PDA

View Full Version : Steam cleaning

Eddie_JCW
10th February 2015, 07:33 PM
I done a bit of browsing and ended up deciding I needed a steam cleaner to help with car cleaning. I've bought the Karcher SC1.020 any of you got one? I'm just about to try it on Rachael's mats first as they're atrocious.
How many of you use steam to help clean cars and does anyone have any hints and tips?

CiderFex
10th February 2015, 08:06 PM
I use a small household one to do the engine bay.
Do not use it very close to any plastics, it will slightly melt it if you hold it too close for too long.

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

donnaj1dlh
10th February 2015, 08:47 PM
I just use our household steam bullet. When we bought our old Freelander ther seats and (beige) headlining were in a god awful mess. I used a small brush attachment with a microfibre over it. The headlining came up brand new :)

MINI William
10th February 2015, 10:04 PM
Yehp I've got a Karcher Steamcleaner love it

EcosseGP
11th February 2015, 01:16 AM
Yeah I've got a cheap one but don't really use it .. Just be careful when cleaning engine bay stuff as Pete says it can melt stuff if you're too close.

Eddie_JCW
11th February 2015, 01:23 AM
Pete I'm being over cautious anyway lol so I doubt there's any risk of that, also practicing using it on Rachael's car first :lol:

Donna that's what I wanted to use it for, I've a 21 year old car that seems like it's not been cleaned inside since it was new.

It is a good bit of kit, certainly hot :lol:

Cheers Davy :)

EcosseGP
11th February 2015, 09:42 AM
If you're looking to do the interior with it Eddie you'd be better with a wet vax maybe. If not ..
Mist the seat with water then spray with upholstery cleaner and lightly scrub with a nail brush then remove the excess water with a dry cloth and leave the car running for about 10 mins with the heater on full to dry out ...

donnaj1dlh
11th February 2015, 10:15 AM
I think I have photos of the Landy roof somewhere Eddie - half steamed, half not. I'll see if I can find them later.

MINI William
11th February 2015, 10:51 AM
Ive always Vaxed the interior like what Davy is saying rather than steaming which I use for under bonnet, door shuts etc etc

Eddie_JCW
11th February 2015, 12:41 PM
If you're looking to do the interior with it Eddie you'd be better with a wet vax maybe. If not ..
Mist the seat with water then spray with upholstery cleaner and lightly scrub with a nail brush then remove the excess water with a dry cloth and leave the car running for about 10 mins with the heater on full to dry out ...

Yeah I just wasn't sure that a wet vax would tackle the tough stuff. Cheers Davy :thumbs up:

Bryce
13th February 2015, 01:15 AM
For your mats use the sort of T shaped attachment and wrap microfibres round it! Works a treat but you'll need a water extractor for that deep clean!

Works awesome on leather as the heat opens the pours for a deeper clean!

But yeah as above be weary of the damage it can cause. Not only melting plastics but the psi on delicate surfaces can cause damage. MINIs are fairly safe but VW's have this horrible coating like plasti dip on their plastics and it'll rip that clean off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie_JCW
13th February 2015, 01:23 AM
Cheers Bryce, that's exactly what I did. I watched a couple of AMMO NYC's videos on YouTube and he gave exactly the same advice you just have :thumbs up:

Bryce
14th February 2015, 05:05 PM
larry kosilla knows his stuff! Best detailing videos on the tube!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk