PDA

View Full Version : mistakes

badwolf340
2nd November 2014, 09:36 PM
sitting thinking of next mods and what to try and what not to do so.....whats the biggest mistake you have made to any of your cars past /present ????. MINI or anything else you have owned.
one of the biggest mistakes I made more than once was a strange habit of fitting twin DCOE webers and thinking that this time it wont be so bad on fuel and it will run like a dream, which nearly worked ,but the time and effort was never in reality worth all the bother :blush:.

AndyP & Lenore
3rd November 2014, 12:33 AM
On our Hyper Blue R53 Cooper S we fitted chrome scuttle vent covers. And a 'fit-over' chrome bonnet scoop, which was stuck down with sticky tape. The car was a bit of a mish-mash, but we loved it. The chrome wasn't on for long mind you, before we saw sense and reverted to factory. :hand:

Mon the fish
3rd November 2014, 07:22 AM
Wheel spacers. Ruined the ride on my car. Got my backside in gear and sorted out some wheels with a proper offset

badwolf340
3rd November 2014, 07:53 AM
The good thing is that we seem to have recognised the mistakes and sorted them out

Eddie_JCW
3rd November 2014, 09:09 AM
Depends on what you'd class as a mistake :lol: I've tuned 2 of my cars past their limits one being a Corsa 1.5 TD with a mechanical pump that could be wound up so instead of going economical and stopping before it started covering everything in soot I went for power, this thing gave 318i's a run for their money lol in the end it gave up and I didn't care it was the best £425 I'd ever spent, the carbon out the back was part of the fun. The second was my Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 140bhp which I got a Celtic tuning map for it was a removable one, I was given a choice- economy, fast road or track or something along those lines. I obviously went for the track running at 194Bhp (apparently) it was noticeably quicker but the dual-mass flywheel couldn't cope but I just took the map off and got ford to put a new one in. Do I regret them? Hell no! I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

My biggest regrets were what I hadn't done ie I didn't tune my WRX or my RX-8 but both were great as they were but could've been so much better :)

ianking
3rd November 2014, 02:16 PM
I ripped appart my first R56 S in 2007 and put in all different speakers, cables amp etc. Car rattled something awfull after that, the interior that is (although so did the timing chain). Was a complete waste of money and the car was a duff one anyway so was traded in after 11 months.
Everything about that car was a waste of money.

Definately wouldnt be bothering doing all that again.

Craig
3rd November 2014, 05:57 PM
Selling by BEP Coop for an R56 S at the end of 2006. Biggest mistake ever and I still regret it.... That Laser Blue car was a pile of poo, Replaced under warranty with a Dark Silver car that was just as big a pile of poo... :(. Not had an R56S since and Prob never will.... !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badwolf340
3rd November 2014, 07:18 PM
Selling by BEP Coop for an R56 S at the end of 2006. Biggest mistake ever and I still regret it.... That Laser Blue car was a pile of poo, Replaced under warranty with a Dark Silver car that was just as big a pile of poo... :(. Not had an R56S since and Prob never will.... !

There is a pic of your BEP on NMS Instgram when you visited us :yes nod:

Alex from NM
3rd November 2014, 07:33 PM
car wise getting rid of the Citroen AX GT I had when I was 22... for a 1.1 Saxo :scratch:

to the MINI(s) just generally wasting money on parts I've never fitted or changed my mind about. I have a black facelift centre console sitting around, tweeter A pillars, spare steering wheels... list is probably endless when I think about it :blush:

On the current car I've got a big intercooler but the car hasn't been mapped for it too.

Actually that's quite a lot of mistakes, just as well I'm normally quite positive ;)

Craig
3rd November 2014, 07:48 PM
There is a pic of your BEP on NMS Instgram when you visited us :yes nod:

That will be my second one (the JCW one) ..... :)

badwolf340
3rd November 2014, 07:58 PM
That will be my second one (the JCW one) ..... :)

it was

Crombers
3rd November 2014, 08:26 PM
Yet to make my mistake ........... with MINI 'that is' :thumbs up:

Apart from funding that is ......... at 10 years old we are starting to see a few area's in need of slight tlc & attention. Nothing major I may add but in the next 1 to 2 years we should be able to get 'Old Silver' fighting fit (& maybe ...... looking to venture further afield :hand:)

Ok okay ..... biggest regret was buying Austin Rover 'cack' before I saw the 'VW' light :blush:

badwolf340
3rd November 2014, 09:20 PM
thought it was a great idea to get rid of my Evo IX 340 (running 400) for my first BMW E90 325 D :thud:

Eddie_JCW
3rd November 2014, 10:10 PM
thought it was a great idea to get rid of my Evo IX 340 (running 400) for my first BMW E90 325 D :thud:

Ahh but clearly it was a great idea because you found out how great BMW really are and ended up having 4 :thumbs up: . I did the exact same except it was an Impreza WRX into an E90 320d, fantastic decision I loved that car if only it was faster :p one thing no one can fault is the way BMWs drive and feel.

badwolf340
4th November 2014, 07:39 AM
Ahh but clearly it was a great idea because you found out how great BMW really are and ended up having 4 :thumbs up: . I did the exact same except it was an Impreza WRX into an E90 320d, fantastic decision I loved that car if only it was faster :p one thing no one can fault is the way BMWs drive and feel.
I think your right except ,when counting back ....a little more than 4

Eddie_JCW
4th November 2014, 07:47 AM
I think your right except ,when counting back ....a little more than 4

If you include MINIs a hell of a lot more than 4 :lol:

marky
4th November 2014, 08:13 AM
spent a lot of money on my old mk3 fiesta, turning an rs1800 into a 2.0 zetec turbo only to blow the engine up twice! in a matter of 2 weeks!!
even when it was sitting with straight 2.0 waiting to be sold, was still spending money on it..sad thing was it was the water pump failed, trashed the engine, stripped and sold pretty quick after that

CiderFex
4th November 2014, 09:54 AM
My biggest mistake and regret was having a de-cat on GP1499.
The noise was unbearable above 3,000 rpm.
:mad:
It was removed as soon as possible.

I was getting over 32mpg though due to not wanting to annoy everyone within a 10 mile radius.
:)

It's my only "un-mod" to date.

There'll be others to come no doubt.
;)

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

EcosseGP
4th November 2014, 05:41 PM
Oh I can go on and on about this subject .. Mother says my biggest mistake was being interested in cars full stop. I dread to think how much money I've "wasted" on cars but I'm sure it'll run well into the £20000 mark with purchases and mods.

Mon the fish
4th November 2014, 05:47 PM
As much as I love my R53, buying it brand new was a bit of a mistake as I could have bought loads of nice cars for what it cost. Especially considering it's value now...

I certainly won't be buying a new car ever again

badwolf340
4th November 2014, 06:29 PM
One thing we all can agree on ....cars/mods are a money pit ,stopped counting long time ago ,never going to mod again and then you see or hear about something and that's it ,the hearts racing and your off ,where can I get it or when are they going to release it.:yes nod:

Eddie_JCW
4th November 2014, 06:53 PM
Oh I can go on and on about this subject .. Mother says my biggest mistake was being interested in cars full stop. I dread to think how much money I've "wasted" on cars but I'm sure it'll run well into the £20000 mark with purchases and mods.

Davy, my mother still constantly nags at me about my love of cars and everything car related because of the money I've spent (I'd hate to think how much, I think last time I counted it was well over £40k):shut up: yet she's drinking every weekend :ragin: she's never had to bail me out or put a penny towards any of my cars oh and I've not lived with her since I was 16 so I don't listen :lol:

One thing we all can agree on ....cars/mods are a money pit ,stopped counting long time ago ,never going to mod again and then you see or hear about something and that's it ,the hearts racing and your off ,where can I get it or when are they going to release it.:yes nod:

Famous last words Brian, we've all said it I know I have, tons of times. My JCW was staying standard :smilewinkgrin: :lol:

EcosseGP
4th November 2014, 07:11 PM
I was meaning 20k in modding alone Eddie if not more (had £6k 405 touring car engine in my 205) .. I dread to think how much I've spent on cars and parts all in .. Yeah I'm the same Eddie and I think in general she's probably right but I'd never have had as much fun as I have or met like minded folk. Is spending the money worth it .. hell yeah and as Brian says it doesn't matter the fact that we say "I'm keeping it standard" I know fine well that if I saw something I thought would be good on the car it'd be on when I could afford it.

CiderFex
4th November 2014, 07:16 PM
Up until April 21st 2012 I just could not understand why people would waste £1,000's on modding a car but not actually adding any value to it.

I know realise why.

It's a lot of fun, the excitement of buying a new mod is amazing, and having them fitted is even better, and no manufacturer will ever make my dream car to the exact spec that would be to my liking.

Thank you BMW for my GP, there are just a few bits that need tinkering with.
:cool:

Eddie_JCW
4th November 2014, 07:16 PM
:lol: oh I see, that's crazy. But I know it's worth every penny. That 205 must've been insane!!

CiderFex
4th November 2014, 07:20 PM
I never really acknowledge the amount I'm spending, I just see nice, shiny, louder, go faster, stop quicker bits.

I treat buying mods like buying a cider, the price is immaterial its the satisfaction I like most after buying it, whatever the cost.
:o

Eddie_JCW
4th November 2014, 07:27 PM
Pete I couldn't have said it better myself :thumbs up:

CiderFex
4th November 2014, 08:17 PM
:D

EcosseGP
4th November 2014, 08:20 PM
You're so right Pete it's a combination of satisfaction and personalisation .. I like to be different !
The funny thing is trying to tell mates children who want to "mod" not to do it and to save their money and buy a better car, however I don't really have a comeback when they say "you've done it and are still doing it" :)

badwolf340
4th November 2014, 09:38 PM
You're so right Pete it's a combination of satisfaction and personalisation .. I like to be different !
The funny thing is trying to tell mates children who want to "mod" not to do it and to save their money and buy a better car, however I don't really have a comeback when they say "you've done it and are still doing it" :)
Sometimes they just have to make their own mistakes

Eddie
4th November 2014, 09:52 PM
Am saying nothing lol😂

jdl_1967
4th November 2014, 09:53 PM
I think the worst mistake I have made, and repeated it on numerous cars, is changing the exhaust and ending up with horrific boomy journeys.

The worst example being a 205 1.9 GTi way back in the 90s that I fitted with a rally system, it resonated so much that after a long journey I struggled to stand up when I got out if the car due to the vibrations playing havoc with my inner ear. Needless to say, it didn't stay on the car that long.

And what do I want to fit to my current R53 JCW? a manifold and hi flow cat :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EcosseGP
4th November 2014, 09:56 PM
^^ you changed your mind about selling it then John ?

Eddie
4th November 2014, 09:57 PM
I never really acknowledge the amount I'm spending, I just see nice, shiny, louder, go faster, stop quicker bits.

I treat buying mods like buying a cider, the price is immaterial its the satisfaction I like most after buying it, whatever the cost.
:o

Just this

Craig
4th November 2014, 10:08 PM
I think the worst mistake I have made, and repeated it on numerous cars, is changing the exhaust and ending up with horrific boomy journeys.

The worst example being a 205 1.9 GTi way back in the 90s that I fitted with a rally system, it resonated so much that after a long journey I struggled to stand up when I got out if the car due to the vibrations playing havoc with my inner ear. Needless to say, it didn't stay on the car that long.

And what do I want to fit to my current R53 JCW? a manifold and hi flow cat :-)

Do it john :). You know how mine sounds :)

CiderFex
4th November 2014, 10:16 PM
If we never made mistakes we wouldn't learn from them.

"regret the the things you have done, not the things you haven't done."

jdl_1967
4th November 2014, 11:50 PM
^^ you changed your mind about selling it then John ?

I was thinking of getting a new car on a PCP, but decided against it. Why would I want something new, reliable and economical? ;-)

MINI William
5th November 2014, 11:27 PM
My biggest mistake was adding a sunstrip on my ONE. I quickly realised it looks naff and took it off the same weekend. I've spent a fortune on modifications luckily they have all been worth while and don't regret any bar the sunstrip

stoney
6th November 2014, 02:23 PM
Decat on the clubman and a custom on my old r53 jcw
Both were far to loud lived with the blue one but the de cat on the clubman lasted less than a week lol

Crombers
6th November 2014, 03:36 PM
My biggest mistake was adding a sunstrip on my ONE. I quickly realised it looks naff and took it off the same weekend. I've spent a fortune on modifications luckily they have all been worth while and don't regret any bar the sunstrip

Some things are best kept to yourself.............I now have this image of a green sunstrip with WILLIAM & MEGAN printed on it :hand:

But hey........I once owned an Austin Maestro :scratch:

EcosseGP
6th November 2014, 06:34 PM
^^ PMSL .. Now I've got that imagine !