PDA

View Full Version : Winter time

badwolf340
19th November 2014, 07:51 AM
So winter is here,who puts the car off the road,who SORN's the car,any special things that you do before the car goes away or do you change the tyres for winter ones ?

tangledfeet
19th November 2014, 08:10 AM
Winter tyres on steel rims! I've had winter tyres for several winters now; they're not just for snow and ice but they clear water far more efficiently.

Crombers
19th November 2014, 08:21 AM
It sits in the garage waiting for dry days to go out for a spin. Pretty much like summer when I think about it :blink::Whistle:

Don't use a charger either, just turn it over every week or so :thumbs up:

A partial Hamann refurb (on the split rims) will be sought out one of these days along with some nice new 'boots', so that we can get back to being 'a bit of a tart' over the summer months :smilewinkgrin:

donnaj1dlh
19th November 2014, 08:48 AM
Winter alloys/tyres, rubber mats.......concentrated window scooshers, couple of Mars bars in the glove box, bag of grit, blanket, boilersuit, hat and collapsable spade!
....can you tell I grew up in the back of beyond!?

.....christ knows how all that will fit in the MINI though, ha!

Mon the fish
19th November 2014, 09:40 AM
530d - winters from November to April
Z4 - standard Conti's, used as and when, no charger
Mini - no charger either, used as and when (i.e. once a month if I'm lucky lol), Parada Spec 2's to make snow driving mega fun
550 - charger, dehumidified garage, covered, hopefully see the paintwork again in April. Tyres over-inflated to prevent flat spots

I never SORN any of the cars, as for all it would save I really can't be bothered. Plus if it happens to chuck it down with rain in Jan to clear the salt, then dries up and stays at a decent temp, I want to retain the ability for a cheeky hoon

EcosseGP
19th November 2014, 10:24 AM
Winter alloys/tyres, rubber mats.......concentrated window scooshers, couple of Mars bars in the glove box, bag of grit, blanket, boilersuit, hat and collapsable spade!
....can you tell I grew up in the back of beyond!?

.....christ knows how all that will fit in the MINI though, ha!

I'm happy to look after the Mars Bars if you're struggling for space Donna :)

Angib
19th November 2014, 11:18 AM
concentrated window scooshers
Yep, this is the time of year to pump out all that summer screenwash and replace it with the psycho -25 stuff. You can't wait for the really cold stuff to do that, since then you can't get the old stuff out!

Surprised you don't have a tow rope - to pull out of the way those that aren't as well prepared.

Mini drivers often don't seem to realise how much they are despised by some others. Some years ago I came across a VW Transporter unable to make it up the last bit of a snowy hill, working with a shovel. As I was already at the top and had winter tyres, I offered to help pull him up and he replied "no thanks - someone might see and I'd never live it down". I had to admire him having the courage of his convictions and being wiling to pay the price!

Craig
19th November 2014, 12:26 PM
Winter wheels and tyres on the PM and CM. (Cos I can't drive apparently :rolleyes:)

Conv on a maintainer but will still get used for the odd hoon to keep any of the parts from seizing up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gauldrymini
19th November 2014, 12:45 PM
All seasons on the company Jetta...

5 Dr likely to remain with the tyres it is born with...been told if its that bad :snow: then it stays in the drive

donnaj1dlh
19th November 2014, 01:28 PM
I do have a towrope actually Angib ... but it's currently strapping a dodgy rooted apple tree to a fence at the moment!! AND I have jumpleads!!! Min, I could get a job with the AA!!

....and I dinna empty out the scooshers, just top it up with the neat stuff when it starts wearing low :)

ianking
19th November 2014, 01:54 PM
Countyman is the daily driver so no change, not putting winter tyres on this year. If the weather is bad then Sarah wont be going out.
If we had an emergency and had to go out then we have access to several 4WD / Quattro vehicles from my parents.

My classic mini is on SORN and is away in storage in my mates dealership showroom as its nice and warm in there. It will be back on the road in April.

Eddie_JCW
19th November 2014, 02:31 PM
Being a professional I do nothing :lol:

Might wax it next week and wash it a couple of times over winter :p

jonnie
19th November 2014, 10:54 PM
Just keep driving mine, might get a wash if i get a day to myself