PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper spare key coded

Hmfc1874
16th January 2015, 09:43 AM
Hi folks, I still have my old Mini Cooper keys, is it possible to get them coded to another mini? It's just incase I buy a mini with only one key, can I use my old keys and get one of them recoded to the new car? How do I do this and does anyone know where I could go to do this? Cost etc.

Many thanks :)

Mon the fish
16th January 2015, 10:04 AM
You would just be cheaper getting a new key direct from BMW for the specific car I'd imagine if you needed it.

I'd steer clear of cars with only one key, a possible sign the car hasn't been fully cared for

CiderFex
16th January 2015, 12:44 PM
I had a new rear view mirror fitted in GP1499 and the lad who fitted it recoded one my keys by locking himself in the car and pressing the buttons on the key is a specific sequence to code it to the new sensor, which is in the rear view mirror.

I forgot to get him to do my spare key though but he just would not show me how he did it, trade secret apparently.
:(

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

Mon the fish
16th January 2015, 01:08 PM
Google it, it's freely out there. Have done it myself

CiderFex
16th January 2015, 03:04 PM
Thanks Gordon, I'll have a look for it.

EcosseGP
17th January 2015, 12:28 AM
You would just be cheaper getting a new key direct from BMW for the specific car I'd imagine if you needed it.

I'd steer clear of cars with only one key, a possible sign the car hasn't been fully cared for

^^ I'm not sure that's the case Gordon. My cars are always cared for thank you ! I have only one key due to previous keepers being not as careful as me doesn't mean to say the car is any less cared for !!
You'd need to get a spare blade cut Hannah for the car and then get it coded to be able to use it with the car. Sometimes cheaper getting a new key and fob :)

EcosseGP
17th January 2015, 01:52 AM
Forgot to say was yours a three button key fob ?

Mon the fish
17th January 2015, 06:47 AM
There's a different procedure between pre- and post- facelifts, but it can be done for each

Mon the fish
17th January 2015, 09:32 AM
^^ I'm not sure that's the case Gordon. My cars are always cared for thank you ! I have only one key due to previous keepers being not as careful as me doesn't mean to say the car is any less cared for !!
You'd need to get a spare blade cut Hannah for the car and then get it coded to be able to use it with the car. Sometimes cheaper getting a new key and fob :)

I'm sure yours are, you wouldn't be on here if you didn't.

But if I was looking at a car I didn't know, I'd want to know what happened to the spare key(s), and why they hadn't been replaced when they were noticed as being lost. I would insist on the seller sorting out a new spare set before concluding the deal.

TBH I'd view a missing spare the same way I'd view Ditchfinder tyres - if this has been skimped on, what else?

Wonder how may R53s still have the 3rd 'wallet' key?

CiderFex
17th January 2015, 11:01 AM
I do.
:cool:
To be honest Gordon 1499 was not looked after at all before I bought it.
Anyone on GPUKOC will have seen the thread where a previous member had looked at it and was told to leave well alone !!
It's strange how some people are meticulous in looking after the keys, paperwork etc. but don't actually look after the actual car.

jonnie
17th January 2015, 01:49 PM
Wonder how may R53s still have the 3rd 'wallet' key?

Still got mine

EcosseGP
17th January 2015, 04:30 PM
I do.
:cool:
To be honest Gordon 1499 was not looked after at all before I bought it.
Anyone on GPUKOC will have seen the thread where a previous member had looked at it and was told to leave well alone !!
It's strange how some people are meticulous in looking after the keys, paperwork etc. but don't actually look after the actual car.

It's just folks perception of things though isn't Pete .. Look at 0793 had been cherished since day one and that was clear from the minute that I saw it ... 0374 on the other hand had been solely neglected but like you I saw the potential and took a chance on it and it's not let me down. The wee buggy has had a few choice swear words thrown at it but overall it's brought a whole load of smiles and laughs ...

CiderFex
17th January 2015, 05:01 PM
.....with many, many more still to come.
😊