PDA

View Full Version : Hiya! Test drive booked ....... and some questions

Scottch
6th September 2004, 07:18 AM
Lo guys!

After years of being a wannabe, we've made up our mind that the lure of the mini is too strong.

48 hour test drive should happen early this week, and providing we can live with it, we'll be ordering a new MCS after that.

Square me up though guys, my dad had an early MC that was so troublesome BMW bought it back. Rather than learn from that disappointment, he followed on with a MCS that was gorgeous but was also poorly built and forever in the dealer - he didn't keep it long.

So, are they still a bit "iffy" in the build quality dept.?

And, we have a couple of young (8 & 5 yo) kids, can the mini cope with rear passengers?
(yep, I know there are more practical cars out there - but I'd be more excited buying a new fridge than another eurobox :D)

Anyone have any experinces with IceLink?

There's probably loads more question I have for you all, but right now I have that vacant look on me napper ;) again!

Cheers!

Scott

Sheilz
6th September 2004, 08:03 AM
Cant say too much about the build quality other than I am more than happy with mine though it has only 4,300 on the clock yet so plenty of time for things to go wrong. As far as passengers are concerned my youngest (6) has loads of space in the back. If Nik (15) has to sit in the back he finds it comfortable enough as long as the front passenger isn't too greedy about leg room. Nik's about 5'3". he has said he wouldn't want to go very long distance in the back because the seats are quite hard compared to those in our family car (Primera).
Hope this helps. I think the kids find it so cool for mum and dad to have an mc that any mild discomfort is ignored. :D:D:D

Gismo
6th September 2004, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the site, can't really comment on the build quality of the latest models, but, from what i hear and read they seem to be much better :cool:

Smurf
6th September 2004, 03:57 PM
Welcome!

My Coop is almost 2 years old. a few niggly wee problems, but nothing major. On the whole the dealer has repaired or replaced everything required.

No worries about getting another MINI (in fact that's the plan for next year) but I will more than likely be changing dealers. More gripes with them than the car!

The Dogfather
6th September 2004, 04:20 PM
More than happy with my Coop, in fact the only reason I didn't order another (a diesel) was because the waiting list was so long.

As for practicality, we don't have kids but the dog loves the back seat (fitted with special MINI seat cover) he seems to enjoy staring out of the back window whilst being chauffered around from beach to park etc.

Duncan Stewart
6th September 2004, 04:38 PM
I'm approaching 30,000 miles with my March 03 Cooper and have had no serious problems, just some minor stereo niggles and rear pads needing replaced at 25K. I've found Morrisons in Kirkcaldy fine as a dealer.
I have no problems carrying 3 adults in my Mini but cannot fit a passenger behind me due to my driving position (I keep as spare wheel there anyway :clown:)
If comfort is an issue for you, then consider trying a Cooper with 15" wheels as the Cooper S suspension and runflat tyres gives a hard ride. I drive through Kennoway on the way to work each day and know how poor the roads are around there.
Go on get a mini - It's the most fun you can have on 4 wheels (or occasionally 3 wheels ;))

Wul
6th September 2004, 04:56 PM
First MINI was a 02 coop and had a lot of problems with it - traded it back in for an 04 MCS and touch wood the quality is much better as i've had no problems so far.

Scottch
6th September 2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated!

What about Icelink? Has anyone got experience of that here?

And now the toughy, what about colour / stripe combo's?

Cheers!

Scott

Steve74
6th September 2004, 05:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated!

What about Icelink? Has anyone got experience of that here?

And now the toughy, what about colour / stripe combo's?

Cheers!

Scott

Got the Icelink and it's pretty good. Only thing is it's tricky to mount. If I had to choose again I'd go for the new BMW one which integrates with the Steering wheel and sits in the glovebox.

Scottch
6th September 2004, 06:10 PM
Steve,

As far as I know, the BMW Ipod interface is not available in the UK - I've already tried to have it installed in my other motor only to be told it was a BMW North America product that, if installed, could have warranty implications - therefore, BMW UK would not be able to supply it.

However, if anyone knows better then please let me know - I hate all the cables that hang all over the place in my beemer (never knew about icelink until I found this site!)

Cheers!

Scott

Gismo
6th September 2004, 06:31 PM
Scottch, go to Mini2 (http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67676)
All you ever needed to know about the ice link and mounts etc can be purchased from mikeythemini ;)

Steve74
6th September 2004, 07:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Scottch, go to Mini2 (http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67676)
All you ever needed to know about the ice link and mounts etc can be purchased from mikeythemini ;)

That's where I bought my Ice-Link. I have to say though it's great apart from the rattle/buzz it seems to make - not made of the best plastics.

Scottch
8th September 2004, 04:14 AM
Thanks for all the help and the feedback peeps.

Wee update - We've got an S demo in the drive just now (been with us since last night, going back tomorrow). Hyper blue / chili pack and some other bits and bobs - looks fantastic, feels solid, goes like a missile!

Sales manager is coming to collect it tomorrow, and he'll also take back an order for our own.

What a stonker of a motor! Why have we waited so long??

Cheers!

Scott

seany
8th September 2004, 04:57 AM
welcome to the site

Starky
20th September 2004, 12:10 AM
We've had ours from Jan.'04 with no build probs.

Scottch
25th November 2004, 05:29 PM
Just a wee update.

It's here!

Arrived on monday afternoon, sent to coachworks for colour coding. Should return today, we're going up this afternoon to have a wee looksee.

We're still debating the colours for the viper stripes though, still thinking of red - the dealer has a set of red that we will place on top of the car. If we like it then that's it, if not I think they might end up going blue.

All going well, we'll be collecting our motor on saturday morning and flashing/waving like maddies.

It's dragged in a bit, but the wait is almost over!

Cheers!

Scott

The Dogfather
25th November 2004, 05:37 PM
Scott if you've gone for Hyper Blue then the silver vipers look great!

Scottch
25th November 2004, 05:42 PM
BDM,

No hyper blue mate - pepper white in the end.

Cheers!

Scott

sleepyrascal
25th November 2004, 06:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I'm approaching 30,000 miles with my March 03 Cooper and have had no serious problems, just some minor stereo niggles and rear pads needing replaced at 25K. I've found Morrisons in Kirkcaldy fine as a dealer.
I have no problems carrying 3 adults in my Mini but cannot fit a passenger behind me due to my driving position (I keep as spare wheel there anyway :clown:)
If comfort is an issue for you, then consider trying a Cooper with 15" wheels as the Cooper S suspension and runflat tyres gives a hard ride. I drive through Kennoway on the way to work each day and know how poor the roads are around there.
Go on get a mini - It's the most fun you can have on 4 wheels (or occasionally 3 wheels ;))

Occasionally no wheels - loch ness run road humps- My mini can fly!

red_cooper
26th November 2004, 07:50 PM
My mini is air borne every time i take it down hill road(a road from a farm i visit) it is approx 3/4 of a mile to a mile long and sheer bliss to drive on!! Every 1 should try runnin 15's on their mc's amazin how much quicker the car is!! just dont try goin right round roundabouts at 50mph be prepared for big understeer and then lift off oversteer!!

16's are the way forward for handling stakes!!!

X30YES
27th November 2004, 01:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch

Thanks for all the help and the feedback peeps.

Wee update - We've got an S demo in the drive just now (been with us since last night, going back tomorrow). Hyper blue / chili pack and some other bits and bobs - looks fantastic, feels solid, goes like a missile!

Sales manager is coming to collect it tomorrow, and he'll also take back an order for our own.

What a stonker of a motor! Why have we waited so long??

Cheers!

Scott
Hyper Blue looks cheap and nasty Scotch , not a colour for a mini at all .:D:D:D...BTW welcome to NMS ;)

Scottch
27th November 2004, 03:14 AM
quote:[i]Hyper Blue looks cheap and nasty Scotch , not a colour for a mini at all .:D:D:D...BTW welcome to NMS ;)

LOL :D

Good job ours is pepper white then!

Thanks for the welcome mate

Cheers!

Scott

choc
27th November 2004, 03:31 AM
we have had ours a year now and only minor probs ,back discs replaced and squeaky seats

Scottch
27th November 2004, 03:46 AM
Bit late now choc - we ordered the car sometime ago, it landed at the dealers on Monday and we collect it tomorrow at lunchtime!

Fingers crossed everything goes as planned!

Cheers!

Scott

choc
27th November 2004, 07:41 PM
hope u enjoy the car mate , all the best

Mini Me
27th November 2004, 10:10 PM
Hyper Blue is cool as fcuk ,av just ordered ma new S works in the beautiful yet elegant colour,ta very much.....;):p:dead:
<huff coming on>:disapprove:

X30YES
28th November 2004, 04:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

Hyper Blue is cool as fcuk ,av just ordered ma new S works in the beautiful yet elegant colour,ta very much.....;):p:dead:
<huff coming on>:disapprove:

Guess that's why I have one then :D:D:D

Scottch
28th November 2004, 07:01 AM
The wait is finally over!

We collected the car today - stuck with the red vipers (the agony was worth the wait) and I reckon they look the dugs meaty klinkers with the colour coded arches.

No rattles or squeaks so far - fingers crossed things stay this good.

So far, pretty 'kin delighted - top marks to Grassicks for handling all the extra work seemlessly and delivering when originally planned.

The only problem now is, that's me relegated back to my own motor as I can't imagine prying the keys from me julee for a while!

If you see's us, give us a wave!

Cheers!

Scott

The Dogfather
28th November 2004, 07:08 AM
Sounds like a cool motor, hope you can make it on a run soon. There's one next month I think ;)

Scottch
28th November 2004, 07:14 AM
Fingers crossed mate!

All going well, we're hoping to try and come up for the Pitlochry raid next month.

Cheers!

Scott

Crombers
10th December 2004, 10:21 PM
Picked up MC 07/06/04 & I have not been back to Henry Bros since. Cracking car , very happy with choice. Welcome aboard.