PDA

View Full Version : Scratch repair advice needed

GDud
19th November 2014, 04:52 PM
Dear all,

I have a Mini Cooper S R56, I purchased it in 2014 and have three year-ish of warranty left.

Some little s&*te keyed two panels on my mini. the scratch is deep enough to catch you nail on.

Can anyone recommend where to get it resprayed in the Edinburgh area? Peter Vardy have quoted £750!!! Also, given me the line, if you don't use BMW approved body shop and/or paint you will invalidate your warranty....

Any advice will be much appreciated!

EcosseGP
19th November 2014, 06:06 PM
How big are the scratches and does it really need to be resprayed ? We (Saltire Detailing) might be able to sort that for you ... What colour is the car ?

Eddie_JCW
19th November 2014, 07:18 PM
They're technically right... But they won't know who repaired it. Personally I'd get Davy (MiniiGP) to have a look first and if it does need painted then I'll let you know how my car gets on at Harry Fairbairn one of our sponsors :)

stoney
19th November 2014, 09:22 PM
They're technically right... But they won't know who repaired it. Personally I'd get Davy (MiniiGP) to have a look first and if it does need painted then I'll let you know how my car gets on at Harry Fairbairn one of our sponsors :)

Do they have there own bodyshop ?

Eddie_JCW
19th November 2014, 09:48 PM
They use the one in Kia across the road, it's MINI Approved

GDud
20th November 2014, 12:17 AM
[

How big are the scratches and does it really need to be resprayed ? We (Saltire Detailing) might be able to sort that for you ... What colour is the car ?

The car is a light silver blue and the scratches are across both panels (driver and rear quarter). The only positive is that they aren't particuarly visible due to the colour.

GDud
20th November 2014, 12:42 AM
Here are some photos:http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/19/d2de6f963fe5342a2f783a3046289f88.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/19/cb5e663aeca780d82055dd613778fba7.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/19/e4b07c8420f2f28fac0dc60bc6afb233.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/19/5f643ccc401625508afd10eb132c873a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GDud
20th November 2014, 12:43 AM

Thanks, please let me know how you get on!

donnaj1dlh
20th November 2014, 11:33 AM
Have you tried polishing it out yourself first GDud? I had a nasty tear along the side of mine after a dark night collision with a fallen free :( a little persistence with GTechniq P1 polish/FP1 pad got 99% of it out, even off the vinyl arch. You could try Autogylm Paint Correcter if you only want to nip to Halfrauds. GTechniq do next day delivery though (even to me in Aberdeen). Detailers with a rotary will probably get out what you can't.

EcosseGP
20th November 2014, 12:21 PM
It looks like it'll need touched up first and too deep to polish out .. but I'd need to see it before saying 100%. With the colour of the car and filling the scratch in I'm sure that you wouldn't be able to tell where it was once done. Where do you live ?

GDud
20th November 2014, 02:51 PM
It looks like it'll need touched up first and too deep to polish out .. but I'd need to see it before saying 100%. With the colour of the car and filling the scratch in I'm sure that you wouldn't be able to tell where it was once done. Where do you live ?

Yep, I agree on the polishing out not being a viable option, as it is pretty deep. Im over in Edinburgh

EcosseGP
20th November 2014, 02:53 PM
I'm happy to have a look at it as an option to getting the car painted if you want .. be cheaper

GDud
20th November 2014, 02:54 PM
Have you tried polishing it out yourself first GDud? I had a nasty tear along the side of mine after a dark night collision with a fallen free :( a little persistence with GTechniq P1 polish/FP1 pad got 99% of it out, even off the vinyl arch. You could try Autogylm Paint Correcter if you only want to nip to Halfrauds. GTechniq do next day delivery though (even to me in Aberdeen). Detailers with a rotary will probably get out what you can't.

It is pretty deep in places, so that what worries me about buffing away at it, with GT. Im hoping the a good detailer may be able to fill it and then polish it way!

stoney
20th November 2014, 05:10 PM
Speak with Davy and Craig at saltire detailing they should be able to help 👍👍

GDud
20th November 2014, 06:31 PM
I'm happy to have a look at it as an option to getting the car painted if you want .. be cheaper

Sure, are you over in Edinburgh? PM me if possible

EcosseGP
20th November 2014, 08:53 PM
^^ I'll send you a PM tomorrow not be back until later so might not get a chance tonight ;)