PDA

View Full Version : Noisy scraping brakes

donnaj1dlh
17th January 2015, 06:55 PM
Over the last month or so my brakes have got quite noisy, especially when your doing soft braking (in queues) etc. So today, since the roads were actually DRY I took the opportunity to give them a right good blast with the powerwasher and took it along the road for a few high speed emergency stops. They seem to be performing as usual and don't pull/vibrate, so I'm hoping its just been a build up of salt and grit as the car's only done 5000miles.

Do you reckon this is sufficient to clean them up or should I get myself some brake cleaner stuff? I could do them properly once I take the winter wheels back off but it'll be a couple of months before I do it. Has anyone used it? What brand can you recommend?

Angib
17th January 2015, 07:58 PM
In my experience, Mini discs are very prone to rusting when not used - that's a fair exchange, as discs that don't rust tend not to brake so well. But this does give you the noisy scraping sound when you then use them.

There's no need to use the powerwasher on them, just give them some good hard use. Anyone who doesn't have nearby access to fast roads may find that a problem, becasue it's difficult to get any serious braking done at 30mph - it really takes one or more good stops from high speed to get the brakes perfectly clean.

badwolf340
18th January 2015, 11:24 AM
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

MINI William
18th January 2015, 12:01 PM
As above

EcosseGP
18th January 2015, 12:10 PM
Like the others have said Donna all you need to do is make sure they get the occasional good firm braking done just to keep the discs clean and squeak free. Shouldn't really need to or spray anything on them.

Eddie_JCW
18th January 2015, 12:42 PM
Mine are a nightmare but I'm guessing the JCW brakes are worse for this than the S, also my commute wouldn't be doing them any favours. An NMS run is a great way of getting them as good as new :thumbs up: :lol:

jonnie
18th January 2015, 03:13 PM
Mine can look rusty overnight.

CiderFex
18th January 2015, 03:18 PM
The M-Tecs on 1499 look proper rusty within 10 minutes of me washing it.

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

donnaj1dlh
18th January 2015, 05:17 PM
Mine are a nightmare but I'm guessing the JCW brakes are worse for this than the S, also my commute wouldn't be doing them any favours. An NMS run is a great way of getting them as good as new :thumbs up: :lol:

Roll on Brechin then!
Daily commute doesn't really do the brakes much favours I must admit. She needs to be driven like she's been stolen more often. Will see if they're a bit quieter tomorrow otherwise I might get the OH to take her out.....

Angib
19th January 2015, 07:52 PM
Just to show that fate can step in, I got to the end of my street this morning and found I had almost no brakes at all, after the car not being used over the weekend (plus pretty much immersed in salt last week). Sure enough, a few firm brakes later everything was fine, except the state of my underwear.

badwolf340
19th January 2015, 08:42 PM
Just to show that fate can step in, I got to the end of my street this morning and found I had almost no brakes at all, after the car not being used over the weekend (plus pretty much immersed in salt last week). Sure enough, a few firm brakes later everything was fine, except the state of my underwear.
This time of year is just a pain ,always try to take the cars out every couple of days to keep the discs cleanish

donnaj1dlh
19th January 2015, 09:11 PM
I don't know if I've managed to clean mine.....sheet ice all the way to work and back again...don't think I saw above 15mph and barely touched the brakes!!

geomac79
24th January 2015, 01:39 PM
I thought it was just me, the brakes on my R60 JCW where that bad I put it into the garage but they found nothing. Only done 500 miles and it was there plus the rusty look is not the best. Is there any way to stop the rusty look?

EcosseGP
24th January 2015, 05:50 PM
You can paint the outer edge of the brake disc .. That adds some protection to the outer edge of the disc and also stops the rusty water dripping down onto your wheels ..

geomac79
17th March 2015, 11:05 PM
Had to take mine back to Mini the grinding noise was getting worse, the have stripped and cleaned the brakes hopefully that will have sorted it

donnaj1dlh
18th March 2015, 12:12 AM
I had my discs and pads replaced under warranty by the dealer a couple of weeks ago.

gauldrymini
18th March 2015, 12:31 PM
...the hubs on our F55 looking a bit rusty...

I blame the council and their damn salt & grit combo :ragin: ... oh and MINI :ragin:

donnaj1dlh
18th March 2015, 12:53 PM
Rusting already!?? Blimey, your F55 can't be very old? I was blaming salt/sand initially too since they started scraping late-October. But mine are looking lovely and shiny again. :thumbs up:

gauldrymini
18th March 2015, 02:06 PM
...its like there is an imprint of numbers / letters on the hub and that's where the rust is, if I took the wheels off and wire brushed them then painted them job would be done but I don't have the necessary equipment...will mention it when it goes in for its routine service.

- - - Updated - - -

...rusting wheel hubs on relatively new cars seems to be a common complaint on a few BMW forums, most dealers claiming it is not a warranty issue and charge to paint the hubs, some blame the owners for using acidic wheel cleaners...

Angib
18th March 2015, 10:31 PM
If you want rusty discs, check out this one replaced from the rear of my Roadster after 30,000 miles and 3 winters:

It had no discernible effect on braking, except at very low speed just after the car was started from cold - I had a couple of moments of not being able to stop at the end of my street until I mashed the brake pedal. Which convinced me that it is the rear brakes that do the cold braking and the front ones work once heated up.

gauldrymini
25th March 2015, 08:44 PM
...Grassicks are to paint our hubs on the F55, should be done mid April.