PDA

View Full Version : Mini write off :(

Hmfc1874
25th November 2014, 09:43 AM
So my first mini ownership has pretty much been a disaster from the get go. And now it's gotten worse :( Got rammed off the road on Saturday night and ended up rolling my mini and coming to a standstill upside down in a ditch. the boy never stopped for me and pretty much left me for dead upside down. Luckily my mini is built of strong stuff and once the fire brigade and a passer by got me out of harms way I pretty much walked away from it with just cuts and bruises. Boy do I feel bloody lucky.
Now I need to find another car :( definitely going to find another mini, that wee car saved my life!
On a cheerier note, Anyone know where il be able to find a good second hand one 😜

Rob Gavin
25th November 2014, 09:51 AM
glad to hear you are ok considering what happened.

cant comment on where to get another though

EcosseGP
25th November 2014, 10:01 AM
OMG it's certainly not been the best start to MINI ownership for you that's for sure but glad to hear firstly that you're ok and secondly that you'll be getting another ..
Tell us what you want and how much you've got to spend and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction ..

Hmfc1874
25th November 2014, 10:32 AM
Oh il definitely get another, I'm adamant that if I had been driving my other car that I wouldn't be here to write this! I rolled right across two lanes and into the ditch, not one window shattered and I wasn't crushed so I know mini is definitely the safe option. I want another one.
I'm gutted about my car but cars can be replaced after all, people can't.
Need to find out when my insurance will pay out and how much. Iv never had an accident before so not sure how much they'll even give me for it. anyone know how it works? X

Craig
25th November 2014, 10:34 AM
WOW ! Glad your OK. Not a great situation to be in.

As Davy says, let us know what your looking for and we can provide you some info/advice :)

Glad your sticking with MINI. A few have been in your shoes and have also stayed with MINI due to their strength in an accident... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmfc1874
25th November 2014, 10:58 AM
Well I had an 07 plate r56 cooper but im thinking I may go down the route of the cooper s now, I haven't got a clue.
I'm probably going to need to look for an older one as I don't know how much money the insurance company will give me back (can't imagine itl be anywhere near what I paid for the car) I know mini's hold their value but it was a £5k car at the time and I only had it a few weeks so prob book price on it will be a lot lower x x

EcosseGP
25th November 2014, 11:24 AM
Well once you find out what you've got to play with and how much let us know .. we'll help if we can :)

Hmfc1874
25th November 2014, 11:51 AM
Thank you :) x x

MINI William
25th November 2014, 12:50 PM
You've not had a great time in your short MINI ownership. Im pleased that your ok and cars can be replaced. Let us know what your looking for and we can try and point you in the right direction

Eddie
25th November 2014, 12:52 PM
Feel for you pal. But admire how you are dealing with it all. Will help find you a nice mini with the guys 👍

EcosseGP
25th November 2014, 01:24 PM
Hannah my mates brother says you can buy his MINI at the end of the season .. He did mention that'll it'll have a couple of bumps and scratches on it though ...
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/GPEcosse/d61b780c86d6307140c623d9561e6bbf.jpg

gauldrymini
25th November 2014, 02:22 PM
...thought I had bad luck :frown: seems this bad luck thing is more widespread

bound to be someone on the forum who can help you find you a new MINI

Hmfc1874
25th November 2014, 04:25 PM
Thanks folks, should hopefully find out by the end of the week/start of next how much the insurance company will give me back. I'm hoping it's enough to buy something decent. Deffo going to need to be a private sale one. Will keep u all posted, thanks :) x x

Hmfc1874
25th November 2014, 04:26 PM
Hannah my mates brother says you can buy his MINI at the end of the season .. He did mention that'll it'll have a couple of bumps and scratches on it though ...
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/GPEcosse/d61b780c86d6307140c623d9561e6bbf.jpg

I was thinking orange 😂😂😂😂😂 but thank you pmsl x x

Mon the fish
25th November 2014, 04:51 PM
First of all, glad you're fine.

Personally, if you're after an S, I'd steer clear of early R56s with your budget, they can have a few issues.

A late R53 with low miles may suit, as long as £285 tax and 35mpg isn't a problem (it's not a diesel after all)

Eddie_JCW
25th November 2014, 05:00 PM
Glad you're ok, you've really not had much luck over the past few weeks although it sounds like you had a very lucky escape.

Did they get the b****rd?

You're in the right place for help getting another one :)

DigitalLemming
25th November 2014, 05:49 PM
I was thinking orange 😂😂😂😂😂 but thank you pmsl x x
Like a bit of orange myself :lol:

Glad to hear you're OK and I'm sure we can help find another MINI for you :)

Hmfc1874
25th November 2014, 05:51 PM
All I know is I want another mini. But I'm totally clueless as to which one to go for. I'm under no illusions that il probs only have about £2500-4000 to play with depending on how kind the insurance company are (let's face it, they might not even care about being nice lol).
They haven't caught him yet, but it's a small place and ppl talk so I'm hoping someone slips up soon. Il kill him myself if I catch him :( x x

jonnie
25th November 2014, 09:05 PM
Glad your ok but gutted for you. I have first hand knowledge of how strong minis are in an accident.

marky
25th November 2014, 09:42 PM
Where did it happen? Any idea of make or model of the car that hit u?

Scottie
25th November 2014, 10:15 PM
Can u not use your insurance money as a deposit and pay the rest up
That way you can go to a dealer get a half decent one and a warranty that way u can truly have peace of mind.

EcosseGP
25th November 2014, 11:12 PM
We'll be able to find you something I'm sure of that and in your price range too I think.
There's some not bad S's about :)

rosslamb
25th November 2014, 11:13 PM
Just want to repeat what everyone else has said. Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you stayed away from too much harm. Shame about your wee car tho.
You have probably been told this but, Dont take the insurance companies 1st offer. Ask them to "reassess" their offer as it's not good enough. Then when they callback you might find the offer has magically jumped up. If not get strumpy and ask for a manager etc etc.
works for many people.

Hmfc1874
25th November 2014, 11:17 PM
Happened down the borders, it happened that quick, I came out the other side of a blind hairpin just casually as you do singing along to my radio and all of a sudden there was a car in my lane :( it was black/dark blue, that's all I remember x

Gismo
26th November 2014, 08:10 AM
Wow, not a great start to your Mini ownership

Hmfc1874
26th November 2014, 09:28 AM
Aye, it didn't really sink in til I saw it in the daylight and saw the car. What a state. I have no idea how I walked away from that one, other than the fact the cars built like a little tank. I'm definitely luckier than first thought; that roads claimed a lot of lives over the years and I'm just glad I'm still here to tell the tale.

Iv been having a look online and iv seen a lot of people saying not to take the first offer Ross, and that it's best to look for local cars of the same year and mileage so they can meet or match those prices as I need to be able to buy a like for like replacement.....but I got my car cheap so I'm not sure how this will work out. They're phoning me today to sort out my statement for my insurance policy so fingers crossed they advise me soon of how much il have to buy another one. If anything, this has just made me absolutely convinced that I want to stick with mini. X x x

ianking
28th November 2014, 12:35 PM
Bummer about your car but at least you are fine.

MINIs are defo strong cars. I had a similar incident to you back in 2002 with my first new MINI. I wiped out a tree and telegraph pole whilst rolling over on its roof.

I left largely unhurt. I went straight back out and ordered another MINI

Hmfc1874
28th November 2014, 03:57 PM
Yeh, I'm glad it's not just me being mental but it's deffo not put me off :) they're strong cars x x

CiderFex
28th November 2014, 08:04 PM
I've only just seen this and am so glad to hear that you are O.K.
They are tough little cars and I'm sure you'll find another one soon enough.

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

j13owr
29th November 2014, 10:26 AM
Jees!!......glad your ok, and same here, post the spec you would like and I'll help if I can........

Hmfc1874
1st December 2014, 06:15 PM
Hi guys, finally got my first valuation offer tonight. Can anyone help me out? He just told me he had valued my car at £5000, he told me it was due to the 64500 mileage and 2007 plate and the fact it had the pepper pack on it......but I thought my car was the chili pack, so iv declined this offer and will call him back in the morning to get another offer from them. I paid a lot less than this for the car but that was purely down to my dads negotiating skills at the garage. Do I push for more or settle at £5000? X x

CiderFex
1st December 2014, 06:29 PM
If that's more than you paid for it, I'd personally take it, you haven't lost any money which is a great bonus to not being severely injured.
They could come back with a stupidly low offer.

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

Hmfc1874
1st December 2014, 06:39 PM
He's told me already that that's their lowest offer, so it can only ever stay the same or get better. But I'm just wondering if I should just cut my losses and go for that or push him for a bit more, and I know everyone's told me to always decline the first offer but I was secretly over the moon with it. Hmmm x x

marky
1st December 2014, 07:26 PM
Push it for more. Always go for the third offer. Usually there last

EcosseGP
1st December 2014, 07:29 PM
Personally I'd try and push for a bit more if they've offered you that it's not going to get any lower and you might get a few more quid out of them. Just be sensible about it and if they don't budge you've not lost anything ..

Hmfc1874
1st December 2014, 07:49 PM
Hmm think il call and ask for another offer then. I can't lose anymore, just another day further away from having a new mini....but il happily wait an extra day if it means I get a few extra bucks :) thanks guys x x

Gismo
1st December 2014, 07:55 PM
I'm of the opinion that you're getting more than you've paid, however, you'll looking to get more so have a quick look online at cars you might like and see what you need to buy it

Rob Gavin
1st December 2014, 08:19 PM
Your looking for 'market value'. Do your homework such as autotrader and see what an equivalent car locally to you is advertised for. Get a few adds printed off and sitting in front of you so you can refer to them during conversation. I've had to do this in the past with generally good success.

stoney
1st December 2014, 11:06 PM
Yep never take the first offer 👍👍 you will get more

ianking
2nd December 2014, 09:24 AM
£5k is a good offer. Trade books at way less than that and to be fair he is offering you retail money.
Not a bad bid at all.

A friend of mine is selling an 07 07 Cooper S with 62k for £5k if you are interested.

Hmfc1874
2nd December 2014, 03:56 PM
Iv settled on £5200 and I'm pretty sure once my excess comes off il have about £4900 left to play with :) everyone if you see a spot on Mini Cooper let me know, il have the money in my acc by the end of the week/start of next week so need to get my finger out and find one pronto :) x x

Hmfc1874
2nd December 2014, 03:57 PM
£5k is a good offer. Trade books at way less than that and to be fair he is offering you retail money.
Not a bad bid at all.

A friend of mine is selling an 07 07 Cooper S with 62k for £5k if you are interested.

Hi, does your friend have an advert for their mini? Or a phone number that I could give them a call :)