PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Collapsed

jdl_1967
6th November 2014, 02:42 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/06/a093cb47f5c6a43eb8f3f257552444e0.jpg

My car recently started to flash its oil pressure light at me intermittently.

After doing a bit of Googling, I learnt that some non OEM filters can collapse, so upon removing my filter from the housing I found this!

My filter did have the internal cage as it should, but still managed to do this in less than 3000 miles.

I don't know if this is due to a below par part or whether I have some other issue, but from now on I'll be using OEM.

It could also be me fitting it incorrectly at the last oil service, but I've fitted quite a number now and know to take care lining up etc.

Craig
6th November 2014, 03:04 PM
Not good John... :(.

I'm more worried that you own wet and dry sandpaper !! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdl_1967
6th November 2014, 04:10 PM
I use it for the bi-annual cleaning of my car, it cut through the dirt build up no problem ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stoney
6th November 2014, 04:44 PM
That's not good :(

Craig
6th November 2014, 06:09 PM
I use it for the bi-annual cleaning of my car, it cut through the dirt build up no problem ;-)

Ha ha .... Having seen your car, that could actually be true ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
6th November 2014, 06:36 PM
OMG John that's exactly why I only use OEM parts. I know they cost a bit more than the non OEM parts but can save you a bit of time and trouble in the long run !!

jdl_1967
6th November 2014, 07:22 PM
I can't remember where I bought the filter from, but I'm sure it wasn't a named brand like fram or Mann, which I'm sure are great quality and perfectly safe to use. The Mini item wasn't expensive though.

jdl_1967
11th November 2014, 08:55 PM

It looks like my twisted filter has damaged my oil drain back valve as it now pops out and doesn't sit flush as it's supposed to.

To stop it popping out and possibly not lining up correctly, I removed the larger lower spring, this has allowed the valve to now sit flush as it appears to in photos of correctly working filter housings. This positioning allows the valve to appear to work correctly as the inner piece now depresses and raises using the smaller middle spring. However I now get a low oil pressure warning on tickover. Does the larger spring that I have removed also perform a task I have overlooked?

The attached image isn't mine, but how mine looked when I removed it, the larger spring is now removed to allow the switch to sit correctly in the housing.

badwolf340
11th November 2014, 09:45 PM
wondering if the large spring holds back oil to build up pressure ,so if its not there oil may not build up enough pressure to turn out light at tickover

EcosseGP
11th November 2014, 10:55 PM
Without actually seeing it John I'm not too sure. Sounds feasible reason though for it .. Does it go off when you drive it ?

jdl_1967
11th November 2014, 11:04 PM
Yes, when cold no oil pressure light even on tickover.

When hot it intermittently lights at tickover, if I switch the engine off immediately and then turn it back on it stays off until revved and allowed to idle again.

If revved, it either goes out immediately or within a second or so.

Not driving at the moment as I'm petrified the engine goes bang, I reseated the valve today and tried again, but just the same albeit I managed 9 miles before it started playing up. I thought I'd fixed it until this happened again.

I've ordered another oil filter housing to take the valve from it.

EcosseGP
12th November 2014, 03:37 AM
Yeah not too sure at all John about this ..
Sounds like that you're going down the right route given the info that you've passed.
I presume that the oils not leaking and it's just low pressure.
Have you a put a gauge on it to see if it's got any error codes stored ?

jdl_1967
12th November 2014, 05:29 AM
Only my own OBD2 reader, no errors.

I do have a very slight oil leak from my valve cover, but I'm sure this isnt enough to cause low oil pressure and where it's leaking from is not a pressurised point I think.

badwolf340
12th November 2014, 07:59 AM
Only thing left to do is connect a pressure gauge and find out what the pressure readings are

Mon the fish
12th November 2014, 09:04 AM
Oil pressure will be higher when the engine is cold, as the oil is thicker

jdl_1967
12th November 2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys, I might pop down and buy one. I'm frightened to see what pressure it's been running when the light's come on.

jdl_1967
12th November 2014, 01:10 PM
I've been researching this issue more and noticed my oil filter housing, or at least the cap appears different to what it should be. My car is a 2003 R53 gen 1

My car has the below type newer type cap as in the below image, even though I appreciate the below housing is not an R53 item due to no oil cooler

But everything online would suggest it should have the below type

The inside of my cap looks like this (non spring type)

Can anyone confirm I've got the right or wrong part please compared to other gen 1s?

Thanks