PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust smell in cabin - R56 Cooper D

Roj135
8th November 2014, 06:24 PM
Hi guys!

When my wife's Cooper D is idling there is a strong exhaust smell in the cabin. Not noticeable when driving. The smell can be reduced by using the recirculating air button.

The more I smell it I'm thinking it maybe hot oil which isn't good.

I had a quick look under the bonnet tonight in the rain when my wife got home. I noticed what I think is oil sitting next to number 3 injector. If it is it could possibly explain the smell.

Has anyone heard/experienced this before?

Eddie_JCW
8th November 2014, 06:35 PM
That's a BMW Diesel thing I'm sure, my 3 done that if you idled for a while but I reckon it's normal and I didn't worry about it ;) but I don't think it was oil, was more of a hot diesel smell

Roj135
8th November 2014, 06:49 PM
I had read that before about them but this is really unpleasant and hasn't done it before.

EcosseGP
8th November 2014, 06:51 PM
Like Eddie says BMWs are very bad for the exhaust smell .. Could be that the DPF on the car requires changed .. How old / many miles is on the car ?

badwolf340
8th November 2014, 09:06 PM
never had any smells in our Cooper D's,and would not think that's normal.as said what year and what mileage

Roj135
9th November 2014, 07:21 PM
The car is on a 57 plate and has done around 70000 miles.

Would there be a dash light notifying me of the DPF needing replaced?

badwolf340
9th November 2014, 09:20 PM
I would have thought that any faults/maintainence would have brought up a warning light

EcosseGP
9th November 2014, 09:24 PM
Sometimes the DPF won't bring on a warning light .. Does the car just do short runs sometimes putting a cleaner through it and taking it for a thrash can clear it ...

Roj135
10th November 2014, 11:15 AM
Ah, cool. I always thought any dpf fault would show a light.

I will put a cleaner through it and go from there. Any suggestions on what cleaner to use on these engines.

Yeah, mostly short journeys to and from work.

Eddie_JCW
10th November 2014, 11:23 AM
Ah, cool. I always thought any dpf fault would show a light.

I will put a cleaner through it and go from there. Any suggestions on what cleaner to use on these engines.

Yeah, mostly short journeys to and from work.

Halfrauds sell Wynns DPF cleaner ;) I haven't tried it but it's worth a go. Maybe give it a good run too, my diesel was a lot worse on short journeys around town and it only started to smell if it was idling for more than 10 minutes I'm sure, but I know it wasn't instant which I'm sure would rule out any exhaust leak. Is it smoky on a cold start?

Roj135
12th November 2014, 11:44 AM
It seems the problem has been solved.

I dropped the car off at my regular mechanic and pointed out the problems etc. he phoned me a few hours later and said it was fixed. It seems the clamp that holds in injector number 3 had come loose :argh:

That was the cause of the smell and all back to normal now.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

Gismo
12th November 2014, 12:24 PM
:thumbs up:

MINI William
12th November 2014, 12:44 PM
Good news :yes nod:

Craig
12th November 2014, 02:11 PM
Woo hoo !! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie_JCW
12th November 2014, 02:12 PM
Great news :)

EcosseGP
12th November 2014, 03:08 PM
Result and much cheapness fix too .. :)

Roj135
13th November 2014, 02:46 AM
Cheers folks.

No charge as he's my "go to" mechanic for most things.