PDA

View Full Version : My first mini

davidmacdonald306
18th September 2014, 05:53 PM
Hi everyone, so early next week I'll be picking up my first ever mini, it's a 2003 Cooper s and I'd like to take it to the occasional track day so would be very interested in hearing from those who have done this, to get some tips on what is best to do first. Many thanks and I look forward to getting involved in the mini scene.

MINI William
18th September 2014, 06:10 PM
Welcome to NMS

Eddie
18th September 2014, 06:33 PM
Hi👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
18th September 2014, 06:43 PM
Welcome along and congratulations on your purchase.
Track days are great fun but the first thing I would say is make sure the car is fully checked and up to the task to start with. Nothing worse than just going out and only managing a few laps before having to come off for some reason.
Personally for me I'd be checking the engine is ok and thereafter the brakes and suspension. All will under increased stress on the track so just be sensible and don't rush to get on the track ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jonnie
18th September 2014, 07:16 PM
Welcome along.

Eddie_JCW
18th September 2014, 09:09 PM
Welcome to NMS :)

marky
18th September 2014, 09:27 PM
Welcome

Craig
18th September 2014, 09:50 PM
:welcome:

davidmacdonald306
18th September 2014, 10:37 PM
Thanks miniiGp for the advice, what sort of things should I be getting checked? And once these are taken care of, then what? I've seen the John Cooper works pack gives a bit more power but also 1320 seem to have a lot of reasonable offers for good power gains.

davidmacdonald306
18th September 2014, 10:44 PM
Also any advice on exhaust systems would be great

Duncan Stewart
19th September 2014, 07:26 AM
Welcome

Mon the fish
19th September 2014, 08:44 AM
1320 are brilliant. I drove 9 and a half hours to get them to remap my car as I trust them completely.

They can do a health check on your car, before you mod anything to make sure it's up to it. Maybe good to give them a call, speak through your plans and work out your best course of action.

Oh, and welcome! Whereabouts are you based?

EcosseGP
19th September 2014, 05:51 PM
Also any advice on exhaust systems would be great

What you looking at putting on ?
I had a custom one made at Stainless Steel Creations, Falkirk which is good and just the same price as a standard one. Others have gone down various routes .. Is there anything wrong with the exhaust you've got on it ?

Few stories about 1320 (that I can assure you are true) at the mo but certainly depending on what you fancy doing they are a well respected MINI tuner. If you're local to Falkirk I can also recommend a very competent garage for work ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidmacdonald306
20th September 2014, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info minigp , what's the garage in falkirk called and do they also do tuning?

EcosseGP
20th September 2014, 07:48 PM
The garage is Burgoynes at Airth they don't do so called tuning but are happy to sort anything you want .. suspension, pulley, engine work etc ..

D3 JDA
20th September 2014, 11:43 PM

davidmacdonald306
21st September 2014, 02:09 AM
What would you guys recommend when it's comes to sorting the handling? I drive half hour to and from work but I don't mind sacrificing a bit of comfort for a quicker lap time. Thanks again

jonnie
21st September 2014, 07:38 AM
See if you can find r56 front discs and calipers, make a big difference to the r53 stopping power.

Mon the fish
21st September 2014, 10:52 AM
Handling - coils, adjustable top mounts, rear control arms, anti-roll bars, polybushes, braces, front arm spacers etc etc...

davidmacdonald306
27th September 2014, 12:35 AM
Well I'm just back from Yorkshire with my Cooper s and all I can say is.....wow! What an awesome car. I was really worried about how it would stack up against my 306 gti-6 but after driving close to 300 miles home I'm happy to say I made a good choice. Will give it a good wash tomorrow and get some pics up.

Eddie
27th September 2014, 09:18 AM
More than just a car. It's a lifestyle. 👌

Gismo
27th September 2014, 11:35 AM
Handling - coils, adjustable top mounts, rear control arms, anti-roll bars, polybushes, braces, front arm spacers etc etc...:welcome:
What he says, plus if you want to do engine work then there are many options for you, 1320 probably being the best

However, having said all that, some well earned money spent on track driving lessons will ensure you are way faster than some modified cars driven by poor drivers :thumbs up:

davidmacdonald306
28th September 2014, 12:34 AM
Hey Eddie I was havin a read through your project thread, I've seen you a couple times at Crail. Just thought you should know I took your car into consideration when buying mine as an example of what can be done to the mini, so cheers.

Eddie
28th September 2014, 11:44 PM
Hey Eddie I was havin a read through your project thread, I've seen you a couple times at Crail. Just thought you should know I took your car into consideration when buying mine as an example of what can be done to the mini, so cheers.

Great news m8. And flatterd you like my mini that it put you behind the wheel of 1 too. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh and on our club runs etc 👍

Colin
3rd October 2014, 12:45 PM

Crombers
4th October 2014, 01:10 AM
Welcome to NMSland :saltireflag: