PDA

View Full Version : Sound upgrades

Hmfc1874
17th November 2014, 11:50 PM
Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers. Can anyone on here give me a bit of advice on what's best to get? Not looking to change the standard CD player, just need a bit more oomph from the speakers :) many thanks

Craig
18th November 2014, 08:39 AM
Best to speak to Mikey at www.newministuff.com. He can give you advice on what's best for your budget and help you get the best out of your stereo. If you had an R50/53 then id say change the head unit as it's the weak link but you've got an R56 so it's not as straight forward :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
18th November 2014, 08:56 AM
If it's like the earlier models simply changing the head unit rather than the speakers will give you better sound ..

Track Ali
18th November 2014, 11:40 AM
For the R56 there's the channel swap kit is there not?

If I remember correctly it's Mikey at NewMINIstuff that supplies them. It's a simple plug-n-play cable that sends the bass signals to the rear speakers rather than the front, which makes the sound a bit better. Only downside is if you have factory installed bluetooth as then you're calls come out the back speakers. That's why I've not gone for it yet.

It's not going to be leaps and bounds better for around a tenner I'm under the impression it's a pretty decent improvement.

DigitalLemming
18th November 2014, 12:09 PM
I've done the channel swap in my R56, sounds much better and really makes a change to the bass levels, it costs about £35-40 but for me it was well worth it, I guess though it might depend what sort of music you listen to.

Easy to fit - even I managed it myself! The hardest part was getting the plastic cover back into place with the new bit of cabling behind it.

As Ali said the bluetooth then comes out the rears as do the reversing sensors which is a bit off putting at first but soon get used to it.

Gismo
18th November 2014, 01:41 PM
Decent sound in an R56 is hard to do and there is only one person i would trust, mikythemini is your man, but, it's not for the faint hearted.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, Mikey has several kits that you can buy, by far one of the best is to simply replace the speakers, but, that's a lot of panel removing etc and hoping you don't get rattles after it.

Not being able to replace the head unit was one of the main reasons why i didn't buy an R56, i'm far too anal about the sound in my car being way better than standard.
I finally had to bite the bullet, but, i've found the HK is better than i thought, but, i did spec the car new so that helped whereas you are not in that situation.

Still, i'd highly recommend you speak with Mikey, it's actually worth the drive down, overnight stay and a few beers with him :thumbs up:

Hmfc1874
20th November 2014, 09:44 AM
I'm going to have a look and see what he's got :) thanks guys x

Gismo
20th November 2014, 12:14 PM
I'm going to have a look and see what he's got :) thanks guys x
Posted this on another thread, but, this is a good start:-
Speaker DIY Kit (http://www.newministuff.com/audio-upgrade-package-diy-kit-for-hatchback--clubman-636-p.asp)
Channel Swap DIY (http://www.newministuff.com/channel-swap-648-p.asp)