PDA

View Full Version : Fitting grs intercooler

davidmacdonald306
11th February 2015, 04:34 PM
Have just ordered a grs motorsport intercooler and was wondering how easy it is to fit yourself or if it's a garage job? Thanks in advance!

Mon the fish
11th February 2015, 04:55 PM
Piece of cake. Hex heads on the snoot boot clamps, and bolts on the front of the intercooler. Only thing to watch is catching the spark plug leads. 30 mins top

davidmacdonald306
11th February 2015, 04:57 PM
That's great news. I was starting to think I would have to put off fitting the reduced pulley until the intercooler arrives next week.

Mon the fish
11th February 2015, 06:43 PM
The only difference between the fit of the new one and OEM from memory is the brackets at the front between the intercooler and the inlet manifold.

The hardest part is getting the last snoot boot in place over the horns - bit of a squeeze, watch and not tear the boots or leave a leak

CiderFex
11th February 2015, 07:21 PM
I'm sure Craig did this not so long ago....

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

Craig
11th February 2015, 08:19 PM
Yeah MUCH easier job with the GRS than the Airtec myself and Davy fitted as it has cutouts in the right places. As Gordon say, easy enough job, just a few bolts :). Good luck !

davidmacdonald306
11th February 2015, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get it fitted with no dramas!

jdl_1967
11th February 2015, 09:04 PM
Fitted mine in about 30 minutes flat, no fitment issues whatsoever. You have to remove all the brackets that hold the factory intercooler in place.

Mon the fish
13th February 2015, 10:43 PM
Just thinking about this- when did you last change your plugs? You need the intercooler off to do them, so might be an ideal time.

Also if you're doing the plugs, have a look at the coil pack and leads- terminal 3 goes rusty for some reason, but normally cleans up Ok.

Would make sense to have a look at the ignition when you're in there, so to speak

stoney
13th February 2015, 11:17 PM
Just thinking about this- when did you last change your plugs? You need the intercooler off to do them, so might be an ideal time.

Also if you're doing the plugs, have a look at the coil pack and leads- terminal 3 goes rusty for some reason, but normally cleans up Ok.

Would make sense to have a look at the ignition when you're in there, so to speak

Good advice :)

davidmacdonald306
15th February 2015, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, got the colder plugs to go in with the pulley before the intercooler arrives. Gutted though as the mechanic who was fitting the pulley has pulled out on me, said his bmw mechanic friend says it's not as easy as I might think and it can cause running problems. Is it just me or is this a bit strange? Oh well, I've waited all winter what's a couple more weeks. (the waiting is killing me!)

EcosseGP
15th February 2015, 08:20 AM
^^^ it's not an easy job that's for sure. I looked at doing it for the big fella but when I saw what was involved I left it to the experts ... an easy job for them right enough.

stoney
15th February 2015, 09:20 AM
Why not talk to Gerry at performance tek

EcosseGP
15th February 2015, 12:57 PM
Eddie at Burgoynes will be more than happy to help :)

Gez
15th February 2015, 03:22 PM
Used Gerry at Performance Tek for a few things including my Cam and ive been really impressed.