PDA

View Full Version : R50/R53 3 Spoke Steering Wheel

Gez
14th January 2015, 02:49 PM
Wondering if anyones got a 3spoke steering wheel lying about. Want a wee change from my 2 spoke yin.

jdl_1967
14th January 2015, 07:03 PM
I changed mine from a 2 to a 3 spoke, much prefer the look of the 3.

Be careful when changing, ensure you unplug the battery half an hour plus before and be gentle with the airbags. I sat mine right outside the car just in case they went off during the swap. Over cautious I'm sure, but I've heard of horrific injuries with the airbag propelling the casing at huge speeds if they go off unattached.

Mon the fish
14th January 2015, 07:42 PM
Mind you'll need an airbag as well - the 2 spoke one is different.

A lot easier to get hold of the wheel than the 3-spoke airbag sadly

Gez
14th January 2015, 07:45 PM
Mind you'll need an airbag as well - the 2 spoke one is different.

A lot easier to get hold of the wheel than the 3-spoke airbag sadly

I know Mon, The wheels seem not too bad but the airbags are a fortune. JDL, Ive changed the indicator stocks before and I was really nervous about touching the airbags haha. All went to plan in the end though.

marky
14th January 2015, 07:46 PM
Am looking for a 3 spoke airbag, have the wheel. But not having any luck so for airbag

Mon the fish
14th January 2015, 07:47 PM
3 spoke wheels do come up for sale, but quite rare to see the airbag with it sadly

jdl_1967
14th January 2015, 10:10 PM
I think it's illegal to post airbags in the UK. Explosives are prohibited articles by the Post Office. Doesn't stop you tracking one down locally though. I was in the same position when I was looking for my 3 spokes, loads of wheels, hardly any airbags and no one willing to send when I did find one. Luckily my wife preferred my 2 spoke to her 3 spoke so we just swapped. I don't know if it might be worth contacting Craig Noble at Knockhill, he prepares race Minis and may have a standard wheel left after race item being installed.

Gez
14th January 2015, 11:12 PM
Ahh good idea!

marky
15th January 2015, 12:09 AM
I think it's illegal to post airbags in the UK. Explosives are prohibited articles by the Post Office. Doesn't stop you tracking one down locally though. I was in the same position when I was looking for my 3 spokes, loads of wheels, hardly any airbags and no one willing to send when I did find one. Luckily my wife preferred my 2 spoke to her 3 spoke so we just swapped. I don't know if it might be worth contacting Craig Noble at Knockhill, he prepares race Minis and may have a standard wheel left after race item being installed.

That's a brilliant idea.