PDA

View Full Version : New 5 door Cooper?

korky
12th December 2014, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking of changing my Cooper (3rd one I've had!) and am wondering about the new 5 door. My son is starting to complain about climbing in and out of the back seat now he's nearly a teenager and I need helped out if I end up in the back! Anyone have one or tried one?

Cheers.

Mon the fish
12th December 2014, 11:41 AM
The only person on here with one is gauldrymini - see his project thread here http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?25679-gauldrymini-s-F55-Pepper-White-Cooper

EcosseGP
12th December 2014, 11:51 AM
I don't mean to sound harsh but personally I don't think you'd be any better off depending on your sons size. I attempted to get in the back of one at the launch and struggled. It was actually easier to get in and out of the 3 door. If you're looking for more space or ease getting in and out then IMO I think you need to move up the range. I've travelled in Craigs Countryman a couple of times and it's surprising how comfy and how much space you get in the rear. The new Clubby would be the one I looked at first though ..
Sorry maybe not much help but I don't think you'd be any better off with the 5 door over the 3 (and the finish on the rear doors IMO is very poor) ..

MINI William
12th December 2014, 12:08 PM
Go and have a visit to our sponsor Harry Fairbairn in Kirckaldy and have a seat in both the new 5Door and the Countryman and see how you get on. They will be more than happy to help out and try and find the right car for you.

gauldrymini
12th December 2014, 01:04 PM
Don't listen to Davy MiniiGP :moonie:

We have a 5 Door Cooper and so far so good, our 11 year old gets in the rear seats fine (although he does have four legs and a tail :laugh:)

Seriously have a look at both the Countryman (also had one of these) and the 5 Door, see which suits your needs best but the 5 door is a better drive :smilewinkgrin:

korky
12th December 2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks for that: the Countryman is not for me at all (no offence to those who have and love it). Too big and the design is not to my taste. Just not sure yet if the new 5 door is too much of a Maxi for me as well! My Dad had a series of Maxis in various shades of 1970's beige with horrendous vinyl seats when I was a kid. Enough to leave mental scars! I'll take a good look at the range at the weekend.

The supplier
16th December 2014, 09:39 PM
I'm driving a 5 door Cooper SD. Stacks of room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

weefossy
16th December 2014, 10:06 PM
Oh, I loved my Maxi......first true "hatchback"!

EcosseGP
17th December 2014, 07:25 PM
Don't listen to Davy MiniiGP :moonie:

We have a 5 Door Cooper and so far so good, our 11 year old gets in the rear seats fine (although he does have four legs and a tail :laugh:)

Seriously have a look at both the Countryman (also had one of these) and the 5 Door, see which suits your needs best but the 5 door is a better drive :smilewinkgrin:

Sorry was just sharing my opinion when I tried it out ...

gauldrymini
17th December 2014, 07:58 PM
All in jest, fella, opinions it's what makes the forum so good :yes nod:

....still a variant hater though:stirpot:

korky
9th January 2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all your opinions: I had a look at the 5 door hatch and the only things I didn't like was the odd rubbery door surrounds and the distracting big bright central panel thing that all the new ones have. Fortunately I'm usually stingy with the extras so I can lose the second gripe by being cheap! We're all on the vertically-challenged side, so easy to get in and out of the back. As for the Countryman...just had one on loan for a couple of days and did not like. Not one bit. What's with the weird hand-brake?

Each to their own and I'd really rather stick with a three door, but pressure has been applied from the rest of the family for a 5!

weefossy, what colour was you maxi? Sand? Beige? Gold? My enduring memory is the scalding heat of those vinyl seats when it had been parked in the sun! Mind you, that was probably the balmy summer of '76...