PDA

View Full Version : Another Tyring Question! - 16" Runflats

Wul
16th May 2003, 01:14 AM
Ok folks....

....i've noticed my front tyres are getting low and expect that they will need repalacing at some point in the next few thousand miles.

so....

Should i go for another pair of goodyear run-flats, or try pirelli/dunlop ones or....

...go for a "normal" tyre and get an inflation kit?

I currently have 195/55/16 Goodyear NCT run-flats all round and like the idea of the run-flats but not their non-puncture repairability, however i am happy with tyresafe in my run-flats dealing with any problems on the puncture front.

A few points in there but any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Monsta Mo Mini
16th May 2003, 04:54 PM
I think I might have a slow on one of my 17" run flats. Wul - did you just take yours down to Dunedin and if so how long did you have to wait, I see to spend half my life there as it is.:clown:

Wul
16th May 2003, 05:26 PM
Calum - when i got my slow i spoke to Eastern as they were closer - they take their tyres to National Tyres at Corstorphine (as do dunedin i think!) When i went to national the manager explained the whole run-flat puncture nightmare to me.

Basically if you have a pirelli or goodyear run-flat then forget a repair - they won't do it. only the dunlops are repairable.
and he listed a 16" goodyear run-flat as £140!! as the tyre (rear) still had about 10,000 miles worth left on it i went investigating.

In the end i went to seafield coachworks (at the end of leith links - round the corner from the carpet shops) and paid £19.95 to have tyresafe (www.tyresafe.com) put in all 4 tyres - my slow was gone instantly (although they do say it might not repair an existing puncture) but it did in my case and now the rest of the tyres are protected too.

Apart from a slight judder for the first couple of hunderd miles as the stuff coats the inside of the tyre you don't even know it's there! Bonnie Scotland has this stuff in his tyres too.

If you want a loan of my shiny new jack and brace to get a proper look at the tyre let me know and i'll drop it off to you - did you not kerb a wheel the other week? maybe you've just disturbed the seal arounnd the rim?

Wul
16th May 2003, 05:28 PM
Oh and forgot to mention - national at corstorphine don't have the run-flat machine - they have been trained to use their own and extra levers etc - that might explain how GAJ (i think it was GAJ!) ended up with a scratched rim!

duncan
16th May 2003, 06:19 PM
I too have a slow on the O/S/R, its been there since November!
At over £160 a tyre i'm not keen on replacing it. But if your saying Dunlops are maybe repairable then i'll have to investigate.

As for garages that do Run-flats, i was under the impression, it was only really Hi-Q dealers that had the gear for changing them

Wul
16th May 2003, 06:24 PM
Satellite = you may be right about Hi-Q have the machines but Nationals guys are trained to do it also (apparently)

GAJ
16th May 2003, 08:22 PM
It was GAJ!! I went to National on Ferry Road. However I was told the opposite. Runflats can be repaired in exactly the same way as any other tyre. The only difference in runflats is that the tyre wall is a lot stiffer and the flange where they meet the wheel is a bit bigger. My tyre was repaired and refitted (without any damage being done) but I decided to get a new tyre anyway as the repair was vey near the tyre wall. I still have the repaired tyre in case of any emergencies. Not many places have the Goodyear runflats in stock. The damage was done fitting the new tyre.:(

Monsta Mo Mini
17th May 2003, 02:55 AM
Called National and they had to call Pirrelli. Under no circumstances can a 17" Pirelli runflat be repaired and would have to be replaced...at wait for it.........£180 a throw!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I shall be looking into the alternatives on my return form holiday......:mad::mad:

I used to be able to get 4 tyres and a good curry for that when I had the Bravo.....!!!!!