PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : coilovers for r53

davidmacdonald306
26th November 2014, 07:04 PM
I'm in the market for some coilovers and thought I'd ask if anyone has some good quality ones going before I fork out for new ones.

EcosseGP
26th November 2014, 07:19 PM
Sorry can't help you with this one .. sure you want coil overs ?

davidmacdonald306
26th November 2014, 09:12 PM
Yeah I Wanted some before but after having a passenger ride round knockhill in a Cooper cup series race car with Ollie Mortimer I'm now wanting some before I do the power mods. Incredible what the mini is capable of with sorted suspension! Unfortunately I don't have the budget to fork out 1k + for bilsteins or the like but thinking bout either br series or d2 clubsports.

davidmacdonald306
26th November 2014, 09:15 PM
When you ask if I'm sure if I want coilovers, is that because you have or recommend a different setup?

EcosseGP
26th November 2014, 10:48 PM
Yeah it is David everyone that I've spoken to about them has over time seemed to regret putting them on the car. I've only used them once (not on a MINI) and had them taken off after two weeks due to the roughness and the clatter and banging. Whilst I appreciate times have moved on speaking to a few people the issues seem to still be about .. Depending on what your plans were with the car might it be worth considering lowering springs over coil overs ?

CiderFex
26th November 2014, 11:04 PM
After a lot of research and a good many chats about coilovers the only ones that I have never heard anyone regret fitting are KW Clubsports.
They are the thick end of £2K though but are still the number 1 item on my mod list.
I do have the money to buy them tomorrow but I need to think long and hard if they really are the best option for me.

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

Mon the fish
27th November 2014, 07:21 AM
Springs will give you more bother than coils, as you knacker the OEM dampers quickly.

For your budget you should be able to get Meister's, BC's, maybe even KW V1's. Have a try of each, see what you like.

Try good coils and you'll never go back to OEM, also you don't have to have them so low your sump is skimming the tarmac

badwolf340
27th November 2014, 07:41 AM
What ever you do ,do not go with pillow ball mounts ,they are noisy ,may be acceptable on track but not on the road.if they are not noisy .....they will be .I went with BC coilovers and would not do it again ,the roads locally just make it a nightmare ,they are ok on motorways ,great for looks at shows ,but make up your mind why you want them

CiderFex
27th November 2014, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear this Brian, you were so excited when you bought them.

From what I've found from loads of research is that the Meisters and BC's are basically the same bit of kit.

Craig
27th November 2014, 09:10 AM
It's one of the things stopping me getting coilovers as I've not got the money for the expensive ones and the cheaper end of the market seem to crash and bang.... Hmmmm. More food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
27th November 2014, 09:31 AM
I'm happy with the bang per £ ratio of the Meister's, more than happy to let someone have a go of mine to see if they like it.

The thing with coils is that you have to do the whole package IMO - RCAs, droplinks, camber plates (if not fitted) so you can get a setup that suits you and your driving. Coils fitted without a proper setup is a waste of £££

moktabe
27th November 2014, 10:40 AM
As Gordon says.... do it properly or don't do it.

I had V1s on for 2 years and they were fine but, had adj top mounts, adj RCAs, adj drop links so the set up could be done properly.

Changed to ClubSports as with the car progressing as it has, I felt the V1s were too soft.

I think that anyone who thinks std suspension is better has either never tried a properly set up car or has bought a cheap set expecting miracles which isn't going to happen.

It may sound a bit brutal but, anyone modifying a car can't really expect much from cheap parts....especially anything integral enough to affect the whole car.....and, before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying 5 or 6 hundred quid is cheap!....just that you don't get a great deal for it suspension wise :-)

moktabe
27th November 2014, 01:13 PM
After a lot of research and a good many chats about coilovers the only ones that I have never heard anyone regret fitting are KW Clubsports.
They are the thick end of £2K though but are still the number 1 item on my mod list.
I do have the money to buy them tomorrow but I need to think long and hard if they really are the best option for me.

Change of plans Pete? :-)

CiderFex
27th November 2014, 01:34 PM
The plans haven't altered Brian it's just that now I have the money to do it I'm getting very hesitant to have them done.

I nearly broke my own rule of not having too many mods fitted at once.
I had lined up the Clubsports, cam, 550's, map, two new seats and new wheels but that is too much to have done at once as I wouldn't really enjoy the smaller differences having each mod fitted individually over time.

Hence I've blocked my own progress by buying the new camera. Without the money in the bank I can't be tempted to go overboard with the mods.

.....all good things comes to those who wait.

I have no qualms about spending anything up to £500 on mods in the blink of an eye, when the bean tin allows, but £2K is a huge wedge to part with in one go.

I'll be fine in a few weeks or so and I'll eventually get the Clubsports fitted.
Probably in Feb when I go to 1320 for the service.
:)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

moktabe
27th November 2014, 01:59 PM
It is a lot of money to spend, without a doubt.

Depends on how far people wish to take their car I suppose. Looks can be relatively cheap but you also get the downsides, crashing, banging and lack of adjustability...performance costs unfortunately :-)

Offer of a drive in 1511 is, and always will be, still there.

Also agree with having things done in stages, it helps appreciate the difference each bit makes.

CiderFex
27th November 2014, 02:01 PM
I know that Clubsports are the only way forward for me.
I will get them, I just need to chill out for a bit before I get them ordered.

I'm gonna settle into the new pad, eventually, and treat 1499 in the New Year.
:)

Mon the fish
27th November 2014, 05:25 PM
Meister's for sale, with RCAs:

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f229/meister-r-coilovers-r53-r56-vwery-low-miles-64738/

davidmacdonald306
27th November 2014, 07:08 PM
Thank you mon the fish, have messaged the guy so fingers crossed!

davidmacdonald306
27th November 2014, 07:09 PM
Where bouts are you based Mon the fish?

Mon the fish
27th November 2014, 09:32 PM
Alford, West of Aberdeen