PDA

View Full Version : CG Lock.

CiderFex
14th November 2014, 06:03 PM
I ordered a CG Lock yesterday, and by some miracle, or voodoo, it turned up today.

The packaging was a bit excessive but the lock was quite easy to fit.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/a42d5cbffa48c359321d1553e1e0798c.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/4dcc4fdbed8ee2720e28c852039e0042.jpg

My first impressions are quite favourable.
It does feel a bit weird when you first put it on and pull it tight though.

After a steady drive out of the office car park and around the local streets it felt less wierd the further I drove with it on.

After warming up the engine to full temp I waited longer than I needed to at a big roundabout so that I could give it some beans around it.

Road clear and my right foot hit the floor.

A slight jink to the left and then a huge turn to the right and my ass stayed firmly planted with no sideways movement at all.

A flick to the left, to exit the roundabout, yielded the same result, I never moved sideways at all.

It still felt a little strange but in a satisfying way.

A blast up the hill with stationary traffic about 300 yards away led to test 2.

Braking.

I left the middle pedal as late as I dare and then jammed it on.
My hips stayed firmly planted and I didn't move forward as I normally would when braking excessively.

I don't normally move a lot in the seats any ways but the difference was noticeable and reasurring.

More corners and roundabouts were taken faster than normal, and a few more heavy braking manoeuvres done for good measure , and I was still firmly planted.

A plus side is that I was actually holding the steering wheel a lot more lightly than I have ever done before. I've put this down to the fact that I was fastened in tighter than normal and I didn't feel the need to steady myself by holding onto the steering with a grip of steel.

Would I recommend them ?
Yes.
Are they worth £45 ?
They don't look it until you start to drive with it on.

I still have to test it on a long drive, and general daily use, but I can really see the benefits you'd get out of using one on a big hoon or a track day.

.....more thoughts to follow after a few weeks use

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

Mon the fish
14th November 2014, 06:40 PM
When you're strapped in tight, you really feel at one with the car. Next step harnesses...

Fine until you need to reach a car park ticket, ask me how I know :p

CiderFex
14th November 2014, 07:19 PM
To be honest it has really surprised me the difference it has made.

I have quite a few mods to clear from my want list before I contemplate a full harness though.
;)

stoney
14th November 2014, 07:28 PM
Would be interested to see what difference it made when on track

Angib
14th November 2014, 08:21 PM
When you're strapped in tight, you really feel at one with the car. Next step harnesses...

Fine until you need to reach a car park ticket, ask me how I know :p
Yep, one of the best arrangements I grew up with was in a 1960s Rover with fixed seat belts, but with a separate release on the shoulder strap, so you could un-tension that to reach into the glovebox or out the window. Inertia reel belts are convenient but it's a shame none of them have a built-in locking function. When driving fast, I often yank up on the shoulder belt to pull the whole belt tight.

Back in the 1970s Ital Design did a sports car that had something like integral waistcoats built into the seats, so that once in, you clipped them around your torso, locking you into the seat....

Eddie_JCW
14th November 2014, 08:51 PM
My Mondeo had a locking function on the rear seat belts for child seats it's a shame the front belts never.

I am seriously considering the CG lock, great review Pete :thumbs up:

CiderFex
14th November 2014, 09:07 PM
Rob, I personally think it would hold up very well on a track to be honest.

Thanks Eddie.
:)

MINI William
14th November 2014, 09:46 PM
Great right up Pete

CiderFex
14th November 2014, 11:02 PM
Cheers William.

EcosseGP
15th November 2014, 03:19 AM
Good news Pete and glad you think it's a reasonable mod :):)

CiderFex
15th November 2014, 04:00 AM
Ta, there's still more testing to do but I'm more than happy with it up to now.

Here's hoping that the next few wee mods will be able to be purchased soon.
;)

jonnie
30th November 2014, 08:20 PM
Just ordered one.

CiderFex
30th November 2014, 08:27 PM
I'm still loving mine.
I've been using it everyday since I bought it and have no intention of removing it.

digi
4th December 2014, 06:33 AM
i used one in my fabia vrs .must dig it out of the shed and try it in the roadster

CiderFex
4th December 2014, 12:41 PM
It takes a bit of getting used to Ali but once I did get used to it, 3-4 days for me, I wondered why I'd not bought one sooner.

CiderFex
14th April 2015, 02:16 PM
Update on the CG Lock.

After a few "full on" hoons around North Yorkshire I can not recommend these highly enough.
My ass was planted into the seat like it was glued in and really kept me stable around corners, some of which were taken as fast as I dare, and also on the bumpy "please-stop-making-those-scraping-noises" type roads.
For all of you that can not warrant a full harness these wee gadgets are awesome when out on a hoon.
[emoji41]

...enjoy the journey.

MINI William
14th April 2015, 03:01 PM
Update on the CG Lock.

After a few "full on" hoons around North Yorkshire I can not recommend these highly enough.
My ass was planted into the seat like it was glued in and really kept me stable around corners, some of which were taken as fast as I dare, and also on the bumpy "please-stop-making-those-scraping-noises" type roads.
For all of you that can not warrant a full harness these wee gadgets are awesome when out on a hoon.
[emoji41]

...enjoy the journey.

Pleased that it worked well Pete.

jonnie
14th April 2015, 07:06 PM
Have to agree Pete, money well spent.

CiderFex
14th April 2015, 07:45 PM
Very much so.
I do miss it when I'm driving The Hearse (2.2DTi Insignia Sports Nav Tourer) as I feel "loose" whilst driving it.
'Ar Lass is not convinced on having one in The Hearse so I'll just have to enjoy using one in 1499.

...enjoy the journey.