PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My MINI's unconscious!

ELFMAN
5th February 2015, 01:14 PM
Hi folks, as some of you will know, the Elves have had a few health issues over the past year - Dad in hospital since April '14 and me having a nice wee heart attack in September. Well now G3ELF needs a defibrillator!!!

I haven't had the car out of the garage since last September (for obvious reasons), but after last weekend's excellent Cars & Coffee at Brechin I was determined to get my new NMS stickers on, crank it up and take it out. You'll know what's coming...

Needless to say, lack of use, lack of trickle-charger and the cold weather have put the poor thing into suspended animation - totally dead :sad:
I had it at the back of my mind that this could happen, and a few folks have mentioned it, but other stuff got in the way.

I was going to try to jump-start it from the Skoda, and as far as I'm aware, the battery's in the boot. Anyway, I opened the driver's door 'manually' with the key, but I can't get the boot open as the electrics are flat! Even if the battery was up front, I can't get the car out of the garage...

Anyway, "What to do next" type advice would be most welcome. Do I shove some of my heart pills into the Alta and blow? :smilewinkgrin:

Eddie_JCW
5th February 2015, 01:57 PM
Hi Euan, there's 2 things you could try. Firstly have you looked under your back seats for a release handle? The only other option is to get power under the bonnet some how.

Eddie_JCW
5th February 2015, 02:07 PM
Ignore me, it won't have a boot release and the battery isn't in the boot, I was forgetting it was an R56 ;)

Craig
5th February 2015, 02:17 PM
Aye, battery in the engine bay so see if you can get some power to it and see if it lives :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badwolf340
5th February 2015, 02:30 PM
Yip battery in the front left hand side (as you look in) best to get power in battery before you try to start it, last thing you want are any voltage spikes.

Gismo
5th February 2015, 02:49 PM
Get one of those battery check battery charger's, let that sit for 24 hours and wait for the diagnostic report, probably looking at a new battery though

ELFMAN
5th February 2015, 04:33 PM
Cheers folks, I was getting my battery positions confused! Was my R53's in the boot? Shows how long its been since I was under the bonnet...

Gismo
5th February 2015, 05:35 PM
Cheers folks, I was getting my battery positions confused! Was my R53's in the boot? Shows how long its been since I was under the bonnet...Yep, R53 battery in the boot

ELFMAN
5th February 2015, 07:28 PM
Yep, R53 battery in the boot

To quote a Jethro Tull song, I'm obviously "Living in the Past" :smilewinkgrin: Will go out tomorrow and have a look at the right end of the car :thumbs up:
I have a battery charger - is removing the battery straightforward, or is it a pain in the :moonie:? If it's OK to remove for charging, will it cause problems with any of the electrics etc to disconnect it? I know I'm being a bit dim, but don't want to 'charge' in and muck stuff up...

badwolf340
5th February 2015, 07:59 PM
If it's an intelligent charger you can leave battery in place (waits for comments :yes nod:)

ELFMAN
5th February 2015, 08:15 PM
If it's an intelligent charger you can leave battery in place (waits for comments :yes nod:)

Nah, I'm afraid my charger is thick as sh*t Brian :blink:
Can anyone recommend a clever one? Preferably cheaper than a new battery!

stoney
5th February 2015, 08:19 PM
You can remove the battery with no problems

EcosseGP
5th February 2015, 09:13 PM
If the battery isn't too bad then you'll be able to salvage it with a charger but sometimes once it's dead it's dead. I'd leave the battery in place but disconnect the terminals and leave it overnight to charge Euan.

ELFMAN
5th February 2015, 10:17 PM
You can remove the battery with no problems

If the battery isn't too bad then you'll be able to salvage it with a charger but sometimes once it's dead it's dead. I'd leave the battery in place but disconnect the terminals and leave it overnight to charge Euan.

Thanks guys, I have no power feed in garage, so I'll take the battery out and give it a charge.

I was really p'd off today as I was looking forward to hearing that motor start up and burble away to itself. First time for a while I've been in the mood!

Craig
5th February 2015, 10:56 PM
I've got several chargers in my garage Euan (my dad was a hoarder). Your welcome to borrow one if you want. How about I meet you tomorrow after my work if you can and I can take that suspension off your hands ?

Craig
5th February 2015, 10:56 PM
2 birds, 1 stone and all that :)

MINI William
5th February 2015, 10:59 PM
NMS at its best

AndyP & Lenore
6th February 2015, 12:00 AM
NMS at its best :thumbs up::thumbs up:

NMS never leaves an injured MINI behind. :smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
6th February 2015, 12:56 AM
I've got several chargers in my garage Euan (my dad was a hoarder). Your welcome to borrow one if you want. How about I meet you tomorrow after my work if you can and I can take that suspension off your hands ?

That would be handy Craig. I have a wee charger as I often had to remove and charge Dad's Honda Jazz battery as he used the car so little, but if you have a better one that would be fine. You're most welcome to pick up the suspension, just give me a time and we'll sort it out. I should get the suspension out of the hut by the afternoon!

Big Gordy
6th February 2015, 01:16 PM
I have one of these http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/?gclid=CLP93uylzcMCFc6CfgodYEMAKA if you need to borrow it Euan if Craig can't sort you out :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
6th February 2015, 03:17 PM
Arranged to meet tonight - :)

weefossy
6th February 2015, 04:58 PM
"Big Craig" to the rescue.......... and tomorrow it will be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKNw477onU&list=RDqRKNw477onU

Craig
6th February 2015, 07:00 PM
That's the elf mobile on charge - fingers crossed everyone !!

stoney
6th February 2015, 08:02 PM
That's the elf mobile on charge - fingers crossed everyone !!

Good stuff [emoji106][emoji106]

badwolf340
6th February 2015, 09:08 PM
It will be fine

ELFMAN
6th February 2015, 10:42 PM
UPDATE!
:thumbs up: BIG THANKS to the BIG MAN for dropping in this afternoon with the 'clever' charger. Saved having to remove the battery. Checked it out tonight after visiting Dad, and everything looks OK, can now use remote locking at least, so we're getting there!
Thanks for the offer of your charger though Gordy.

Will leave it on charge till the indicator tells me it's juiced up, then will get the wee beastie fired up for the first time in about four months... scandalous I know. Thanks to all concerned.

ps Craig finally got the R53 Sports Plus suspension I promnised him about 6 months ago! I know there's a Cunning Plan afoot :smilewinkgrin:
pps Craig did look good in his 'International Rescue' outfit.

EcosseGP
6th February 2015, 10:59 PM
Good to see that the Elf mobile is on the mend ... If it doesn't hold its charge overnight it'll need to be a new battery but fingers crossed !!!

stoney
6th February 2015, 11:13 PM
I know Malcolm had to put a new battery in the beast just back in the summer there so would not surprise me if it dose need one tbh

EcosseGP
7th February 2015, 07:58 AM
Once the batteries are allowed to go beyond a certain level then they can not be recovered. Just be careful Euan thAt it doesn't fire up you use it and then it dies straight away when you get back. You'll only know once you take it out ...

MINI William
7th February 2015, 08:03 AM
Pleased that it looks like its on the mend.

badwolf340
7th February 2015, 10:32 AM
One thing to mind that they told us at the Tec night ,depending on the year ,when fitting a new battery it will need coding to the car so it knows it's been changed

ELFMAN
7th February 2015, 03:03 PM
Once the batteries are allowed to go beyond a certain level then they can not be recovered. Just be careful Euan thAt it doesn't fire up you use it and then it dies straight away when you get back. You'll only know once you take it out ...

:thumbs up: Battery charger indcated all OK - Got it started! New NMS stickers applied!
Will take it out and see what happens... stay tuned!

stoney
7th February 2015, 03:14 PM
:thumbs up: Battery charger indcated all OK - Got it started! New NMS stickers applied!
Will take it out and see what happens... stay tuned!

Good stuff Elfman [emoji106][emoji106]

MINI William
7th February 2015, 03:50 PM
All da good so far. Pleased that it's on the road

Eddie_JCW
7th February 2015, 03:56 PM
Great news Elfman :thumbs up:

Craig
7th February 2015, 04:19 PM
Yahoo !! Good news wee man . Chuffed for you. Hopefully the battery will hold a charge now. Your welcome to hold onto that for a while and keep it on as a maintainer til the good weather :)

CiderFex
7th February 2015, 04:22 PM
Great news.
[emoji106]

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

ELFMAN
7th February 2015, 11:08 PM
Thanks folks! Took car out for a wee run and all seemed well - brakes grumbled a bit as they've not been used for ages. Had a low battery warning when I came back, but it has since disappeared after I went to visit Dad later in the afternoon. Have Service Indicators for next month tho - Brake Fluid and 'Roadworthiness', and also an Engine Oil one for May, so I'm going to book it in next week to get these all done, as the it's been neglected for a while and it would seem like a good idea to give it the once-over.

The car went as well as I remembered, which is pretty good considering it hasn't moved for 4 months. sounding nice too (if I say so myself!). I took a couple of photos with its new stickers, but my old laptop isn't letting me upload them for some reason. Anyway, hopefully it'll start OK tomorrow, but if not, I still have Craig's 'Magic Charger'. If I can get the service stuff done next week, that should sort it out for the Spring! Dad should be getting out of hospital fairly soon, so I might not get much opportunity for joyriding, at least initially, but the car will be up for it when we get things sorted out at home.

Thanks for all your input - NMS never leaves a wounded man in the field!

Craig
7th February 2015, 11:22 PM
So happy for you mate - hopefully the battery will hold a charge now. If not its Prob new battery time. Fingers crossed it's all ok tho [emoji2]

ELFMAN
7th February 2015, 11:57 PM
Cheers Craig, like your good self, the charger was a great help. Peace of mind is a handy tool to have in the garage!

It was pretty good to get back in the MINI today, even if the old 'mojo' isn't quite there yet, and the roads were well greasy, I gave it a few revs and raised a smile with some pops and gurgles on the over-run, and it's still fun to see who looks round when the Alta does its 'Tsssshhhhhhh' thing :smilewinkgrin: The exhaust and intake setup is just loud enough to be interesting without attracting the wrong sort of attention!

The Adventure isn't over yet! :thumbs up: :motoring:

Craig
8th February 2015, 12:15 AM
It's my Dad still helping even when he's not here Euan - I'm just the guy who delivered it :) :). Gotta love a MINI bringing a smile to your face ;)

ELFMAN
9th February 2015, 07:13 PM
It's a hard habit to break Craig, especially when you've been at it as long as we have :smilewinkgrin:

Had the car out a few times now, and it's going fine - now totally manky of course, but I've decided it's better to have a dirty MINI which goes rather than a spotless MINI which doesn't! I'm sure your Dad will have a wee smile knowing that his gear is still being put to good use. Respect Sir.

Booked in to Douglas Park MINI on 2nd March for a Bumper Bundle of servicing etc. Brake Fluid, Roadworthiness Check (it certainly feels 'roadworthy' at about 7 grand in 3rd...) and M.O.T. Thought I'd get everything done at once, then we're ready to rock in the Spring :thumbs up:

weefossy
9th February 2015, 08:17 PM
Great news Euan. As you said, it's better having a dirty Mini that gets used, than a clean one sitting in the garage doing nothing. Start using it as the "daily runner" and enjoy every day.
Davy, you can ignore this post as the ramblings of the "Still Game brigade". Don't want you getting ill........

ELFMAN
9th February 2015, 08:28 PM
Cheers Malcolm! :thumbs up:

badwolf340
9th February 2015, 09:45 PM
Great news Euan. As you said, it's better having a dirty Mini that gets used, than a clean one sitting in the garage doing nothing. Start using it as the "daily runner" and enjoy every day.
Davy, you can ignore this post as the ramblings of the "Still Game brigade". Don't want you getting ill........
Think your right Malcolm both the GP and the M4 are in the garage dirty but dry ,

Big Gordy
9th February 2015, 10:07 PM
Glad to see your back in the saddle old boy....pip pip what... :p

EcosseGP
9th February 2015, 10:17 PM

PMSL ... No I agree it always brings a smile to my face seeing a MINI being driven but some of the ones I've seen lately I just want to follow and wash them when they get parked up lol.
Maybe we could add this to our service big fella lol

Craig
9th February 2015, 10:40 PM
PMSL ... No I agree it always brings a smile to my face seeing a MINI being driven but some of the ones I've seen lately I just want to follow and wash them when they get parked up lol.

:) :)

weefossy
9th February 2015, 10:40 PM
Need to set up the
"Dirty Mini Polis".....ne ha ....ne ha..... ne ha

"What's wrong occifer, wis a speeden"?...................."Nope"
"Is may number plate illegal"................................."Nope"

"So why did ye stop me"?......................................"yer getting a ticket"

"what fur"................."Yer cars manky".............take the ticket and go straight to

Am I confusing the day jobs? Doh!!http://www.saltiredetailing.co.uk/images/sitelogo3.png

Eddie_JCW
9th February 2015, 11:12 PM

Davy you can follow me home after every run if you like and clean my car lol don't worry I'll make you a cuppa for doing it ;)

CiderFex
9th February 2015, 11:53 PM
Need to set up the
"Dirty Mini Polis".....ne ha ....ne ha..... ne ha

"What's wrong occifer, wis a speeden"?...................."Nope"
"Is may number plate illegal"................................."Nope"

"So why did ye stop me"?......................................"yer getting a ticket"

"what fur"................."Yer cars manky".............take the ticket and go straight to

Am I confusing the day jobs? Doh!!http://www.saltiredetailing.co.uk/images/sitelogo3.png
PMSL

ELFMAN
10th February 2015, 01:35 AM
I just want to follow and wash them when they get parked up lol.
What a brilliant idea Davy! Craig knows where I live, so feel free anytime! :thumbs up: :carwash: :thankyou:

Craig
10th February 2015, 09:01 AM
Ha ha Malcolm :)

Yeah Euan, I'm sure we could pop by for a "fee" ;)

EcosseGP
11th February 2015, 01:17 AM
PMSL ... Very good Malcolm ! I've got your number mind !! :)

weefossy
11th February 2015, 02:36 PM
"All done in the best possible taste"

ELFMAN
11th February 2015, 05:53 PM
Yeah Euan, I'm sure we could pop by for a "fee" ;)

Ach, too late, all washed, dried and back under its blanket! :thumbs up:

EcosseGP
11th February 2015, 09:06 PM
Too late ? It's never too late Euan we'll take it out the garage and then put it back in (no extra charge) :):)

ELFMAN
11th February 2015, 11:52 PM
Too late ? It's never too late Euan we'll take it out the garage and then put it back in (no extra charge) :):)

I can recommend a good psychiatrist... :blink:

CiderFex
12th February 2015, 10:32 AM
....he's already beyond that I fear.
[emoji6]

EcosseGP
12th February 2015, 10:51 AM
I can recommend a good psychiatrist... :blink:

Does he sell buckets cheap ? ;)