PDA

View Full Version : Racing License

Steve74
8th September 2004, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know how I can get my racing license - would Knockhill be able to provide this?

Smurf
8th September 2004, 08:27 PM
All motorsports licences are provided by the MSA the Motor Sports Association.

They will be able to give you an application form - there's probably a downloadable one on their web site.

For a race licence, I think you need to pass a racing course, called the ARDS course. Again the MSA will be able to tell you if Knockhill run these courses, or call Knockhill direct.

Also - you may need to start on what they call a 'B' licence, and collect signatures of officials at race meetings to work your way up to an 'A' licence. This may have a bearing on what kind of car you will be allowed to race, again check with the MSA.

Hope this helps!

Duncan Stewart
8th September 2004, 08:50 PM
You serious about doin the Cooper challenge next year then Steve? It would be great to have a NMS member driving for us all to cheer on :D

Steve74
8th September 2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks Smurf - checked out the Knockhill site and they have all the contacts, will get that application form back and do the Knockhill tests.

Duncan - I have been seriously thinking about doing the Cooper Challenge next year, it expensive though - should cost £19k for the first year then £10k realistically thereafter which is a lot. I've got one sponsor so far and am working on the next. I'm going to have a few days racing beforehand to see if I'm any good but imagine how much of a laugh it would be to bring the road legal car on a NMS run! I wonder if a mini can tow another mini to the race track :D

Figas
11th September 2004, 08:16 PM
Steve,

I was heavily involved in the Scottish series last year even competed in a couple of the events: Fintry Hill Climb and Mount Stuart (co driver for Russ Swift;))

The series suffered a drop in numbers this year because the likes of Ecurie Ecosse, McKeever, Klos, etc. decided not to compete. However they have a new event sponsor for 2005 (autotrader) and should be back with a bang. I dont know if there are any of last years cars still for sale but you could find one which will reduce your first years costs considerably.

If you want advice on the Scottish JCC Autotrader 2005 challenge then you need to speak to the SMRC. best bet is to contact Vic Covey snr (his sons Vic jnr is racing in the series this year). He is going to be coordinating next years series and should give you an idea of entry costs for events, proposed rule changes etc.

As for the race licence, you send away to the MSA for a starter pack (circa £50), get a race medical (circa £80), do the ARDS course at knockhill (circa £199) and then pay a further (£42.50) to get your race licence. Nae cheap but you got to do it. Ask if you can get Shedds to do your ARDS course as he can give you some pretty good advice about Knockhill (where you will be on a regular basis) and he has coached the likes of Steve Mitchell through the series.

Anyway, I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing you sometime soon.

Figas

Steve74
12th September 2004, 06:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Figas

Steve,

I was heavily involved in the Scottish series last year even competed in a couple of the events: Fintry Hill Climb and Mount Stuart (co driver for Russ Swift;))

The series suffered a drop in numbers this year because the likes of Ecurie Ecosse, McKeever, Klos, etc. decided not to compete. However they have a new event sponsor for 2005 (autotrader) and should be back with a bang. I dont know if there are any of last years cars still for sale but you could find one which will reduce your first years costs considerably.

If you want advice on the Scottish JCC Autotrader 2005 challenge then you need to speak to the SMRC. best bet is to contact Vic Covey snr (his sons Vic jnr is racing in the series this year). He is going to be coordinating next years series and should give you an idea of entry costs for events, proposed rule changes etc.

As for the race licence, you send away to the MSA for a starter pack (circa £50), get a race medical (circa £80), do the ARDS course at knockhill (circa £199) and then pay a further (£42.50) to get your race licence. Nae cheap but you got to do it. Ask if you can get Shedds to do your ARDS course as he can give you some pretty good advice about Knockhill (where you will be on a regular basis) and he has coached the likes of Steve Mitchell through the series.

Anyway, I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing you sometime soon.

Figas

Thanks Figas. I've been speaking with Glen Christian about potentially buying his Cooper but i'm not sure if i should go for a new Cooper S. It would make more sense I think to start low and work my way up though. He's offering his car and various bits for £13.5k which isn't bad. I had a look at the racing license pack and will probably order it next week. Thanks for all the info and contacts as it's been very helpful and I'll let you know how I get on.