PDA

View Full Version : Wash wheels, not brakes

Mon the fish
19th November 2014, 07:44 PM
Right, am I overthinking this or can the tame detailers back me up here :)

I get fed up having to drive the car to dry the brakes off, so I'm thinking of a way to cover the brakes to keep them dry whilst washing the wheels. I'm currently thinking a shower cap, cut at the bottom so I can put it around the hub, between wheel and disc (can't be bothered taking wheels on and off)

Anyone have any ideas, or do something similar?

simonfr
19th November 2014, 08:31 PM
You drive the car just to dry the brakes off?

Mon the fish
19th November 2014, 09:17 PM
You drive the car just to dry the brakes off?

The 550, yes. If I put it away with wet discs it ruins them

badwolf340
19th November 2014, 09:39 PM
Common thing give the car a wash dry the brakes,good practice

simonfr
19th November 2014, 09:39 PM
Ah, so not being driven for a few days/weeks. Understandable.

Craig
19th November 2014, 10:01 PM
I normally just give the car a short drive.... Hate rusty discs... And they can bind too if left wet/damp

Mon the fish
19th November 2014, 10:19 PM
Tried shower cap - no good, elastic too strong and caliper too big.

Back to the drawing board...

marky
19th November 2014, 11:32 PM
What about a bin bag? If u watch the plasti dip video on spraying wheels will show how to cover and fit as to protect the brakes.

CiderFex
20th November 2014, 02:33 AM
I always drive mine after a wash and go on a "brake drying run".

What about using cling film ?

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

donnaj1dlh
20th November 2014, 11:28 AM
What a faff. I don't bother driving mine....just shoogle about the driveway a bit, back and forward then leave the handbrake off, parked in gear.

EcosseGP
20th November 2014, 12:28 PM
I'm with Donna on this one I just drive it back n forth a couple of times job done. I always leave the handbrake off too so saves any "sticking" when you move off the following day ..
You could though cover the brakes with anything waterproof and probably a plastic bag would be just as good as anything .. A wee bit of thicker plastic sheeting might be just as good ;)

CiderFex
20th November 2014, 12:56 PM
I always like to take mine for a spin to dry the brakes and also to show off to the neighbours, and other locals, just how clean my car is.
:cool:

badwolf340
20th November 2014, 02:25 PM
What a faff. I don't bother driving mine....just shoogle about the driveway a bit, back and forward then leave the handbrake off, parked in gear.

Thats fine if you plan to use your car,but mine usually are in the garage for a few weeks and its best to dry discs and leave HB off

Mon the fish
20th November 2014, 02:30 PM
Both my cars need washed, both will end up sitting for over a month; in the case of the 550, at least til April.

The reason I don't want to have to drive it to dry the brakes off is I put a cover over it, and I don't want any risk of scratching due to dirt picked up on the 'drying-off' run

CiderFex
20th November 2014, 03:08 PM
That's a very good point.

rpn
20th November 2014, 03:58 PM
Have you try a garden blower to blow them dry?

(No I haven't if anyone curious.)

mikeswagon
20th November 2014, 04:09 PM
Maybe something like this bad boy?

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/metro-vac-air-force-blaster-cat5.html

OR it's little brother:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/metro-vac-blaster-sidekick-cat5.html

OR only clean the wheels first, take a spin up to Baillie drive to dry the brakes, I'll get the kettle on. Then back home, cover the whole wheels with bin bags, wash the rest of the car etc etc. Careful removal should then see no water near the brakes?

I used to do a quick spin around Westhill to dry the car, never considered the brakes but then again my cars never sat for long. Not something I tend to do now as the F56 seems to get a dirty bum very quickly :frown:

CiderFex
20th November 2014, 04:36 PM
Have you try a garden blower to blow them dry?

(No I haven't if anyone curious.)
I know one person that uses that method.

My lips are sealed though.
;)

stoney
20th November 2014, 05:08 PM
I know one person that uses that method.

My lips are sealed though.
;)

Ha better than the blade … 😝😉👍

CiderFex
20th November 2014, 06:34 PM
lol
I still giggle about your reaction everytime I use my blade Rob.
:p

badwolf340
20th November 2014, 06:52 PM
Got a chemical guys drier ,but never thought about trying it on the brakes (don't think it would work well enough)

Mon the fish
20th November 2014, 07:32 PM
Some good ideas, cheers folks! Not so keen on that drier though, £££...

I much prefer nicking the softest bath towels from the cupboard to pat the cars dry

EcosseGP
20th November 2014, 08:50 PM
Got to say currently that the microfibre drying cloth from Autoglym is brilliant .. Seems to hold and absorb far more water than any other one I've used. Wouldn't use it on my brakes though ;)