PDA

View Full Version : Vanos sensor issue. Ongoing.

Ferengo
22nd October 2014, 07:01 PM
hi guys. Not been on here in ages. Have a question.

I have an R56 Mini Cooper. I get a fault with the engine management light. I've been told by my local garage it was probably the Vanos sensor. While my wife was away the sensor came on again. She took it to the local mini garage where she was. They tested it and replaced the oxygen sensor. It was on the receipt as oxygen sensor M11.78.7.590.713 037754/PROBE.

Anyway, that was back in April, the warning light has come on again. It went into my local garage who said it was the sensor again. They reset it but said it might come on again and that they'd have to get someone in to specially reset it as the values may not have been reset when it was done by the mini garage in April. The words they used were "it may still have the old values".

What I want to know is 1. was the part that was replaced by mini back in april the vanos sensor. 2. If it was and they should have reset the values, should I take it back into them and ask for it to be done for free rather than having my local garage do it and charge me? 3. How long do mini warranty their parts for?

I should point out that there's no way we can take it back to the Mini garage it went to in April as it's too far away, it would have to go to my local Mini garage.

Hope that all makes sense but post below if it doesn't and I try to clarify.

Oh, I also have all the receipts from back in April if need be.

Thanks, G.

EcosseGP
22nd October 2014, 08:37 PM
If it was me I'd personally take it to the local MINI garage with the receipt and explain the issue.
Yes they should've have reset the values if that was is required after fitting the part.
OEM parts are usually warrantied for 1 year but some parts can carry a 2 year warranty.

The only issue may be is that there are two O2 sensors (in the exhaust) and it could be that the other sensor has now failed. You'd need to know which one they replaced pre or post cat ...

Hope this helps ...

MINI William
22nd October 2014, 09:29 PM
As above

Ferengo
22nd October 2014, 09:43 PM
I'll give mini a call tomorrow and find out what part was replaced and also the garage as to which sensor it was. If it is the same sensor then I'll take it in. Thanks for the help guys. I'll post up what happens.

badwolf340
23rd October 2014, 09:43 AM
Keep us up to date ,good to know the outcome :yes nod:. From reading your post does not sound like they replaced the vanos sensor ,but as stated by Davie there are 2 sensors pre and post cat ,the main issue is was it a faulty sensor or something else to bring on CEL light Eg faulty Cat ? And if it was a faulty sensor has the other sensor now failed ,what year and mileage are on car ?

Ferengo
23rd October 2014, 09:57 AM
Hi.

Agree. I went to my local garage this morning with the work sheets and they confirmed that it was not the vanos sensor that had been replaced and it was pre cat oxygen sensor that was replaced.

So the issue now is the vanos sensor again and it looks like it might need replaced. They're going to speak to someone who has experience of the issues with them to see if anything can be done before replacing it as I was quoted around 400-500 for it to be replaced around 6-7 months ago. Does that sound about the right price?

The car is a 2007 mini cooper with around 55000 on the clock give or take a couple of thousand. Always been serviced when needed.

JOHN MILNE
24th October 2014, 12:16 PM
the vanos sensor part number is 11 36 8 610 388
as i have repalced one one ny car
ther are two fitted one on front of cylinder head for exhaust
one at back for inlet

Ferengo
24th October 2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks John.

Was it a big or long job to replace it? Also how much was the sensor if you don't mind me asking (PM me if you want to)?

Thanks, G.

EcosseGP
24th October 2014, 12:25 PM
Thought it'd be an O2 sensor they're prone to going .. If the pre cat one has been replaced the post one won't be far from going either they always seem to go in pairs !
You'll get a new non OEM vanos sensor for £95
There are two soleniods fitted to the car, inlet and exhaust, both are the same so you'll need to know which one has the fault. Once the new one has been the car will require programming.
I'm not too sure what's involved in the job but given if you can supply the part I doubt labour would be near your quoted figure.
Do you get Fault codes P0014, P0011, P11A8 or anti pollution display, ecu coming on when it's scanned for faults ?

EcosseGP
24th October 2014, 12:26 PM
You beat me to it .. Maybe John can tell you how much the job cost (part/labour) ?

EcosseGP
24th October 2014, 12:28 PM
Having had a look at the engine diagram they seem pretty easy to get at .. One at the front of the engine and one at the rear but that's not saying they'll be easy to get at in reality :(

Ferengo
24th October 2014, 12:29 PM
Hi MiniGP.

No idea of the fault codes. Not in a position to read them either. Just trying to figure out of the price is about right and if there's anyway it could be done cheaper. The reason being my Audi has issues with it's paint. So with that it's either fix the paint or new car. Along with 400-500 on the Mini it's a lot to payout in one month. :sad:

Mon the fish
24th October 2014, 12:34 PM
Surely there's someone near you with a code reader, i.e. Torque or Scangauge?

Ferengo
24th October 2014, 12:37 PM
totally. The guys at my garage have read it and said the vanos sensor needs replacing. They never told me what the code was though. Suppose I could call them but I'll be in there potentially looking to replace my Audi with something on their forecourt.

JOHN MILNE
24th October 2014, 12:40 PM
i work in a garage so there was no cost for labourthe solenoid was easy to get to its held on with one bolt
we renewed the front one which was the exhausy
they retail at 62.94 but with trade i only paid 56.00
the fault codes on my car were 2842 vanos exhaust activation 283D vanos adaptation stop

Mon the fish
24th October 2014, 12:42 PM
I was meaning someone on here, just to confirm what codes are showing

Ferengo
24th October 2014, 12:45 PM
I was meaning someone on here, just to confirm what codes are showing

Gotcha, lol

- - - Updated - - -

i work in a garage so there was no cost for labourthe solenoid was easy to get to its held on with one bolt
the fault codes on my car were 2842 vanos exhaust activation 283D vanos adaptation stop

Thanks man.

EcosseGP
24th October 2014, 02:30 PM

Excellent John thank you.
I would say £400-£500 is excessive for the bill given Johns information :(

JOHN MILNE
24th October 2014, 02:55 PM
I think we took old solenoid out put new one in less than ten minutes

Ferengo
24th October 2014, 03:13 PM
This worries me a little as I actually trust this garage. Might ask them when I go back in exactly what's making it cost so much. Then I'll report back. Might not be for a few days though.