PDA

View Full Version : First warranty trip :(

donnaj1dlh
6th January 2015, 09:15 PM
Finally got round to booking my F56 into the dealer for some investigative work for rear knocking :(

It's pretty much done it since new but I never seemed to get round to doing anything about it! But I've discounted the fake boot floor...it knocks when up and down, taken out the tyre pump etc and it's still the same. Only when we had a big case in the back did it stop, hence why I think it may be the suspension but knocks can be elusive! It does soundthe same as when my RCZ had faulty front suspension mounts.

The car's booked in on Monday for a couple of days so I really hope they find the problem ......and it's covered by warranty!!!

Craig
6th January 2015, 09:21 PM
Fingers crossed Donna its an easy fix :)

badwolf340
7th January 2015, 08:46 PM
hope everything goes well,noises/knocks are a pain

EcosseGP
7th January 2015, 09:04 PM
like Brian says constant knocks and squeaks drive you mental to the point that's all you listen for so good luck a and fingers crossed it's all sorted on Monday. :)

donnaj1dlh
12th January 2015, 10:19 AM
Well I've just dropped the MINI off at the dealer and here's the thing ...... the loan MINI Cooper with only 500 miles on the clock does it too! Albeit not quite so bad/noisy as mine but then that would be expected since I have the Cooper S (bigger wheels/ different suspension).
This better not be 'a thing' ...it's just not acceptable for a £25K (BMW) product to do that....I can't put up with that for another 3 years. It's going to be an anxious couple of days :(

Craig
12th January 2015, 10:36 AM
I hope not Donna. I went through the same thing with MINI for the death rattle as it was known on the R56S. After 2 different cars in 11 months (along with many other faults admittedly) I gave up and sold it at a loss. I've never had another R56S and Prob never will. It took MINI years to admit the fault and finally issue a fix to dealers.... Fingers crossed for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donnaj1dlh
12th January 2015, 10:38 AM
eeeekk! That fills me with confidence ...nawt!

Maybe I'll have to get myself a pair of ear muffs in matching orange.........

Mon the fish
12th January 2015, 10:58 AM
Anything on NAM or suchlike about this? Our Yank cousins seem better at getting BMW to admit to faults, and to rectify them

donnaj1dlh
12th January 2015, 11:11 AM
Where do I start looking for that? When I searched for 'rear knock on a MINI' all I could find was R56s anti-roll bar bushes etc.....

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-generation-faults-fixes/177418-rear-banging-knocking-sound-3.html

Pretty much sounds exactly like my issue..... all though it's not an F56.....

Mon the fish
12th January 2015, 12:15 PM
www.northamericanmotoring.com

donnaj1dlh
12th January 2015, 12:56 PM
I'll have a nosey at lunchtime, thanks!

mikeswagon
12th January 2015, 02:18 PM
Fingers crossed they find something Donna, I can honestly day I've not had any funny noises from the back so hopefully it's not 'something they do'.

donnaj1dlh
12th January 2015, 02:54 PM
Very fruity exhaust from the 1.5 Cooper loaner Mike! Not as raspy as the S. Nice all the same.

mikeswagon
12th January 2015, 04:56 PM
Very fruity exhaust from the 1.5 Cooper loaner Mike! Not as raspy as the S. Nice all the same.

It's all good.... is the loaner VO, or some substandard colour?

donnaj1dlh
12th January 2015, 05:16 PM
Pepper white .... pepper white everywhere!!! But at least it doesn't say JC all over it. I'm going to regret having it tomorrow if the Weather warning for snow is right ...when mine is all snuggled up in a dealer with it's wintergrips!!! Maybe a landy day if it's like that!
No word from JC yet, hopefully I'll hear something positive tomorrow.

donnaj1dlh
12th January 2015, 08:26 PM
Just heard from the dealer.....surprise surprise they can't replicate the problem.....is their technician deaf???

By all accounts they've done what I've already done.....tyre pressures, torqued wheel nuts (and a few suspension nuts) and can't find anything amiss. They've sent BMW a PUMA (?) report and waiting to hear back tomorrow. I'm not at all hopeful. But I looked at that website that you suggested Mon and there are people in the states that have replaced the anti roll bar rubbers on the back.

See what tomorrow says, I'm going to look a right idiot. But can I live with that noise now that I'm constantly aware of it? It's embarassing, a new car should do that. Even my OH says it's nae right :(

I'm tempted to suggest I take out technician to highlight the issue. It's times like this I hate being a woman.......

badwolf340
12th January 2015, 08:52 PM
PUMA reports do work,they can then see if there is a bigger problem that an individual dealer can't solve,one other thing to do is go out with the Tec in the car and let him or her hear your particular noise and show them when it happens.

donnaj1dlh
13th January 2015, 09:33 AM
I'll suggest that Badwolf. Other thing the OH has suggested is to ask to take the demo MCS out so that the tech/me can compare the two - that way we can see if it's 'a thing they do'......

I bet they hate folk like me!

mikeswagon
13th January 2015, 09:44 AM
That sounds like a good idea from your other half. You're welcome to take mine out for a spin for comparison if that would help.

You might be old enough to remember the vw ad, you don't wear noisy earrings by any chance?

Joking aside, good luck with this, hope you got in ok today, we had a covering of the white stuff but not too slippy.

donnaj1dlh
13th January 2015, 10:06 AM
That's it Mike!!! All my diamonds clanking away.... pfffft if only!!

No snow round Udny way today, a bit slippy though.

Many thanks for the offer...... but you really dinna want me to rag your pride and joy! Seriously though, what we need ideally is an MCS with 17" wheels, so it can be a direct comparison. Your coop has 16s hasn't it? Is the suspension in the Coop the same as the S? Is it softer? I know a decent amount for a laydee but that's a wee bit beyond me. I even saw a video on youtube this morning showing the replacement of the bushes on the same wheel on a MINI....jeez I could do even do it!!! For the sake of a coupe of quids worth of parts I would have thought the dealer might have just changed the bush anyway, it's not even a half hour job to them.

Steve said he could easily take the seats out, check the suspension etc but it's not his job when the cars under warranty. I see his point. I'm new to this marque so I don't know what sounds are normal or not. I don't know anyone with a MCS so I can ask....and there's not much out there on the interweb about F56 problems yet. BMW might not have had a similar issue so compare against but there's always a first. If more problems come in reporting the same would they come back to me and suggest a fix in months to come? I doubt it......

mikeswagon
13th January 2015, 02:23 PM
Any updates?

I was up in Cove for the dentist, so did a quick fly-by, but no sign of your car. Plenty MCS up there, so they should be able to get you out in one of them hopefully.

Aye I've got 16s, 15s for winter, I believe the suspension might be softer, and I added variable damping so not a direct comparison.

donnaj1dlh
13th January 2015, 02:35 PM
No word yet.....this makes me hopeful. Either BMW have given them something to check out or they've been out again and found the problem. If BMW came up with nothing and they can't find anything surely they would have let me know? Perhaps I'm just getting my hopes up! Perhaps my MINI was in the workshop, up on ramps!!!
If I don't hear anything by 1630 I'll be off home and I winna be coming back into town to collect it, it'll wait until tomorrow.
I'll let you know if I hear anything before that, I'm getting anxious now.......

donnaj1dlh
14th January 2015, 12:35 PM
Update...... got the car back last night. Nothing repaired yet.

Dealer has been advised by BMW to get "a tool" to access something about the "suspension". Now I don't know if the service guy that phoned me didn't know what he was speaking about or assumed I wouldn't since I was a woman, so that's all the details I have. The dealer obviously haven't done anything of this sort to an F56 before if only now they have to get a bit in.

I'm pleased BMW have given them something to investigate though. Just have to book the car in again once the part arrives for them to do the job.

The service guy agrees that it's a good idea to take the tech out myself (I know exactly the road it clatters on ....Market street up past the Harbour) and it might also be an idea to take the demonstrator out so we can compare.

mikeswagon
14th January 2015, 02:36 PM
Curious.... would have thought there'd be plenty tools up there.:thumbs up:

Did you not manage to swing a deal on the GP2 then?

donnaj1dlh
10th February 2015, 09:07 AM
Righty ho .... car's booked in for Monday since the chassis ears have arrived. So hacked off with other niggles that I've rattled off the full bifta for them to get sorted....

1. Suspension - still suspect this won't be found, let alone repaired.
2. Wet window seals - leaving the windows smeared and the dry to a fog and a 'dicht' with a demisting chamois pad makes it worse
3. Scraping brakes - I suspect I'll have to pay for the cleaning of these
4 (The straw that broke the camels back) the paint completely worn off the quarter panel due to the seal on the door. Down to the undercoat. The passenger door is scuffed, heading the same way but considering it's only opened/closed about 4 times a week rather than the driver's four times a day it'll be a while before it's right through. I can't imagine a fix other than a respray and check the door's hanging right but it'll just keep happening.
5. Missing bolts holding on the rear bumper - I wonder if they've had it off the other week
6. Missing bolts/washers holding on the exhaust heat shield on the passenger side. It's potentially hitting the suspension so I wonder IF that could be my knock and the noise is just travelling.

5607 5606

Mon the fish
10th February 2015, 09:56 AM
If it's going to JCs bodyshop expect to go back a further nine times. We had a similar issue on the Clubby's back doors and they never fully fixed it - paint runs, still rubbing etc

donnaj1dlh
10th February 2015, 10:02 AM
Oh jeez...cheers for the vote of confidence :(

Mon the fish
10th February 2015, 05:55 PM
I don't like to be the bringer of bad news but I detest the place and I will never spend any £££ there again. Top management didn't care about the problems either, their workmanship and attitude stinks. Have heard of other people having similar problems also.

We actually had to sell the car as they couldn't fix it to a decent standard. Going to the bodyshop every 3 weeks was getting tiring

donnaj1dlh
10th February 2015, 06:17 PM
So who do you use locally for repairs/servicing? I've got TLC for 3 years so guess that's me tied in for servicing at least. I know 3 out of 4 is warranty and I thought fook it get the brakes seen too as well. If I had a choice (recommendation) I would go elsewhere.

Mon the fish
11th February 2015, 08:24 AM
I don't buy new cars as I don't like depreciation, so warranty isn't something that concerns me. The BMWs we have go to AW Autotech for their yearly service, with a local garage in the village doing intermediate oil changes.

The Mini goes to a friend's garage in Peterhead, which is a bit of a faff and I don't put any of the other cars there regularly due to the distance, but I can leave the Mini there for a fortnight and cycle back so it's not a huge issue.

Obviously with TLC/warranty you can't do what I do; but if I was in your shoes I'd book a service at a central belt dealer for a Saturday and enjoy a weekend away - anything to avoid JCs

donnaj1dlh
11th February 2015, 10:18 AM
We'll see how JC performs *fingers crossed* they'll give me no issues - however if they think all my issues will be fixed (like I expect them to be) in two working days then they're sadly mistaken. Paint shop alone will take that. I'll have a loaner and I won't be fobbed off with 'booking it back in' ... I'll keep the loaner until mine's ready! I'm not continually running back and forth from Ellon at their convenience.

gauldrymini
11th February 2015, 11:03 AM
...Little bit of a road trip for you but Grassicks (Perth) maybe worth a shot if you are having no joy with JC, they fixed our Roadster roof whereas JC Dundee couldn't

Mon the fish
11th February 2015, 11:39 AM
Regards the loan car they give you - insist on one with winter tyres. They didn't like it when we did, but we pointed out BMW advise you fit them as we had, therefore you're supplying us with a car not optimal for the conditions.

It got us one of the salesman's Cooper S instead of the Polo

donnaj1dlh
11th February 2015, 01:54 PM
Interesting points. I'll give JC a go, sure they'll be top notch *fingers crossed* ...if no I might just try Grassicks. Helluva trek like! But if it gets a successful fix then it's worth it!

donnaj1dlh
17th February 2015, 04:28 PM
YA BLOODY DANCER!!!! :D :D :D

Update from the garage ...... rear shocks are being replaced as they're both leaking ...... front discs and pads are being replaced (under warranty wooooooop!!!) after they were all stripped and cleaned, turns out the discs were badly pitted on one side....... hopefully both these seen too this week but the shocks are coming from Germany. I've just to hold on to the loan car until mine is ready for collection.
The garage is waiting to hear how to resolve the wet window/door frame rub ...... service manager thinks they problems are related and the door seals/weather strips (?) will both need to be replaced on both sides. Obviously paint work can't be repaired until a fix has been done but at least it's in hand too.

All in all, a bloody good day, I'm looking forward to getting the MINI back .... AND ENJOYING IT!!!

EcosseGP
17th February 2015, 05:57 PM
See that's what happens sometimes ... After everyone slagging off dealers they come good ! Excellent news ;)

stoney
17th February 2015, 06:08 PM
Always best to take things with your own experience I find

Mon the fish
17th February 2015, 07:10 PM
See that's what happens sometimes ... After everyone slagging off dealers they come good ! Excellent news ;)
They've not tried to paint it yet...

donnaj1dlh
5th March 2015, 10:43 AM
Shocks being fitted on Wednesday! :thumbs up::thumbs up:
Still no response from BMW about the weatherstrips/doorseal/paint rub but at least JC are keeping me up to date with developments. My service manager has been checking all the other F56s within the showroom and ones coming into the service dept and he says he can't see any others with the same. I wonder if none of these have A...the same kinda mileage and B... the knackered shocks. Is it possible that the two could be related? Could the faulty shocks cause a vibration that wouldn't otherwise be there? Just a thought......

I've found a lady with EXACT same problems as me that bought her car from Douglas Park in Glasgow .... she has the rear suspension knock problems and the paint rub in the same place, so I'm going to see if JC will contact Douglas Park and discuss. Interesting that hers is also Volcanic Orange. Is solid paint slightly softer than metallic? I reckon it possibly is?

According to JC, BMW are unaware of any of these problems. Well I dinna work for BMW and I'm finding plenty!!

EcosseGP
5th March 2015, 11:00 PM
^^ I was going to say Donna there are plenty more with exactly the same issues as you both suspension and paint issues. They aren't on here but can be found on the MINI Owners Group. I'm sure there was a list of folk with the same issues as you ....

donnaj1dlh
6th March 2015, 09:09 AM
Yep, I'm on a couple of forums now ....that American one and minif56.com and there are lots of us. BMW can't really keep feeding the "no other cases" line to their customers in the age of social media :) I kinda befriended a guy (nae like that!!) based in the states....an MINI tech who also owns an F56, he's been really useful, especially when I was trying to find the issue ourselves.

I know things will get sorted out, just need to be patient. Thankfully its not in my nature to go in all guns firing, mechs need to be treated gently!

- - - Updated - - -

....you guys are invaluable too, obviously! Steve just tells me to stay off the forums 'cos it upsets me! You should have seen my reaction to the numerous guys having new gearboxes and engines in their F56 Ss........ better nae happen to mine!

EcosseGP
6th March 2015, 07:51 PM
Nothing wrong with doing your homework Donna and having the ammunition to fire if and when needed. Better to have too much info than not enough. Hang in there I can imagine how frustrating it must be having issues with a new car ...

donnaj1dlh
11th March 2015, 12:48 PM
Aw man .... I feel like I'm driving a brand new car! Those original shocks must have been proper knackered! Took me all I had to actually drive to work this morning and not take to the hills!!!

:yes: :yes: :yes:

also .... mentioned this on the FB page but the Service Manager said he still had no response from BMW about the paintwork but to quote him he reckoned "they're all the same" "they need to redesign and recall" and "BMW are heading for problems" regarding the door seals. Now you all know I'm a patient kinda quine and I know the dealer doesn't want to 'just' respray, it's totally understandable......anyhoo..... had a wee chat with my sales mannie while I was waiting for the car to come out of the workshop and mentioned that it's one problem down, one left to go. I told him about the paint and explained on the car in the showroom (now bear in mind that this car will only have 1/2 miles on the clock) but even it has evident wee scratches of a problem about to start. I noticed the MCS demonstrator for sale in the forecourt (Mar 14 registered, 9000miles on the clock, also VO) .... the salesman grabbed the keys and .....WOOOOOOAH!!!! It's REALLY badly rubbed, even the passenger side is rubbed through. He looked honestly shocked (and I felt a bit smug) .... so all the salesmen etc are running about with F56 keys checking the forecourt cars (and their own) and all cars have this to varying degrees.

BMW need to full their fingers out their proverbials and own up to the design fault, redesign and issue a recall...... every F56 is at risk.

Mon the fish
11th March 2015, 12:57 PM
Reminds me of power steering pump issues, timing chain issues... BMW are shocking at admitting warranty issues or doing recalls, in this country at least

Craig
11th March 2015, 01:19 PM
^^^^THIS^^^^. As someone who lost thousands in the process of said issues, it saddens me they are still getting away with it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
11th March 2015, 01:27 PM
Door alignment is pretty basic as well, how hard can that be to design properly!?

donnaj1dlh
11th March 2015, 01:30 PM
I think the door alignment is ok (otherwise it would only be evident in a couple of cars) but this is them ALL ... that door seal is like sandpaper.
The F55 is ok since it doesn't have the same seals.

gauldrymini
11th March 2015, 02:01 PM
Donna, our Roadster had a similar issue with its boot that seemed to rub/scratch the rear bumper. Did check our F55 on Sunday and it seemed OK but will keep an eye on this :phew: