PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for a reconditioned engine?

Jimmybeattie
29th October 2014, 02:10 AM
Hi guys,

My cousins Mini Cooper s has snapped the timing belt and the engines had it! Can anyone recommend somewhere in scotland that can supply and fit a recon engine? He's in the north east (near elgin) but can get the car to wherever is needed. He has no clue when it comes to mechanics and I've had no dealing with mini's apart from a classic 1000cc thing I had about 20 years ago so really looking for a garage that would be reputable and isn't going to charge the earth!

His cars a 2009 cooper s and it's the turbocharged version

Thanks for any help/advice

Jim

Mon the fish
29th October 2014, 07:15 AM
It's got a timing chain - has the chain actually snapped?

badwolf340
29th October 2014, 07:42 AM
Unusual for a chain to let go without prior warning ,best for some investigation work first,then you know what's going on

Jimmybeattie
29th October 2014, 06:09 PM
Ah ok. I've spoken to him again and it turns out it's nothing to do with the timing chain. Cylinder 4 has basicly melted is what I've been told. I have heard about them doing something like this before. My guess is that it could be rebored and sleeved. But he keeps saying he just wants a replacement engine stuck in!

EcosseGP
29th October 2014, 07:23 PM
I've got a good friend in the central belt that'll be happy to change an engine .. If that what he wants.
Great reputation and also the only people I trust to work on mine. Bit of a hassle to get it down for him but that could be sorted if required too.

jdl_1967
29th October 2014, 10:24 PM
I've got a good friend in the central belt that'll be happy to change an engine .. If that what he wants.
Great reputation and also the only people I trust to work on mine. Bit of a hassle to get it down for him but that could be sorted if required too.

If we're talking about the same people, I'll second your suggestion Davy. Over the moon with my half engine rebuild!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jimmybeattie
30th October 2014, 12:27 AM
Yeh that sounds good. Can you send me his details please.

Jimmybeattie
31st October 2014, 01:01 AM
Supposedly it was a timing bracket that broke and let to all the problems?!

Mon the fish
31st October 2014, 07:11 AM
I've heard of the chain guide breaking on the R56, which could cause all sorts of problems as that will throw the timing out

EcosseGP
31st October 2014, 07:34 PM
jimmy ... PM sent :)

Jimmybeattie
1st November 2014, 08:53 PM
Replied. Thanks again