value
21.0 Software reset. (Same as disconnecting battery)

- - - Updated - - -

I hope everyone understands the process (it's easier than it looks above) and if it helps even just one person I'll be happy , I should really start doing my own videos :lol: I'd also like to do a few more how-tos ;)

next one will more than likely be front brakes :( which will be a lot more my own work instead of stealing bits and bobs here and there. :Whistle:

Mon the fish
16th March 2015, 07:14 AM
Just like changing the oil more often than Mini recommends, it's good practice to clear the ECU adaptions on a fairly regular basis - any small issues like boost leaks etc can be hidden as the ECU adapts, clearing them will show up any issues

Crombers
16th March 2015, 09:02 AM
Think mine might be a bit overdue then ............... 11 years :Whistle:

I'll happily watch (& learn obviously :rolleyes:) the process if you wanna use mine as 'test mule' during our stay at the Grainary :smilewinkgrin:

I'm sure it would be worthwhile starting off with the R50 and then seeing how this ecu reset thingy ......... got em, newer/better/squeekycleaner :thumbs up: