PDA

View Full Version : Engine Squeal

SBLTO
28th September 2014, 01:08 PM
Wondering if anyone can help...

The R53 has recently started making a squealing sound at around 2000rpm on lift off. From what I can see the belts etc look fine but its starting to worry me, was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? It doesn't happen all the time (mostly in higher gears) and almost sounds like brake pad squeal and lasts about 2/3 seconds. Appreciate any help!

jdl_1967
28th September 2014, 09:06 PM
Just a guess, but it may well be the tensioner on the belt on its way out.

When you let off the power the belt loses tension and if the tensioner isn't working properly it may allow the belt to go loose and you get slight slippage causing the squeal.

Basically the wee damper might be shot and allowing the spring to bounce all over the place when letting off the accelerator.

You can remove the damper without removing the whole tensioner to check if it's lost its resistance. I removed my o/s wheel and wheel arch liner and its right in front of you.

SBLTO
29th September 2014, 09:42 PM
Just a guess, but it may well be the tensioner on the belt on its way out.

When you let off the power the belt loses tension and if the tensioner isn't working properly it may allow the belt to go loose and you get slight slippage causing the squeal.

Basically the wee damper might be shot and allowing the spring to bounce all over the place when letting off the accelerator.

You can remove the damper without removing the whole tensioner to check if it's lost its resistance. I removed my o/s wheel and wheel arch liner and its right in front of you.

Thanks for that mate! I'll have a wee look this week. It would be nice if that was the case because they're not too costly!