PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper r56 stalling

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 03:53 PM
Hi guys, me (again) :)

My new to me Mini Cooper is stalling :( it's not me as my foot is firmly on the clutch when changing gear, and it's only happening when I brake to stop or slow down at a roundabout for example or I'm turning at a junction. Wtf is going on :( is it me being a tube or something the cars built to do. Have seen loads about this on american forums saying it's to do with the fuel they're all using. I assumed it was something to do with the start stop button. But the different fuel surely can't be the problem "/ I only bought the car last Friday 😭 I have 30day warranty on the purchase but if it's a quick/cheap fix I'd rather sort it out myself if possible instead of driving it back to where I got it. Any help would be much appreciated :) x

Eddie_JCW
30th October 2014, 05:15 PM
does it start again when you press in the clutch? it sounds like the auto start/stop feature :)

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 05:28 PM
Na, I thought that's what it was when it first did it. But it doesn't do it all the time, it only does it randomly maybe an hour or two a day? Is there anyway for me to turn that off, just to rule it out? When I press the clutch again it doesn't start, I have to press the start stop button to get the engine to turn over "/ x

Eddie_JCW
30th October 2014, 05:32 PM
Behind the cup holders and in front of the gear stick do you have a button with an A and an arrow going in a circle?

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 05:34 PM
Il go check :) two secs.x

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 05:38 PM
Nope, no button behind there. Only thing down there is my wee hidden aux point and fag lighter "/ I'm stumped! X

Eddie_JCW
30th October 2014, 05:49 PM
No buttons? I'd have thought there would've been at least one for the DSC, did you see the 3 little caps where buttons could go?

Eddie_JCW
30th October 2014, 05:51 PM
Someone who knows more about the R56's should be along shortly I'm just going on where everything is on my car but it may be in a different place :lol:

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 05:53 PM
Yeh three little caps are there, but no buttons. Iv got the usual "start stop engine" button up next to my steering wheel, and when I get anywhere close to slowing down it's like the car just stops dead. When I press the clutch it does nothing, I have to press the start button again to get the car to tick over. Iv got a 2007 r56 chili with the standard start stop button, so I didn't think it was the auto thing but I'm clueless so I could be totally wrong "/ x

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks though :)

Eddie_JCW
30th October 2014, 05:59 PM
No problem :) , it's a strange one. I noticed your car is an 07 which means it's unlikely to have it because I'm sure it wasn't on them until August 07 builds. I'm hoping it's an easy fix, do you have any warning lights on?

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 06:00 PM
Yeh I think mines was a June/July build if memory serves me. It's bizarre, and no there's no warning lights on which is why I'm even more clueless "/ where could I take it to get checked? X

EcosseGP
30th October 2014, 06:27 PM
I don't want to put a downer on the wee car but sounds like something isn't right. I'm not really up to speed with the R56 car so I'm going to struggle to help. However to me it sounds like a engine issue rather than a start / stop issue. Have you checked the oil level in the car ?

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 06:46 PM
Just phoned my dad, like you he's also said he doesn't think it's the start stop but more of an engine issue. He's asked about how it is idle etc and if il take it out for a run to see what it does just now. Really worried now as I only bought her on Friday night :( but I know iv got a 30day warranty with the car. It's just bizarre coz to not like it happens 24/7. I'm going to take her out just now and see how it goes. Really worried now though "/ x

badwolf340
30th October 2014, 07:23 PM
By the sounds of it ,your car does not have start/stop ,it did become standard in 2007 ,and as you have said there are no buttons in front of the gear lever ,yours must have missed it.Any warning lights or shuddering from the car,when it cuts out does it start normally and right away ,would be handy if you could get access to a OBD2 reader to see if there are any stored codes which may give you a clue.

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 07:36 PM
Na it's just the standard start stop engine button, nothing else fitted as far as I can see. When it cuts out and I push the clutch nothing happens so ur right it's not got the fancy start stop. There's no warning lights on at all. Sometimes it shudders but it's that shudder you get when ur in too high a gear for the speed ur doing (if that makes any sense). Really stumped by this "/ x

davidmacdonald306
30th October 2014, 07:37 PM
If you need , I recently purchased an obd reader , give me a shout if you'd like to meet to see what codes your car has.

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 07:38 PM
If u could help me David that would be awesome! I'm really struggling to figure this one out :( x

Mon the fish
30th October 2014, 07:42 PM
I'm passing through West Lothian and Fife tmrw if that helps, can bring a OBDII reader if needed

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 07:49 PM
I work tomorrow "/ would depend on what time ur passing x

Eddie_JCW
30th October 2014, 07:55 PM
does it change gears ok? it sounds like it may be clutch related

Mon the fish
30th October 2014, 08:06 PM
Lunchtime/early afternoon

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 08:35 PM
I finish work at 3 tomorrow :( x

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 08:35 PM
It's changing gears fine,they're a bit tighter compared to my old car but that's age related x

Alex from NM
30th October 2014, 09:02 PM
Hard to tell without seeing the car, but start with some simple stuff. Have you had the air filter checked?

My guess would be a sensor, possibly o2 causing the car to run lean. Does it make any difference if the engine is warm/cold?

davidmacdonald306
30th October 2014, 09:07 PM
I'm off on Sunday,Monday. If you still need a shot of a reader then give me a shout.

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 09:17 PM
Well I drove the car first thing this morning and it did it, drove it at 3 again and didn't do it, drove it again at 6 and it didn't do it "/ I'm losing the plot with it. X x

EcosseGP
30th October 2014, 09:23 PM
Def sounds like a sensor (maybe crank sensor) of some sort .. Not too sure but know the symptoms.
The down side would be taking it back and nothing happens they'll probably not want to get involved but I would make them aware of the issue and that you "might" go in.
Not too sure if the OBD reader would be any use until it throws up a fault .. although might not do any harm to check and clear any codes stored.

badwolf340
30th October 2014, 09:37 PM
Def sounds like a sensor (maybe crank sensor) of some sort .. Not too sure but know the symptoms.
The down side would be taking it back and nothing happens they'll probably not want to get involved but I would make them aware of the issue and that you "might" go in.
Not too sure if the OBD reader would be any use until it throws up a fault .. although might not do any harm to check and clear any codes stored.
If any codes are stored ,it would be a basis for further investigation work ,possible for codes without any warning lights and one of the first things a dealer would also check,one further thing ,when was the car last serviced and what was done ?

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 10:59 PM
It had a full service in August. And has been recently MOT'd, only advisory was the front reg plate was a bit marked but still legible. Other than that it's had a clean bill of health. I think il see if one of the guys can help me with an obd and see if any codes come up. Il call the garage on Monday once I get something sorted x x

Mon the fish
30th October 2014, 11:37 PM
My hunch is crank position sensor, symptoms ring a bell

Hmfc1874
30th October 2014, 11:42 PM
Will that crank sensor get flagged up by the obd? X

Mon the fish
31st October 2014, 07:09 AM
A code reader should pick that up

Hmfc1874
31st October 2014, 08:42 AM
Cool. I'm working today and tomorrow so will see if one of the guys can help me Sunday/Monday and get the obd on it x

Hmfc1874
1st November 2014, 09:10 AM
Well it was warm the other day and the car was fine, it's Baltic this morning and the car stalled twice as soon as I drove it away "/ grrrrrrr!!! X

EcosseGP
1st November 2014, 10:37 AM
Think that might be part of your issue then ..

Hmfc1874
1st November 2014, 10:50 AM
Sounds like it now that iv weighed up when it's happened etc. What can I do to stop this?it did it as I pulled out of a junction this morning, nearly wet myself, luckily no cars coming the opposite way.....but kinda worries me that it might keep happening "/ x

badwolf340
1st November 2014, 11:19 AM
Poss cold start circuit ,auto enrichment ,stepper motor or such like.

stoney
1st November 2014, 02:08 PM
I would get it back to where you brought it from Ito get fixed

Hmfc1874
1st November 2014, 07:55 PM
I'm going to phone them again on Monday/tues. Was no answer when I tried yesterday x

EcosseGP
1st November 2014, 09:03 PM
Yeah I'd be the same explain when it happens and ask them to sort it Hannah. Explain it's a danger and you're not happy ... Don't let them fob you off.

Bryce
6th November 2014, 09:50 PM
I had a similar problem with my first MINI, ended up being an airflow problem affecting combustion so the engine just stalls. Took Menzies around 6 weeks to identify. I just sold it :/

Hmfc1874
6th November 2014, 11:19 PM
Well I had someone take a look at it tonight......hope your all sitting down.... So far they've identified that there is a fault code P2845 which is "vanos exhaust actuator movement"

Fault code has just been cleared but issues still happening.

Clutch slave cyclinder pipe is corroded but realistically it's a bloody mess,
There's an Oil leak leaking just above gearbox on right and also leaking oil front left next to dipstick (possible rocker cover gasket)
Iv called the garage every day and left voicemails urging them to contact me and giving them my full contact details. My 30 day warranty runs out on 24th nov and I'm panicking now. The garage is nearly 3hrs away and it's looking like I'm going to have to make the trip next week "/

Eddie_JCW
6th November 2014, 11:28 PM
I'd be contacting Citizens Advice to see if they can help you because this sounds like it's going to be messy if the garage can't return a simple phone call. Which garage did you get it from?

Eddie_JCW
6th November 2014, 11:29 PM
Even if they just make a log to say you've contacted them well before the warranty runs out.

davidmacdonald306
6th November 2014, 11:32 PM
That's awful news Hannah, I'm really sorry to hear it. Annoyed my obd reader didn't pick up the fault code, can't really trust it now. Don't take any **** from the garage, get trading standards involved if they try and fob you off. Here's hoping you get it sorted and you can get back to enjoying your mini.

Hmfc1874
7th November 2014, 12:23 AM
Iv taken a screen shot of every phone call iv made from my mobile. Iv asked my mechanic to work out a potential invoice for the necessary repair works so I can email it down to the garage. Should find out how much itl cost tomorrow/sat. I bought my mini from "target vehicle sales" in Ayr. He's got a website etc and the place was nice and he has a garage attached to his forecourt so I know he can do the repair work if need be. I just don't want the hassle of having to drive all the way down there on my own on Monday "/
David you were loads of help the other night, honestly :) my brothers friend has a garage and luckily he offered to take the mini in for free as I was getting so upset with it all. Just a worry as iv got a young daughter and the cars technically dangerous now, it can cut out at any time, twice now it's cut out in the middle of me pulling out at a junction and a roundabout "/ so I'm not even sure I'd make it to Ayr in one piece. Plus if he tells me he will fix it how the hell do I get home? Lol! I love my mini and I don't want to have to give her back :(

Eddie_JCW
7th November 2014, 12:43 AM
Yeah that's a fair trek, I know Ayr well but haven't heard of that garage (had a look at their site). You should be ok ;) they should be able to provide you with a car until yours is fixed but I wouldn't build my hopes up. I hope it's sorted soon.

Hmfc1874
7th November 2014, 12:57 AM
I'm going to phone the citizens advice tomorrow and find out what my options are. I really don't want to have to fork out any of my own money getting this fixed up here if I can, unless the garage tell me they'll at least pay for it or refund me some of my money to pay for the repairs. How long should I leave them before going down to pay them a visit?

Eddie_JCW
7th November 2014, 07:08 AM
I'd reckon you'd be best trying to give them as much time as possible but Citizens Advice will hopefully go through that with you :)

Mon the fish
7th November 2014, 07:21 AM
Park your car across their entrance, lock it and walk away. That'll make them fix it

Eddie_JCW
7th November 2014, 07:34 AM
Park your car across their entrance, lock it and walk away. That'll make them fix it

That's like saying to someone to stand on my bus he'll eventually let you on for free... You won't you'll just p*** me off and p*** the rest of the bus off and either way you definitely will not get on.

Mon the fish
7th November 2014, 08:02 AM
Maybe doesn't work on buses lol, but stop a car dealers business, whilst making the rest of their customers aware of their shoddy practice, will make them do something, if they're ignoring the problem

Eddie_JCW
7th November 2014, 08:09 AM
Maybe doesn't work on buses lol, but stop a car dealers business, whilst making the rest of their customers aware of their shoddy practice, will make them do something, if they're ignoring the problem

The thing is though it's not something I'd try with an independent car dealer in the West of Scotland especially not one called Target :lol: with big franchises yes of course but in my opinion that's bad advice. I'm of course a Glaswegian who knows that some car dealership owners might not be legitimate business men :)

Mon the fish
7th November 2014, 08:25 AM
Tbf they sound a right bunch of crooks if they've sold a car with that many faults.

Ayr folk think they're hard weegies, but they're not really. I'm from Ayrshire

Gismo
7th November 2014, 09:12 AM
Whatever you do, do not get the car fixed elsewhere and then expect the seller to pay for it.
By all means get the car fixed, but, expecting the seller to pay when someone else fixes it will give you more hassle than you have at the moment.

I know it's crap, but, if the fix isn't overly expensive i would consider paying for it yourself, far less stress for you, plus, the added time of fuel of getting to and from Ayr, loss of earnings etc etc

Hmfc1874
7th November 2014, 09:33 AM
I can do it on my day off next Monday. But that's only if he gets back to me and agrees for me to take the car down :( I spent a lot of money on the car so really don't see why I should have to pay for it myself. My local garage have been good enough to tell me they'll do me a quote but I dread to think what itl cost :( I'm going to call the guy I bought it from again today and pray he answers but iv given him all week with no joy :( also I will take ur advice and speak to the CAB x x

Gismo
7th November 2014, 09:50 AM
I don't see why I should have to pay for it myselfI fully agree with you, but, you're getting nowhere with this garage, you're getting more stressed every day, you've already spent money and time on phone calls, you're prepared to use you're day off from work to drive down to Ayr, the costs are rising for you all the time.
Of course i'd be pissed about it and would try everything you can, but, it's looking like one of the many dodgy garages littered all around the UK.
I'd give up on the garage if they don't answer or return the next call and go directly to the CAB and get their advice, but, be prepared for everything that involves, likely some cost to you to start the process via your time etc
I really hope you get the garage to respond, i know i would take Gordon's advice and park the car outside their premises with a large sign saying they won't fix the car

Hmfc1874
7th November 2014, 10:08 AM
I'm just pissed at how they've chosen to respond to everything :( I still think my last hope is going down there on Monday but that's an absolute last resort. If the garage was closer I would have already paid them a visit by now so they're lucky they're so far away. I just want them to fix the car and make it road worthy like it should have been when I bought it. I'm shocked that they would behave like this, seems that honest folk really are a dying breed 😢

Hmfc1874
7th November 2014, 11:16 AM
Just spoken to the consumer rights people off the back of the CAB. They're advising me to send in an email to the garage and a recorded letter. Once that is received call them again :( but I can't leave my car like this and drive it. I'll only make matters worse or the fault may even cause me to have an accident if it decides to cut out across a junction again :( I'm raging and all I want is for the garage to answer me.

Have just sent an email to the garage now detailing the faults and that I have spoken to consumer rights.........and funnily enough I have just had a reply from the garage :)

Craig
7th November 2014, 11:48 AM
Hopefully they will help you out... I hate when stuff like this happens, there is just no need.... Remember once this is all over, name and shame the garage so nobody else has to go through this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney
7th November 2014, 01:45 PM
Depending on the warranty you may be able to get any garage to fix it as long as they are vat registered

EcosseGP
7th November 2014, 04:55 PM
Hopefully they will help you out... I hate when stuff like this happens, there is just no need.... Remember once this is all over, name and shame the garage so nobody else has to go through this :)

I think that's already been done mate .. but not by Hannah :)

Hmfc1874
7th November 2014, 07:16 PM
I wish I could have just taken it elsewhere to fix but they're saying they need to get it back to resolve "/ so looks like a 3hr drive for me there and god only knows how il get myself back on Monday :( coz I can't see them fixing it the same day :( argh! Hating life tonight, but at least they've finally got back in touch, that's a small glimmer of hope at least x

EcosseGP
7th November 2014, 09:56 PM
It's always the same though Hannah if you buy a car elsewhere and have to return it. I'm sure if you approach the situation correctly and explain the situation they "may" offer or you could suggest the possibility of a courtesy car. If they're going to repair if for you then it may well be worth the journey in the long run and whilst I've never been in your situation I can totally understand how frustrating it clearly is. The best thing for you though is to stay strong and be forceful without being over aggressive and don't back down if you feel that they're trying to fob you off.
I know it sounds daft but did you have someone check the car mechanically when you bought it or was it a case of buying from a garage in the hope they'd have checked it properly before you bought it ?

Hmfc1874
8th November 2014, 12:55 AM
It had just been MOT'd a month previous to my visit so I wasn't worried about the car at all as it had sat in the forecourt once it had been MOT'd. I took a time served mechanic with me, The engine bay was completely spotless the day we went to see the car and it ran like a dream on the test drive and for about a week after I got it home. The only thing he wasn't happy with at the time was the poor refurb job on the wheels and the windscreen had been chipped during it's valet.

I work in high level complaints so I know how to handle myself in situations like this thankfully, I just hate having to go down there on my own as I'm not a mechanic and this is my first mini so I'm also not clued up on anything he may say to me. So that bit feels a bit out of my comfort zone.
I just hope they help me out and get her fixed, I love my car :(

Hmfc1874
8th November 2014, 01:59 AM
Thank you :) I'm hooked on them so this has just made me want to keep hold of the one I have if I can. I had/have so many plans for it :) it's put me off the garage and if they do the repair work I will still take it away for a second opinion just to make sure everything's been done properly :) but it's definitely not put me off MINI, not by a long shot. The second I drove it, I told myself "why have you gone this long without driving one of these?!" Haha!
I will keep a level head when it comes to this though, I have to, it's not in my nature to lose the rag easily, and I don't want my own stupidity to burn me in the long run. As long as the garage accept responsibility and fix the faults to make my car safe il be happy. X

Hmfc1874
8th November 2014, 08:51 AM
Thank you. I'm going to take your advice and print off a rejection letter and take it with me. He knows fine well that I love the car, I just hope he's going to be willing to do the repairs and quickly to stop him losing the sale.
He has a mechanic on site so it shouldn't be too much for him to organise, fingers crossed :) x

Hmfc1874
8th November 2014, 01:40 PM
That's the engine management light now come on 😭😭😭😭 sigh! Monday can't come quick enough

EcosseGP
10th November 2014, 07:57 PM
Well Hannah how did you get on today ?

Hmfc1874
10th November 2014, 08:18 PM
Christ, where do I start :( I'm finally home. I kinda felt a bit under fire :( I didn't get a courtesy car, even after I asked for one as I had a 4 train journey to get myself home. He said they're going to be lucky to get it back to me by Friday "/ he said he had googled the vanos fault code and said it's to do with my r56 not having a specific sensor or something so they're going to order this in and fit.....but I'm still unsure what exactly is causing the engine problem. It's almost like the car has no power, like a limp mode or something "/ I'm stumped, I just hope the garage get their finger out and get my car back to me ASAP x

EcosseGP
10th November 2014, 08:27 PM
Well it's in their hands now Hannah, you've done the hard bit getting there and back. Fingers crossed and I await the update hopefully it all runs smoothly for Friday but don't rush to get it back if it's not right ..

Hmfc1874
10th November 2014, 08:31 PM
I just need to sit with my fingers and toes crossed that they find the fault ASAP and get it all fixed :( I hate being carless x

badwolf340
10th November 2014, 08:56 PM
the bit I am concerned with is that they used google :thud:

EcosseGP
10th November 2014, 09:02 PM
^^ yeah doesn't bode well if the mechanic uses google to find out what the fault "could" be.
With any luck they change both sensors and that'll be it sorted ..

Hmfc1874
10th November 2014, 09:05 PM
Ur not the only one 😩 I honestly just want them to say oh it's this tiny little thing here, and I get the car back and it's running like a dream again....wishful thinking I know :) x

MINI William
10th November 2014, 10:02 PM
Sounds like a step in the right direction. Hopefully this gets sorted soon and you can get back to enjoying your car

Mon the fish
10th November 2014, 10:28 PM
Make sure they confirm the car is fixed before you set off to get it back

Hmfc1874
10th November 2014, 10:57 PM
Yeh it's going to b another hellish trip to go pick it up and I won't be collecting it til everything that was in my initial complaint letter is corrected. I just want the nippy little car back that I bought, not the dangerous sluggish heap it turned into :( x

Hmfc1874
12th November 2014, 12:21 PM
That's the car ready :) just need to find someone to drive me down to ayr today or tomorrow so I can pick it up. Needed new sparks and coil pack, also needed the two new sensors for the vanos code to clear. All running fine now he says so will try and get my finger out and go get her ASAP. I'm back to driving my fiesta and I'm hating it lol c

Gismo
12th November 2014, 12:24 PM
Sounds good, fingers crossed all is well and you get back to enjoying the car :thumbs up: :motoring:

Hmfc1874
12th November 2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks, just glad it's all fixed. Was worried it was going to be something hellish but as long as it's running the way it was when I bought it il be happy. Least that's less things for me to replace later on down the line x

stoney
12th November 2014, 01:00 PM
Hope all is fixed for you and you get back to enjoying the car 👍

Eddie_JCW
12th November 2014, 01:07 PM
Hope it's all fixed so you can finally relax behind the wheel :thumbs up:

Craig
12th November 2014, 02:12 PM
Sounds like a result ! Fingers crossed all is well now :)

EcosseGP
12th November 2014, 03:07 PM
Sounds like they've sorted it and fingers crossed that's the end of the problems and you can get that MINI grin back on your face. :)

DigitalLemming
12th November 2014, 04:36 PM
Great news, hopefully it's all fixed now and you can start enjoying the car again :thumbs up:

davidmacdonald306
13th November 2014, 05:00 PM
Really glad to hear you got it sorted. Here's wishing you trouble free motoring from here on!

Hmfc1874
13th November 2014, 05:02 PM
Leaving to go pick her up shortly, can't wait. Il know as soon as I get in and start up if everything's been sorted. Fingers crossed :) x

EcosseGP
13th November 2014, 05:03 PM
Good luck Hannah and stay calm if it's not right (I'm sure it will be though) .. We await your verdict :)

Craig
13th November 2014, 06:07 PM
Best of luck !!

MINI William
13th November 2014, 06:34 PM
Good luck. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Hmfc1874
13th November 2014, 09:56 PM
Got my car back 😍
Car was left outside the garage gates with the key under the tyre. Didn't get to speak to anyone but car looks and feels better. Will know more when I see it all in the daylight x x

EcosseGP
13th November 2014, 10:14 PM
Well at least it was still there when you arrived ..
Great news that everything appears fixed.
I'd have someone just check it over tomorrow to make sure you're happy with it all ..
Hope the smile has returned .. :)

Hmfc1874
14th November 2014, 09:36 AM
Smile has deffo returned. Been feeling a bit rough the last few days so will have my dad check it tomorrow. Definitely happy to be back in the mini :) x

EcosseGP
14th November 2014, 09:55 AM
Well in that case welcome back .. Oh the joys of car ownership !!