PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain

CraigR53
2nd February 2015, 03:55 PM
Since I bought the car I've had the niggle in my head about my timing chain(08 plate so death rattle year), I've been told multiple times from Parks (yes I severaly regret buying from them) that the cars fine, not that that really goes for much. I then decided they were full of **** and went to Harry Fairbairn, Irvine and I payed for them to investigate the noise. I was informed my timing chain had been replaced a year earlier by the previous owner and that a dirty fuel system was the cause for a very rough idle when cold and a said noise with a cold engine. I also had a drop in power with smoke from my exhaust when under harsh acceleration. The fuel treatment has granted vastly reduced the occurrence of the smoke and power lose but my noise is getting worse. The rattle is worst on cold mornings and after starting the engine again from a short run day across town. How can I prove my point here, both garages seam to be against me and do I have a foot to stand on with replacement if mini did indeed replace the tensioner and its back again so soon? Also how can I prove the tensioner has snapped as I have a mechanical breakdown warrenty with parks which is activated when a mechanical part fails.

Craig

Duncan Stewart
2nd February 2015, 04:30 PM
The dreaded rattle! Curse of R56 cooper S minis. My advice is check for an oil leak. My tensioner failed causing a sudden loss of oil and was told the tensioner was covered but not engine damage due to oil starvation.

CraigR53
2nd February 2015, 04:35 PM
Ah now I did have an oil leak about 4/5 weeks ago, it was nothing major and was up the front of the engine, but it's since been fixed by parks under warrenty and no other problems as far as oil leaks go... Also had a coolant leak just before this, again covered under warrenty!

- - - Updated - - -

Are the noises I'm describing sound like the tensioner? I have that gut feeling but got everyone telling me they can't hear it/the cars fine ect! :ragin:

badwolf340
2nd February 2015, 07:27 PM
Either post a vid of the noise ,or what would have been more helpful would be if some of the troops could listen to it running,the injectors on these engines are very noisy .

CraigR53
2nd February 2015, 07:35 PM
What would be the best way to post videos on the forum?

MINI William
2nd February 2015, 08:22 PM
Upload to YouTube then copy the link over