PDA

View Full Version : Motoring movies

badwolf340
2nd March 2015, 08:24 PM
According to today's papers,a survey of film fans ( conducted by the car people ,car traders) by 3000 people found that the number one motoring movie ever was
1. The Italian job (1969)
2. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
3. The Fast and Furious (2001)
4. Speed (1994)
5. Cars (2006)
6. Bullitt (1968)
7. Taxi (1998)
8. Days of Thunder (1990)
9. Rush (2013)
10. Drive (2011)

any films missed out in your opinion.....and what postion and why ,couple of films that I think are great and should be included are Christine and Inital D ( film version not Manga series)

john
2nd March 2015, 08:34 PM
How about Two Lane Black Top

MINI William
2nd March 2015, 09:05 PM
Christine is a great car film

badwolf340
2nd March 2015, 09:12 PM
How about Two Lane Black Top

forgot about that one John

Mon the fish
2nd March 2015, 09:53 PM
Le Mans surely!?

CiderFex
2nd March 2015, 11:17 PM
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974)
Goodbye Pork Pie (1981)

I may get shot down for this one but I personally think that Fast and Furious and Need for Speed are some of the worst films ever made.

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

john
3rd March 2015, 12:04 AM
Tower heist

- - - Updated - - -

I may get shot down for this one but I personally think that Fast and Furious and Need for Speed are some of the worst films ever made.

i agree

AndyP & Lenore
3rd March 2015, 12:48 AM
Gone In Sixty Seconds. Can't beat some Nic Cage/Jerry Bruckheimer slo-mo action nonsense. :thumbs up:

john
3rd March 2015, 12:57 AM
Gran Torino

Death Proof

EcosseGP
3rd March 2015, 02:15 AM
Christine ... lol the crazed car !
There's not even a Herbie Film listed :)
Got to say I'm surprised that Gone in 60 seconds wasn't listed ... Or Disney's "Cars"
What about Smokey and The Bandit ?

Eddie_JCW
3rd March 2015, 07:58 AM
That's got to be 3000 people over 70 or 3000 people who know nothing about about a good car film.

I do believe the first F&F deserves a spot up there but Chitty Chitty can come off and be replaced with Gone in 60 seconds if not for the great film that it is, at least for the great cars, personally I'd put it up there just for Jolie ;) I'd also take off Days of Thunder because I haven't seen it and put a Tomb Raider on, decent cars in it too :Whistle::blush: I'd take Speed off (I see enough buses to know that what they did isn't possible :lol:) and put Senna on.

CiderFex
3rd March 2015, 08:13 AM
Nice shout with Senna.
It is one of the only films that I've ever watched that completely changed my mind about someone.

Blues Brothers would have to be in my top 10.

MINI William
3rd March 2015, 08:38 AM
What about rush?

CiderFex
3rd March 2015, 08:41 AM
I've not seen that yet.
I'm gonna buy it on Blu-Ray and watch it after the house move has been sorted.
[emoji106]

Eddie_JCW
3rd March 2015, 09:30 AM
Rush is a brilliant movie I'd say it should've been higher than 9th

zimbo
3rd March 2015, 11:04 AM
Wheres:

Herbie
Love Bug
Cannonball Run
Smokey and the Bandit I & II
Gone in 60 Seconds (like Andy said)
Gumball Rally
:thumbs up:

john
3rd March 2015, 11:16 AM
The Senna movie was my first thought but I did not think it fell into a Motoring category, fantastic film and so is Rush!

CiderFex
3rd March 2015, 11:18 AM
Blues Brothers ?

EcosseGP
3rd March 2015, 12:09 PM
Thelma and Louise ? Does that come under motoring !

donnaj1dlh
3rd March 2015, 12:11 PM
Looking forward to seeing Focus this weekend - with an RCZ in it .... oh, and Will Smith :p

ianking
3rd March 2015, 02:15 PM
Totally agree about the proper Italian Job being number one but not sure about chitty being in there.

I always liked the car chase scenes in Ronin. Suprised its not up there.

Crombers
3rd March 2015, 03:53 PM
Released last year, ROAD the story of the 2 sets of the Dunlop brothers, the Irish road racing dynasty.

Kinda Senna'esq but on two wheels, it is an awesome film.

Joey Dunlop, my all time motor sport personality :yes nod:

jonnie
3rd March 2015, 10:47 PM
Death proof. Great shout john.

EcosseGP
3rd March 2015, 10:53 PM
Released last year, ROAD the story of the 2 sets of the Dunlop brothers, the Irish road racing dynasty.

Kinda Senna'esq but on two wheels, it is an awesome film.

Joey Dunlop, my all time motor sport personality :yes nod:

^^ good shout brilliant film :)

AndyP & Lenore
3rd March 2015, 11:19 PM
Wheres:

Herbie
Love Bug
Cannonball Run
Smokey and the Bandit I & II
Gone in 60 Seconds (like Andy said)
Gumball Rally

True enough, Cannonball Run, Smokey etc, classics.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

But Herbie/Love Bug? Seriously Zimbo?

zimbo
4th March 2015, 09:16 AM
But Herbie/Love Bug? Seriously Zimbo?

:yes nod: yup, I love that bug and they are great classic car films that all the family can sit down together and hopefully enjoy as well as going a long way towards introducing young kids to world of cars in theory!! Obviously making sure said kids realise that real cars cannot do what Herbie does :thumbs up:

I take it by your comment MrP that your not a fan then :moonie:

john
4th March 2015, 11:15 AM
I like watch Randal and Hopkirk for the classic cars that are in it, Zimbo, there was a Beetle used in the Herbie movies that was taken to the premier showing of the movie and all of the Stars had their photos taken sitting in it and autographed the dash, that car is in a warehouse not far from me, along with approx a 40 Car collection of rare and expensive VWs

zimbo
4th March 2015, 12:36 PM
there was a Beetle used in the hernia movies that was taken to the premier showing of the movie and all of the Stars had their photos taken sitting in it and autographed the dash, that car is in a warehouse not far from me, along with approx a 40 Car collection of rare and expensive VWs

...the what movies? :hand:

That sounds like a cool place John :thumbs up:

EcosseGP
4th March 2015, 04:35 PM
:yes nod: yup, I love that bug and they are great classic car films that all the family can sit down together and hopefully enjoy as well as going a long way towards introducing young kids to world of cars in theory!! Obviously making sure said kids realise that real cars cannot do what Herbie does :thumbs up:

I'm with you Ali ... Where's Herbie it's a film based around a car ! Bit like Christine :)

zimbo
4th March 2015, 05:07 PM
I'm with you Ali ... Where's Herbie it's a film based around a car ! Bit like Christine :)

Burple
4th March 2015, 07:08 PM
Can't believe nobody's mentioned Vanishing Point yet!! :thud::thud: cracking film :thumbs up::D

john
4th March 2015, 11:55 PM

oops blame auto correct

- - - Updated - - -

oops blame auto correct

ELFMAN
4th March 2015, 11:55 PM
AMERICAN GRAFITTI!!! :usaflag:
Perfect combo of Cars and Music, with a generous helping of Nostalgia. Great characters too, and early appearances of famous actors - Harrison Ford, Richard Drayfuss, Ron Howard etc. The scene at the end of the film with the dawn drag race between Milner's Deuce Coupe and Falfa's black 55 Chevy with Booker T & the MG's 'Green Onions' soundtrack is one of my fave cinematic moments.

GUMBALL RALLY
is a blast too, but often overlooked - how can you not love a race through a storm drain between a Ferrari Daytona Spyder and a 427 Cobra?

Agree with lots of others mentioned too. The Italian Job (original) has to be No 1 for me though, as it helped cement my never-ending love affair with the Mini. The 'sequel' is a great film too, as it's well done and features 'our' fave car, but the original does indeed "Blow the bloody doors off"!

AndyP & Lenore
4th March 2015, 11:59 PM

I was as a kid Zimbo, I must admit. I just never thought of it as a 'car film', but I guess it is at it's heart. :thumbs up:

MINI William
5th March 2015, 08:32 AM
Perfect combo of Cars and Music, with a generous helping of Nostalgia. Great characters too, and early appearances of famous actors - Harrison Ford, Richard Drayfuss, Ron Howard etc. The scene at the end of the film with the dawn drag race between Milner's Deuce Coupe and Falfa's black 55 Chevy with Booker T & the MG's 'Green Onions' soundtrack is one of my fave cinematic moments.

GUMBALL RALLY
is a blast too, but often overlooked - how can you not love a race through a storm drain between a Ferrari Daytona Spyder and a 427 Cobra?

Agree with lots of others mentioned too. The Italian Job (original) has to be No 1 for me though, as it helped cement my never-ending love affair with the Mini. The 'sequel' is a great film too, as it's well done and features 'our' fave car, but the original does indeed "Blow the bloody doors off"!

Forgot about American Graffiti brilliant film

badwolf340
26th July 2015, 08:56 AM

GUMBALL RALLY

Missed someone mentioning American Grafitti .....it's an excellent film

MiniSnaps
30th July 2015, 08:55 PM
The 60s film Robbery, based on the Great Train Robbery, has one of the best car chases in movie history.

The original 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds, The French Connection, Two Lane Blacktop and Goodbye Pork Pie are all well worth watching [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badwolf340
1st August 2015, 09:36 PM
The 60s film Robbery, based on the Great Train Robbery, has one of the best car chases in movie history.

The original 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds, The French Connection, Two Lane Blacktop and Goodbye Pork Pie are all well worth watching [emoji106]

The original gone in 60 sec I found it to be not very good and I thought the remake much better ,anyone else think of other films

MiniSnaps
3rd August 2015, 10:30 PM
The original gone in 60 sec I found it to be not very good and I thought the remake much better ,anyone else think of other films

I'll admit to preferring low budget films over Hollywood blockbusters....