PDA

View Full Version : Help - expansion tank problems!

MarkR53S
21st September 2014, 08:10 PM
Hi guys,

After a spirited drive today and coming to a stop I noticed that the fan was on and working hard. Opened the bonnet to see the expansion tank boiling and pushing coolant out. Let the car cool and when I opened the expansion tank lid there was clearly oil there! I had to drive an hour home along the motorway after discovering this. I got home and also noticed what can only be described as oil spatter over rear of car as if it had been blowing out the exhaust.

Really nervous about the symptoms!

Any ideas and has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,

Mark

SeanC
21st September 2014, 08:20 PM
Sounds like you have blown the cylinder head gasket. Is there any water in your oil?

EcosseGP
21st September 2014, 08:23 PM
Certainly doesn't sound the best especially if you're 100% certain that there's oil in the water. I'd get it checked properly before taking it any further or you could do more damage :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarkR53S
21st September 2014, 08:23 PM
I checked the dipstick and couldn't see any but will look properly tomorrow. Oh crap my wife is going to kill me if the cylinder head has gone!!

SeanC
21st September 2014, 08:37 PM
I'd maybe pull a spark plug out and see if its wet. The oil splatters doesn't sound too good and could be something else like worn piston rings. What mileage is on the car?

MarkR53S
21st September 2014, 08:44 PM
I can't get to the plugs easy as I have an airtech intercooler and would need to remove. Mileage is 80,000 and I'm running 17% pulley reduction with cold air intake. I'm sure the increase boost won't have helped. I think this is one for the garage!

Having read a bit more and considering my expansion tank has a creamy white substance in it and smells like a petrol station, it's not looking good!

SeanC
21st September 2014, 08:51 PM
Definitely sounds like you have blown the head Mark. I'd get a garage to give it an assessment :sad: