PDA

View Full Version : DAB radio upgrade

Rob Gavin
26th November 2014, 03:38 PM
ok, been doing a bit of searching on this but nothing clear. The one thing that the cooper doesn't have is the DAB radio and I would like to fit it.

Mini are offering a retro fit deal for £199 but its a bolt on with a separate control and I'd prefer to have the factory install. Putting costs aside, does anyone know if the factory system can be retro fitted? Any info greatly appreciated

cheers

Rob

Angib
26th November 2014, 05:13 PM
Presumably you are talking about a second generation Mini, as I believe DAB is standard on the F56.

The DAB tuner is actually a separate box (below) so needs the relevant bits of wiring harness to connect to it, which won't have been fitted to a non-DAB car - Mini wiring harnesses are custom to the spec of each car. So while it might be theoretically possible to retrofit the factory DAB system, I bet it is not possible in practice, even if "putting costs aside" really meant "several hundred extra pounds would be no problem".

Rob Gavin
26th November 2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks, yes its an R56 model; noted on your comments. I'm surprised that the wiring in the car would be custom to each spec of car; granted additional harness wires depending on the additional modules/ spec - you live and learn. This all said, my knowledge is with VAG stuff and I've never touched one of these before

EcosseGP
26th November 2014, 05:56 PM
^^ as above. I would assume that if it wasn't spec's at the time of building then the respective wiring harness won't be present. However sometimes the wiring look is standard for cars and the box might only need a particular harness added to facilitate putting in the DAB box .. Don't know if it'll be obvious but think it's in the offside rear so might be worth looking to see if there's a wiring plug that could be used ...

Rob Gavin
26th November 2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks, i know from working on the audi that certain options require additional wiring harness to go with the basic loom so hoped it would be the same here. Will do a bit of research and let you all know how i get on

EcosseGP
26th November 2014, 07:20 PM
Nae bother happy hunting ... and fingers crossed :)

Cybermenace
26th November 2014, 07:27 PM
I just got DAB back in my mini after losing it due fitting a parrot car kit, I just need to work out how to save the channels now

EcosseGP
26th November 2014, 08:21 PM
Did you get it all sorted ?
Did you have to take the Parrot kit out to get it back ?