PDA

View Full Version : Piper BP300 on an R50

Gez
13th January 2015, 10:00 PM
Just a little update on ol'Gez! The cars going in for an upgraded camshaft and tune next week and I just wanted to share its progress. I managed to get a great deal from the guys at MiniSpeed on the camshaft and some other bits and bobs that are going to be changed at the same time (Timing chain tensioner and some gaskets).
Im really looking forward to the results. I chose the piper cam over the kent/shrick/catcams namely because of its powerband being mid range. Ive read that the engine in the R50 doesnt really like high end power so ive chosen a mid range cam. This will all be complimented by a custom tune by P-Torque.
It'll be interesting to see how the MINI performs with such an agressive cam and whether it offers the pull that Im looking for (P.S I dont want an S).

Ive been told by the few that actually have tuned up an r50 that it should produce around the same power as an early r53.

Next Plans are to get the head that I have lying around port matched and gas flowed.

badwolf340
13th January 2015, 10:18 PM
Keep us up to date Jamie

EcosseGP
13th January 2015, 10:30 PM
Your probably right about the power difference .. What shys you away from an S over the R50 ?

Craig
13th January 2015, 11:13 PM
He's a young buck and insurance will be expensive Davy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
14th January 2015, 07:22 AM
Have a look at nickbmw's build on MT - he's probably at the front when it comes to getting power out of the N/A engine. Not sure what bhp he's at now.

Just be warned though - it's not cheap getting power from an N/A engine (ITBs etc) and the R53 engine has a lot of upgrades over the R50 to cope with the power - forged internals, oil squirters, plus the stronger gearbox etc.

I admire you for going down this route, just maybe not the most cost effective way to 160ish bhp

Gez
14th January 2015, 10:35 AM
Your probably right about the power difference .. What shys you away from an S over the R50 ?
I wanted a challenge. Ive nearly bought an S both R53 and 56 on occasions but ive really struggled to get rid of my r50...i like it too much.

Gez
14th January 2015, 10:37 AM
Have a look at nickbmw's build on MT - he's probably at the front when it comes to getting power out of the N/A engine. Not sure what bhp he's at now.

Just be warned though - it's not cheap getting power from an N/A engine (ITBs etc) and the R53 engine has a lot of upgrades over the R50 to cope with the power - forged internals, oil squirters, plus the stronger gearbox etc.

I admire you for going down this route, just maybe not the most cost effective way to 160ish bhp
Ive spoke to Nick on a number of occasions. The only thing hes done over mines, is a fidanza flywheel and upgraded injectors. The fidanza might be in the pipeline when i change my clutch.

Gez
14th January 2015, 10:39 AM

Seperate reply Woops! Funnily enough I spoke to Minispeed about ITBs as they did them back in the day. But it looks far too expensive and if I was going that crazy with money a 1320 turbo conversion would be on the cards.

Mon the fish
14th January 2015, 10:41 AM
What sort of power are you aiming for? Getting hold of an R53 bottom end might be a good idea

Gez
14th January 2015, 12:30 PM
Id be happy at around the 160 mark really. Should be running around 150 with the current mods. Never thought of that, might look a bit more into it.

Crombers
14th January 2015, 01:38 PM
my r50...i like it too much.

Music to my ears :thumbs up:

Gismo
14th January 2015, 01:45 PM
As others have said, much kudos for upgrading the R50 engine, be interesting to see the engine reliability if you don't upgrade the con rods etc cause i probably would have done the same thing to my perfect Cooper, just didn't want to take the risk

Mon the fish
14th January 2015, 02:55 PM
What gearbox are you running? A change to the R53 6-speed would be a worthwhile investment for both acceleration and reliability

Gez
14th January 2015, 03:15 PM
Ive got another midland. Going to get the getrag 5 speed next. If finances were 100 % at the time my last midland went, I would have got the 6 speed. However, given the host of other things needed to convert to the sixspeed and the flywheel being heavy i opted for the only option I could afford at the time.

Mon the fish
14th January 2015, 04:04 PM
Ah Ok. Just don't expect the Midlands to last long once you start upping the power!

Gez
14th January 2015, 04:49 PM
I know haha! They arent the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Music to my ears :thumbs up:

R50s all the way crombers!

Gez
22nd January 2015, 12:11 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/ccd610922766fd97e871980a6bbe5b82.jpg

It has finally arrived! Roll on tomorrow!:D

Craig
22nd January 2015, 09:41 AM
Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this Jamie :)

MINI William
22nd January 2015, 09:53 AM
Looking forward to the results

stoney
22nd January 2015, 10:25 AM
Ha looking forward to see how it go's mind pop round when it's done

Gez
22nd January 2015, 11:40 AM
Ill be sure to bring it over stoney

Gez
24th January 2015, 05:48 PM
Wow so impressed with the performance. My dad absolutely loves it. Map needs tweaked to accomodate more rpm at idle. Had Stoney out earlier and I think he liked it :D

stoney
25th January 2015, 08:35 AM
Wow so impressed with the performance. My dad absolutely loves it. Map needs tweaked to accomodate more rpm at idle. Had Stoney out earlier and I think he liked it :D

It's a very quick cooper wee bit of a sleeper.
Just stay safe young yin you remind me of me at your age lol no fear!!

badwolf340
25th January 2015, 10:17 AM
It's a very quick cooper wee bit of a sleeper.
Just stay safe young yin you remind me of me at your age lol no fear!!
Sound advice from Uncle Rob :thumbs up:

john
25th January 2015, 12:46 PM
R50 is a fantastic car on the twisty roads no wonder you want to hang on to it.

Gez
25th January 2015, 01:22 PM
Its a fantastic car. The cam just adds the extra torque I was looking for and helps the car pull out of corners alot harder.

Gez
26th January 2015, 10:36 PM
https://vimeo.com/117847842

With the cam

Craig
27th January 2015, 12:40 AM
Smashing :)

Crombers
27th January 2015, 04:33 PM
Awesome, well done young sir :thumbs up:

- - - Updated - - -

Like John Barrie would know ........... :clap:

You would have thought he'd done some serious racing in his time to hear this kinda patter :thumbs up:

john
27th January 2015, 10:22 PM
Awesome, well done young sir :thumbs up:

- - - Updated - - -

Like John Barrie would know ........... :clap:

You would have thought he'd done some serious racing in his time to hear this kinda patter :thumbs up:
We need another Cullen run :thumbs up:

Crombers
28th January 2015, 07:34 PM
We need another Cullen run :thumbs up:

A legendary part of the history of NMSland :thumbs up:

Think 'old silver' may struggle to recapture the pace of 2005 & god knows how I've managed to preserve that Midland box :phew::scratch::whoohoo:

john
28th January 2015, 11:27 PM
A legendary part of the history of NMSland :thumbs up:

Think 'old silver' may struggle to recapture the pace of 2005 & god knows how I've managed to preserve that Midland box :phew::scratch::whoohoo:

driving like a fanny I think :hand:

Gez
28th January 2015, 11:28 PM
You coming to cars and coffee crombers. Get some R50 talk on the go!

Crombers
29th January 2015, 08:25 AM
driving like a fanny I think :hand:

I think you'll find a BIG fanny actually :thumbs up:

- - - Updated - - -

You coming to cars and coffee crombers. Get some R50 talk on the go!

Unfortunately I'm working nightshift Saturday night & there's a wee game of footy I'd quite like to see on Sunday.

The Champions v Sports Direct FC I do believe :soccer:

Gez
29th January 2015, 09:00 AM
Al sports direct fc you haha! Lost all interest with all the problems that have been going on behind the scenes lately. See you soon anyways!

ELFMAN
29th January 2015, 11:43 PM
you remind me of me at your age lol no fear!!

:hand: Oh dear, that sounds ominous...
Nice work tho Jamie! Something a wee bit different. Good old fashioned tuning :thumbs up: and it sounds great too :smilewinkgrin:

Gez
29th January 2015, 11:43 PM
Ill need to come down and take you out a spin euan!

Crombers
30th January 2015, 07:53 AM
Al sports direct fc you haha! Lost all interest with all the problems that have been going on behind the scenes lately. See you soon anyways!

Acht not another one that's lost interest. Your obviously better off creating this wee beastly R50 rather than following the footy :soccer: :hand:

Gez
9th February 2015, 07:12 PM
Datalogged the Car today to help Will sort the Idle. Only ran to 5000 on this run. Big thanks to Chris at Dynatune for all his help! https://vimeo.com/119136537

ELFMAN
9th February 2015, 08:35 PM
Good stuff Jamie :thumbs up: What's next on the agenda?
Must take you out in mine for a wee hurl now it's been resurrected... :smilewinkgrin: Mind I'm old, scared and slow now tho! :hand: :stop:

Gez
9th February 2015, 08:37 PM
Good stuff Jamie :thumbs up: What's next on the agenda?
Must take you out in mine for a wee hurl now it's been resurrected...
Ported and polished head and a bigger throttle body :D Definitely! That would be great!

ELFMAN
10th February 2015, 01:39 AM
Ported and polished head and a bigger throttle body :D Definitely! That would be great!

Nice one. let me know when you're coming down to your gran's and I'll get that Turbo spinning :thumbs up:
Polished Head? I used to have that on my 1275 classic Mini, now it's what I get at the barber's! :frown:

Gez
10th February 2015, 10:36 AM
Haha! Hoping it will help with volumetric efficiency as I need more air!

ELFMAN
11th February 2015, 05:58 PM
Haha! Hoping it will help with volumetric efficiency as I need more air!

That's cos you're too tall, the air's thinner up there - at my height the air charge is denser, so I get more power. It's Nature's Intercooler!:smilewinkgrin:

Gez
11th February 2015, 05:59 PM
That's cos you're too tall, the air's thinner up there - at my height the air charge is denser, so I get more power. It's Nature's Intercooler!:smilewinkgrin:
Haha! What you no like!

ELFMAN
11th February 2015, 11:57 PM
Well, I tried reality for a while, but found it to be grossly overrrated, so from now on it's :crazypilot:
Will stay tuned for your next report. Carry on young man! :thumbs up: